IGNORED

Venue

Nibbler

Anyone else read this issue of Venue? Their Banana Skin (idiots) of the year award goes to Bristol City with a particularly condescending write up. Obviously I don't read Venue for their sports coverage and I suppose it is written by North Bristol media luvvies but even so, they could make at least a show of neutrality. Anyway, I've cancelled my subsciption.

Oh and they've voted Ollie top Banana, for his services to erm Blackpool.

In case anyone's interested in what irritated me

No, look, no, seriously, no stoppit, no... It's all going pear-shaped for Bristol City at the moment. They're not playing terribly good football, but that's the least of it. There was/is the whole saga of the new stadium, knocked for six by a planning inspector's decision to declare that the 42 acres of wasteland it was to be built on is in fact a town green. This despite uncritical support in the local media, not to mention an army of passionate supporters ready to lend their inarticulate support on the message boards. England's ignominious failure to secure the 2018 World Cup means a critical leg of civic support for the new ground has now been knocked away. Then it was revealed in the spring that club chairman loves the old place so much that he now lives in permanent tax exile in Jersey. Nice. And then there's the whole business of Steve Coppell's brief spell as manager, and his abrupt and mysterious resignation, saying his heart wasn't in the job any more. "Enigmatic" was what all the sports reporters said. Hell, not even the signing of celebrity goalkeeper David James went right, as he let in three goals to Millwall in his first game.

In the interests of balance, we would here like to point out that Bristol Rovers are also shit. In fact, if anything, they're worse.

This follows their write up of our Championship play off final by a Gashead from a 'what inpact it would have on Rovers perspective.'

Another piece of shit now owned and produced by the evening post or their umbrella company, if i am not mistaken of course.*

Never been my sort of thing (student arty farty mag) but used to be decent for what it was, then northcliffe media (evening post) bought.

So would you really expect anything other than lazy, disconnected, hypocritical journalism within it?

* I'm sure this used to be the case at least. Should i be wrong then please accept my appologies and delete this thread.

Another piece of shit now owned and produced by the evening post or their umbrella company, if i am not mistaken of course.*

Never been my sort of thing (student arty farty mag) but used to be decent for what it was, then northcliffe media (evening post) bought.

So would you really expect anything other than lazy, disconnected, hypocritical journalism within it?

* I'm sure this used to be the case at least. Should i be wrong then please accept my appologies and delete this thread.

You're right, it is owned by the Evening Post group. I remember when it was independent and a good read, these days I only buy it as a what's on guide. Not any more though.

Oy oy. I am/was that Archer and have been loyal City since 1976 (first game was the one after promotion) and many years ago I did write the City billings in Venue, while most of the rest were indeed Gasheads. Can't answer for whatever sad state hey're in now, but I must clear my good name - I've actually been to the Gate this very day to buy my Wednesday ticket.

Even back in the Bountyhunter days it had a Rovers bias, Higgitt and Archer were two of the journalists on it then who were gas.

The sports coverage was always piss poor, anyway.

North Bristol shite.

Oy oy. I am/was that Archer and have been loyal City since 1976 (first game was the one after promotion) and many years ago I did write the City billings in Venue, while most of the rest were indeed Gasheads. Can't answer for whatever sad state hey're in now, but I must clear my good name - I've actually been to the Gate this very day to buy my Wednesday ticket.

I'm glad to hear it. The article wouldn't have been quite as irritating if they hadn't done the 'good old working class Ollie vs nasty capitalist Steve Landsdown' schtick. Of course their true colours come out when they describe our fans as inarticulate.

I'm still not sure why the manager of Blackpool is Bristol and Bath's person of the year.

Just logged on for the first time since posting that , so apologies.

Considering Rovers were never a better side than us (bar a very brief spell around 82-83) It was always a suspiciously blue magazine, though........

There seems to be some inherent view that anyone from South Bristol is invariably uneducated and inarticulate, the Redland/Cotham types that Venue appears to be written by and targeted at in particular seem to believe this nonsense.

I'm glad to hear it. The article wouldn't have been quite as irritating if they hadn't done the 'good old working class Ollie vs nasty capitalist Steve Landsdown' schtick. Of course their true colours come out when they describe our fans as inarticulate.

I'm still not sure why the manager of Blackpool is Bristol and Bath's person of the year.

You should post the letter you wrote to them..... its mint.:chant6ez:

Archived