IGNORED

Akinde

Whale Eye Beef Hooked

On talk sport today there was a scout who used to work for Bolton. He was saying that he recommended John Akinde to the then manager Gary Megson but it fell through at the last minute.

I can see John's carear going down the same path as Clayton Fortune's ( showing loads of promise but falling away )

Akinde suffered greatly from not being given a chance. In the two years since he signed for us we've given him one league start.

We sent him out on loan in league one and he got 7 in 11. It's been bit part loans and downhill from there.

I'd say his development has been stunted by the lack of opportunity and lack of confidence that has caused.

I have no doubt if Albert Adomah had signed and sat on the bench, and then the reserves, and then got loaned, he would not develop at the rate he is currently either.

Players do not improve unless they play first team football regularly. That's why prem managers are careful about youth loans.

Akinde suffered greatly from not being given a chance. In the two years since he signed for us we've given him one league start.

We sent him out on loan in league one and he got 7 in 11. It's been bit part loans and downhill from there.

I'd say his development has been stunted by the lack of opportunity and lack of confidence that has caused.

I have no doubt if Albert Adomah had signed and sat on the bench, and then the reserves, and then got loaned, he would not develop at the rate he is currently either.

Players do not improve unless they play first team football regularly. That's why prem managers are careful about youth loans.

That was league Two, March to May 2009.

I think he's not fulfilled his early promise and isn't quite good enough.

Shame, because he's quick and strong but he hasn't kicked on and all his league one loan spells have been poor.

For me you are exactly right, Nibor. Albert would have been a fringe player if Johnson was still here and his raw talent would have been stifled by the lack of Championship action or being farmed out on loan.

Johnson definitely got that side of things wrong and Akinde has probably had the life sucked out of him by being out on loan time and again and also not being given a chance a year or so ago when we were signing the likes of Agyemang on loan. I think with the proven quality of Stead, Pitman and Maynard in front of him his chances will be limited IF he comes back to the club in January

A wasted talent in my opinion as he looked a frightening talent in his early appearances for the club.

For me you are exactly right, Nibor. Albert would have been a fringe player if Johnson was still here and his raw talent would have been stifled by the lack of Championship action or being farmed out on loan.

Johnson definitely got that side of things wrong and Akinde has probably had the life sucked out of him by being out on loan time and again and also not being given a chance a year or so ago when we were signing the likes of Agyemang on loan. I think with the proven quality of Stead, Pitman and Maynard in front of him his chances will be limited IF he comes back to the club in January

A wasted talent in my opinion as he looked a frightening talent in his early appearances for the club.

On the flip side Fred, you could argue that Johnson got it spot on.

Akinde wasn't good enough for Championship football when he signed. He was signed as 'one for the future'. Sending him out on loan was the correct thing to do. Perhaps when he returned, Johnson (who would have seen him every day in training, lets remember) could see that he wasn't developing and couldn't risk him in the first team squad during what was a very testing time.

He's still clearly nowhere near Championship standard, so why is it that people are keen to blame Gary Johnson. If he isn't good enough for this level of football now, why do people like yourself and others think that he was good enough 18 months ago??

I think I'm happy to take the Manager's opinion on this, who lets remember, see the player every day in training.

Wasn't good enough then, isn't good enough now, maybe a chance he might be good enough in the future (but doubt it).

On the flip side Fred, you could argue that Johnson got it spot on.

Akinde wasn't good enough for Championship football when he signed. He was signed as 'one for the future'. Sending him out on loan was the correct thing to do. Perhaps when he returned, Johnson (who would have seen him every day in training, lets remember) could see that he wasn't developing and couldn't risk him in the first team squad during what was a very testing time.

He's still clearly nowhere near Championship standard, so why is it that people are keen to blame Gary Johnson. If he isn't good enough for this level of football now, why do people like yourself and others think that he was good enough 18 months ago??

I think I'm happy to take the Manager's opinion on this, who lets remember, see the player every day in training.

Wasn't good enough then, isn't good enough now, maybe a chance he might be good enough in the future (but doubt it).

The point is, if he wasn't good enough when we bought him as "one for the future", and we weren't ever going to give him the first team football a player needs to develop, why did we bother? Bit part loans don't help development one little bit. How was Akinde supposed to become good enough for the Championship without playing in the Championship?

Do you think if GJ had signed Albert Adomah he'd have played him? Or would he have been one for the future as well?

The point is, if he wasn't good enough when we bought him as "one for the future", and we weren't ever going to give him the first team football a player needs to develop, why did we bother? Bit part loans don't help development one little bit. How was Akinde supposed to become good enough for the Championship without playing in the Championship?

Do you think if GJ had signed Albert Adomah he'd have played him? Or would he have been one for the future as well?

By doing well in one of his 3 loans to league one sides. Unfortunately all of them were unsuccessful.

Interestingly KM said earlier in the season that it was never the intention to give Albert so many games so early in his City career.

Sometimes young players are so good, and adapt so quickly to a higher level, that they literally force themselves into the team and by doing so well Albert has become more or less undroppable even though it may never have been Millen's intention for him to be a regular at this stage.

The gulf in class between Adomah and Akinde is very plain to see imo., and it is easy to see why a manager would be minded to continue picking an outstanding youngster like Albert whilst never being convinced enough by Akinde to give him a similar run.

It's difficult to say. Adomah was given opportunities largely due to injuries to more established players. He did okay initially, but once the team around him has taken shape, he's flourished. What doesn't help any of our players between 18 and 21 is the reserves playing the likes of Salisbury City and Clevedon as opposed to Championship reserve sides. With the amount of money in the game it speaks volumes that there isn't a structure to ensure like plays like. 10 to 15 Championship reserve games would have shown what Akinde was up to. Fact is we still don't know if he is good enough. Players can have spurts of development, then plateau. There could always be another spurt around the corner. People develop at different paces and in different ways.

I think you should go and watch him train, its definately not a lack of confidence thats keeping him back.

I'm bemused by the comments on here re. Akinde and Adomah.

Whenever I've seen Akinde (which per-force is rarely) he's seems quick, strong and scores goals. I've liked what I've seen. Obviously, he isn't perfect but he could get better with the right training.

Albert has had a fantastic start with City. He's very quick, tricky and causes defenders problems. Again though he isn't perfect. Like all our wingers he seems to struggle with the concept of crossing the ball. And, he has the chronic problem of constantly taking on one player too many. Nevertheless, again with the correct training, I feel that he could improve his all round game. It's shame that Coppell left as I believe he could really have benefited Albert especially.

So, two emerging players who could both get better with correct encouragement. But, one is derided; the other is praised. dunno.gif

I'm bemused by the comments on here re. Akinde and Adomah.

Whenever I've seen Akinde (which per-force is rarely) he's seems quick, strong and scores goals. I've liked what I've seen. Obviously, he isn't perfect but he could get better with the right training.

Albert has had a fantastic start with City. He's very quick, tricky and causes defenders problems. Again though he isn't perfect. Like all our wingers he seems to struggle with the concept of crossing the ball. And, he has the chronic problem of constantly taking on one player too many. Nevertheless, again with the correct training, I feel that he could improve his all round game. It's shame that Coppell left as I believe he could really have benefited Albert especially.

So, two emerging players who could both get better with correct encouragement. But, one is derided; the other is praised. dunno.gif

Chiv's I see what you are saying but I think there is one huge difference between Adomah and Akinde and actually between him and a few others, he plays with his "head up". Alberts awareness of others, even when he is running with the ball is far better than Akinde, Sproule, even to an extent better than Rose or JCR. He also makes intelligent runs off the ball and creates space for others. It's what has set him apart so far and will make him a far better player in the future.

By doing well in one of his 3 loans to league one sides. Unfortunately all of them were unsuccessful.

Loans are very likely to be unsuccessful when the player has not had much first team football and in any case league one football isn't going to help him develop into a Championship player is it?

Do you really think if we'd loaned Adomah out to a club at the bottom of league one he'd be anywhere near as good as he is now after 20 or so games at this level?

Loans are very likely to be unsuccessful when the player has not had much first team football and in any case league one football isn't going to help him develop into a Championship player is it?

Do you really think if we'd loaned Adomah out to a club at the bottom of league one he'd be anywhere near as good as he is now after 20 or so games at this level?

Ribiero, same age, been loaned out to lower league clubs looks at home in a championship team. You either have it or you don`t.

Isn't it? Lots of young players learn their trade in the lower leagues. I can give Beckham at Championship level and Defoe and Ferdinand at League 1 level as examples where it hasn't held back their development. I do agree that playiing in the Championship would be better for his development, but he isn't good enough at the moment (and maybe he never will be) so would hold back the team's progress. Adomah forced his way into the first team through good appearances in pre-season and by playing amazingly well when given the chance for league games. Akinde has never looked that impressive in a City shirt. I can think of maybe one or two games when he came on and played quite well.

Archived