IGNORED

Car Broken Into

cider11

Getting back to the car after today's game my car had been broken into. Were no obvious signs til I had rang the police and lock has been damaged and door has been drilled by the lock.

Sat down in the car and glovebox lid was open (was all closed when left the car) and sat nav and iPod been nicked with all the cables and cradle. Suprissingly a pair of £90 sunglasses were still sitting in there.

So if anyone else was parked down Manor Mill Lane just off the A6110 might want to check your locks. Even if you didn't have anything pinched as were a few city fans parked near us.

This has been a very decent place to debate football upto the match but it seems that defeat has soured many people.

Leeds is not a shithole. Neither is Bristol, I doubt, but I'm sure away fans have had their cars done over there. Scum is everywhere I'm afraid, and your fair city is no better.

Had a cracking night out last night with one of your posters - he actually said that Leeds was similar to Bristol.

This has been a very decent place to debate football upto the match but it seems that defeat has soured many people.

Leeds is not a shithole. Neither is Bristol, I doubt, but I'm sure away fans have had their cars done over there. Scum is everywhere I'm afraid, and your fair city is no better.

Had a cracking night out last night with one of your posters - he actually said that Leeds was similar to Bristol.

I took a bus ride in to the City Centre to have a butchers about before game on the number 55 bus, and it took us through an area called Holbeck which had a load of houses boarded up and many old run down terraced houses.

When I got to the centre, I was pleasantly surprised at what a nice area it is, some of the architecture was stunning. However, I then had to catch the number 74 bus back to Elland Road, and again some of the outskirts are pretty bad.

Comparing the City centres between Leeds and Bristol is comparable, however Bristol has nowhere near the same scale of boarding up houses and desolute areas that Leeds appears to have.

I don't know Bristol well enough but my City mate was telling me about a couple of areas of Bristol that make Toxteth look posh?

The truth is that those areas you mentioned are poor. Poorer than when the Tories were last in power - thanks Tony and Gordon. Those people have been consistently shat on over the years.

The better areas of Leeds are to the west and north. Pudsey, Adel, etc etc. I could have driven you for just fifteen minutes away from the ground to find this sort of scenery:

53809_lee100073_img_01.jpg_e_4a3cf8d92a0f70e9d993d19a6595f641.jpg

But it is a tradition for fans of all clubs to go to an away ground and call the relevant towns and cities shiteholes. It's just something that we all do, especially when we lose.

It was I that SR1 is referring to. Indeed, the centre of Leeds is remarkably similar to Bristol in many ways. I also passed some absolute shitholes on the drive in, but for anyone who doesn't think Bristol is at least on a par for this I give you:

St Pauls

St Werburghs

St Agnes

Montpelier

Easton

Eastville

Knowle

Knowle West

Hartcliffe

All places you would drive past and label as shitholes from a purely visual perspective

Had a cracking night out in Leeds sampling some odd, but tasty beers.

Sorry to hear about the car break in, but could happen in the middle of Kensington, let alone Leeds

It was I that SR1 is referring to. Indeed, the centre of Leeds is remarkably similar to Bristol in many ways. I also passed some absolute shitholes on the drive in, but for anyone who doesn't think Bristol is at least on a par for this I give you:

St Pauls

St Werburghs

St Agnes

Montpelier

Easton

Eastville

Knowle

Knowle West

Hartcliffe

All places you would drive past and label as shitholes from a purely visual perspective

Sorry to hear about the car break in, but could happen in the middle of Kensington, let alone Leeds

Knowle?

Knowle west maybe, but Knowle itself is a very expensive area

St Pauls

St Werburghs

St Agnes

Montpelier

Easton

Eastville

Knowle

Knowle West

Hartcliffe

What's wrong with Montpelier ?? (or St Werburghs come to think of it)

I'm from Bristol but have lived in Leeds for the last 14 years. Although Bristol has recently regenerated parts of it's city centre, Leeds has continually regenerated for well over the last ten years. Yes, the area around Elland Road is crap but to compare city centres, I'd have to say Leeds has the edge.

Knowle is a lovely area with some nice parks and some fantastic views over the hills.

How about Barton Hill or Kingswood?

And some horrific looking estates.

I've already said I'm not passing judgement on the places, merely pointing out that beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Actually I am somewhat passing judgement. I deal with these areas so feel qualified to

Guest Red Onion

And some horrific looking estates.

I've already said I'm not passing judgement on the places, merely pointing out that beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Actually I am somewhat passing judgement. I deal with these areas so feel qualified to

I am really offended by your comments Matty H. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of the places you listed. You are a classist, racist, snob and i very much doubt that you've ever been to any of those places in your entire life. Notice how he hasn't mentioned any north Bristol neighbourhoods?

I hate people like you who give the working class a poor self esteem. Alot of my friends in their mid 20's are buying properties in Knowle West because it's the only area newlyweds and those with young families can afford a decent home. If you go there during rush hour, you will see all the people coming home from work or bringing their kids home from school, and you would feel ashamed that you went on a public forum to talk unjustified classist bullshit about them & their neighbourhood.

In future, keep your old fashioned classist bigotry to yourself.

I was working in Bradford on saturday and getting the train back through Leeds I can safely say I saw both ends of the Leeds fans spectrum. Standing next to three Leeds fans who new their onions and I had a great conversation with them about the two teams and football. They knew a lot about City. Then I saw a group of other Leeds fans at one of the stations breaking down a TV and lobbing bits of it at passers by and trains.

I've only been on the train through Leeds but 100 yards either side of the train track is horrible...

Bradford is 30,000 times worse.

Although our bad bits are bad I dont think they are in the scale of bad bits up north (Having not been to Leeds) I assume Leeds is like Liverpool where the city centre is as good if not better than Bristols. But the bad bits are a hell of alot worse than our bad bits. Anfield for example feels like being in a 3rd world. You can not go anywhere in Bristol and see near whole streets boarded up.

I Dont think its a north south thing, there are areas of London that are derelict and boarded up, the potential property values are in millions, there are houses in Harrogate, not a million miles from Leeds that are comparative to those in Clifton etc.

Both cities have their good and bad, neither are as bad as Cardiff or Newport, Dundee or Bradford etc etc

I Dont think its a north south thing, there are areas of London that are derelict and boarded up, the potential property values are in millions, there are houses in Harrogate, not a million miles from Leeds that are comparative to those in Clifton etc.

Both cities have their good and bad, neither are as bad as Cardiff or Newport, Dundee or Bradford etc etc

The south of England is quite considerably better off than the north mate

I was working in Bradford on saturday and getting the train back through Leeds I can safely say I saw both ends of the Leeds fans spectrum. Standing next to three Leeds fans who new their onions and I had a great conversation with them about the two teams and football. They knew a lot about City. Then I saw a group of other Leeds fans at one of the stations breaking down a TV and lobbing bits of it at passers by and trains.

I've only been on the train through Leeds but 100 yards either side of the train track is horrible...

Bradford is 30,000 times worse.

I've never been to Leeds but, having watched City at Bradford, I can confirm that the emboldened text is true whistle.gif

Onion - suck my fat one. I'm working class all my life. I run a business of gas engineers. If you don't like me slagging off your estate - tough shit mate. Free speech country and your opinion means **** all to me. Notice I commented on estates, nothing about any one, particular person. You turned it personal, so I'll return the favour. **** you. Simples

So to summarise, after Onion took things and twisted them: looks can be deceiving. Just because somewhere looks a dump doesn't necessarily mean it is. It can be, as my experience shows me, but it also isn't necessarily a reflection of the people that live their either.

I'm sorry, don't agree that Montpelier looks a shithole, it's full of rich history (Picton Street) character and good pubs, Star & Garter excluded.

Archived