IGNORED

Memories Of Derby

riddlesdown red

As a young lad remember a mid week game home to Derby 76/ or 77 it had rained all day I walked from Whitchurch to the ground arrived wet through and somehow the game went ahead, I stood in the open end it rained throughout the game i believe derby went two up and Derek Hales may have scored. I swear there were only two derby fans in the ground both cheering from the left of the enclosure nearest the open end. If memory serves me well we managed to get back to 2 2 and then I walked all the way home to whitchurch and i didn't stop raining. Now thats entertainment, come on you reds. Was anybody else at thart game?

Remember beating them something like 6-2 in the FA Cup at home, late 70s.

And wasn't it Derby we played a few days after Harry Dolman's death and their fans chanted through the minute's silence, leading to, er, a 'frank exchange of views' on the Park End?

And going to the Baseball Gound in the 80s and getting ambushed by their mob walking through an alley on the way to the ground.

And in the early 90's they answered our chant of 'Dziekanowski' with 'Jackanory!'. Made I laugh.

Those are just a few of my vague, random and possibly entirely inaccurate memories of playing Derby County...:dunno:

Remember beating them something like 6-2 in the FA Cup at home, late 70s.

I can remember that one.

The one that stands out for me was a night game at The Baseball Ground in the mid eighties. I can't remember much about the game but the thing that stood out for me was the wave of noise that came rolling up the pitch whenever Derby attacked, very impressive.

I remember being at Derby in the 80s, think it was the FA cup, Jimmy mann broke his leg and the sound richotted (sp) all around the ground.

Don't remember Jimmy Mann ever badly breaking his leg?dunno.gif

Memories of Derby - the 6-2 at AG in the Cup - wasn't it Howard Pritchard who scored an unlikely hat-trick?

A match at the Baseball Ground, possibly the same season, when Tom Ritchie scored all our goals in a 3-3 draw. First time I'd ever had mushy peas on chips.

A game a couple of years earlier when the City and Derby fans were chanting at each other throughout the match. As soon as the two sets of fans got outside ( the two exit gates only seemed to be yards apart) they flew at each other. The police managed to separate the warring parties with several police horses forming a barrier but one CIty fan was stranded on the wrong side and we could see him up against a wall being absolutely hammered by a dozen or more Derby fans. I remember a City fan with one leg full in plaster hobbling back from the alley as fast as he could in an attempt to join in.

One time we were queuing to get in there and we suddenly realised it was £5 to get in - an unprecedented amount in those days. A number of City fans simply didn't have enough cash on them to get in and were fuming.

Always seemed to be dark and really bad weather when City went to Derby in the First Division days with a very hostile reception from their fans and crowd trouble every time.

As a young lad remember a mid week game home to Derby 76/ or 77 it had rained all day I walked from Whitchurch to the ground arrived wet through and somehow the game went ahead, I stood in the open end it rained throughout the game i believe derby went two up and Derek Hales may have scored. I swear there were only two derby fans in the ground both cheering from the left of the enclosure nearest the open end. If memory serves me well we managed to get back to 2 2 and then I walked all the way home to whitchurch and i didn't stop raining. Now thats entertainment, come on you reds. Was anybody else at thart game?

Remember the game at the Baseball Ground when our keeper got sent off and we had to put an outfield player in goal. If I remember correctly we went 2-0 down and came back to win 4-3 with Wayne Allison getting the winner?

Remember the game at the Baseball Ground when our keeper got sent off and we had to put an outfield player in goal. If I remember correctly we went 2-0 down and came back to win 4-3 with Wayne Allison getting the winner?

This was the 1st time I went to the Baseball Ground, the game was also a rare occasion that we were live on ITV with Malone on Commentary!! haha

We were getting mullered for the 1st half an hour, 2-0 down and looking like conceeding more, then out of nowhere we got a corner, the ball broke, and Steve Sutton dragged Gary Shelton to the floor as he was about to put it in an empty net. Sutton got sent off, and Martin Scott put the penalty away to take us in 2-1 down at the break.

2nd half we started to come back into the game against 10 men, Derby stuck another centre half on, Comyn I think his name was. City took a free kick from deep, Comyn's first touch was to head our equaliser!!

5 mins later, Junior went through to make it 3-2!! happy days!!

Bu the game still had more twists, unbelievably City still contrived to let 10 man Derby back into the game with Paul Simpson (I think) equalising with about 5 to go. Everyone was gutted.

Then in Injury time, Jackie put in a cross from the left and the Chief got his swede on the end of it, and it nestled nicely in the far corner for 4-3 and the winner! needless to say the away end went nuts!!

Unbeleivable game, happy memories indeed!!

Lets hope we can roll the buggers a bit more comfortably today!!

COYR!!!

I remember in about 1980? being 2 nil up at home against them with about 2 mins to go. Derby then scored twice in those last 2 mins to draw 2-2!.

Yep, it was in the Bobby Houghton era.......we gifted them a goal from a dodgy back pass and then Paul Emson equalised for Derby with the last kick of the game.

The result really knocked the stuffing out of the team. Houghton's tactics became extremely negative after that and we ended up getting relegated. :(

This was the 1st time I went to the Baseball Ground, the game was also a rare occasion that we were live on ITV with Malone on Commentary!! haha

We were getting mullered for the 1st half an hour, 2-0 down and looking like conceeding more, then out of nowhere we got a corner, the ball broke, and Steve Sutton dragged Gary Shelton to the floor as he was about to put it in an empty net. Sutton got sent off, and Martin Scott put the penalty away to take us in 2-1 down at the break.

2nd half we started to come back into the game against 10 men, Derby stuck another centre half on, Comyn I think his name was. City took a free kick from deep, Comyn's first touch was to head our equaliser!!

5 mins later, Junior went through to make it 3-2!! happy days!!

Bu the game still had more twists, unbelievably City still contrived to let 10 man Derby back into the game with Paul Simpson (I think) equalising with about 5 to go. Everyone was gutted.

Then in Injury time, Jackie put in a cross from the left and the Chief got his swede on the end of it, and it nestled nicely in the far corner for 4-3 and the winner! needless to say the away end went nuts!!

Unbeleivable game, happy memories indeed!!

Lets hope we can roll the buggers a bit more comfortably today!!

COYR!!!

Yeah i remember that game well, we were stood by the fence next to the home fans who went mental once we went 4-3 up and started making cut-throat gestures to us. It went ballistic outside the ground as their idiots started throwing stones and rubble over a wall at City fans leaving the ground and quite a few City fans were attacked at the station. Those Derby fans dont take defeat very well!

Archived