IGNORED

10 Years Ago Today...........

Big Red Rich

I remember this game like it was yesterday, I remember when Beads came on and changed the game for us...ironic as that prick Pethick had injured Peacock in the first half who was on form at the time only to be replaced by Beads!

Football League One - KO 19:45 Bristol C 3 (0) - 2 (1)Bristol R Millen 49

Beadle 55

Thorpe 74

Bignot 1

Cameron 78

At Ashton Gate on 22-12-2000

Bristol C: Phillips, Carey, Bell, Millen, Murray, Thorpe, Hill, Peacock (Beadle, 48 ) , Brown, Tinnion, Clist

Subs not used: Amankwaah,Goodridge,Burnell,Malessa,

Bristol R: Culkin, Foster, Jones, Thomson, Pethick, Bignot, Bryant, Hogg, Evans ( Meaker, 61 ) , Ellington ( Astafjevs, 61 ) , Cameron

Subs not used: Vaaler, Challis,

Bookings: Astafjevs , Evans , Foster (Bristol R) Attendance: 16696

Referee: C R Wilkes (Gloucester)

I remember this game like it was yesterday, I remember when Beads came on and changed the game for us...ironic as that ***** Pethick had injured Peacock in the first half who was on form at the time only to be replaced by Beads!

Football League One - KO 19:45 Bristol C 3 (0) - 2 (1)Bristol R Millen 49

Beadle 55

Thorpe 74

Bignot 1

Cameron 78

At Ashton Gate on 22-12-2000

Bristol C: Phillips, Carey, Bell, Millen, Murray, Thorpe, Hill, Peacock (Beadle, 48 ) , Brown, Tinnion, Clist

Subs not used: Amankwaah,Goodridge,Burnell,Malessa,

Bristol R: Culkin, Foster, Jones, Thomson, Pethick, Bignot, Bryant, Hogg, Evans ( Meaker, 61 ) , Ellington ( Astafjevs, 61 ) , Cameron

Subs not used: Vaaler, Challis,

Bookings: Astafjevs , Evans , Foster (Bristol R) Attendance: 16696

Referee: C R Wilkes (Gloucester)

This is my favourite city game of all-time. It was everything a derby match should be and it was also televised on Sky for all non-Bristolian's to enjoy.

I still remember to this day Tony Thorpe's goal - the finest poachers goal he ever scored and the perfect example of counter-attacking football.

Murray picked up the ball on the edge of the box by the Wedlock stand, ran the entire length of the Williams stand with two defenders in pursuit, got to the edge of the Rovers 18 yard box and whipped in the perfect cross between keeper and defender and Thorpe got in between them to put the ball in the back of the net - and then he had lengthy celebrations in-front of a euphoric Ateyo stand.

Sat watching all of that unfold from Block D of the Dolman stand was just mesmerising and it still makes me smile now just thinking of it.

It was also the first time I had taken an ex-girlfriend to the Gate and I think the buzz and excitement of the game made her - (how can I put this without offending minors) - liberated/charged up!

If anyone has a clip they could upload to Youtube I would be most grateful.

• SC&T Board Members

This is my favourite city game of all-time. It was everything a derby match should be and it was also televised on Sky for all non-Bristolian's to enjoy.

I still remember to this day Tony Thorpe's goal - the finest poachers goal he ever scored and the perfect example of counter-attacking football.

Murray picked up the ball on the edge of the box by the Wedlock stand, ran the entire length of the Williams stand with two defenders in pursuit, got to the edge of the Rovers 18 yard box and whipped in the perfect cross between keeper and defender and Thorpe got in between them to put the ball in the back of the net - and then he had lengthy celebrations in-front of a euphoric Ateyo stand.

Sat watching all of that unfold from Block D of the Dolman stand was just mesmerising and it still makes me smile now just thinking of it.

It was also the first time I had taken an ex-girlfriend to the Gate and I think the buzz and excitement of the game made her - (how can I put this without offending minors) - liberated/charged up!

Surely the run and cross for Thorpe's goal came from Aaron Brown?

Maybe the best Derby day of my generation?

What a day! I still remember drinking vodka and red bull at 11.00am on the way to town.

Waiting all day for Rovers to turn up, but alas no show (how do they all get to bedminster???), laughing at the usual rumour that they've trashed the Colessuem (how many times as that place been 'burnt down' by Millwall, Cardiff etc!!!).

My abiding memory is going 1-0 down, but just not being phased by it at all. I simply knew we would win.

Attendance only 16,600?? Really??

Great days!

Maybe the best Derby day of my generation?

What a day! I still remember drinking vodka and red bull at 11.00am on the way to town.

Waiting all day for Rovers to turn up, but alas no show (how do they all get to bedminster???), laughing at the usual rumour that they've trashed the Colessuem (how many times as that place been 'burnt down' by Millwall, Cardiff etc!!!).

My abiding memory is going 1-0 down, but just not being phased by it at all. I simply knew we would win.

Great days!

Obviously down to the "no shows"!

Rovers didn't bring many and we had alot of City fans in the East End.

As someone else has said, possibly the most memorable City game in my lifetime, despite Coventry game having a bigger significance.

it had everything a local derby should have.

Last working day before xmas, Local derby, live on sky and a big crowd. still got it somewhere on VHS, any highlights of it anywhere? (apart from world) without doubt a CLASSIC match

wow, doesnt time fly, I remember this game so well, it was the last working day and we all finished work in town and got on the beer by 12. I fell asleep in Edwards bogs by 6pm, absolutely steaming. Woke up at 7, big of a hang over and got to the game 5 minutes before kick off.

What a night!

Same ere.

I was chundering in Yates' bar in town by 6pm. Banging hangover by the time I arrived at the Gate, not helped by the gash getting that early goal.

Turned into an incredible night though.

It is a shame we haven't had a derby for a while. The feeling of sickness and hatred seeing those blue and white quarters and gay pirate flags in the East End is something else

So would we!!!!:whistle2:

i went with my son dan who was 6 at the time. i remember him being on my shoulders for a while an hour before kick off. i was approched by a photographer from the eve post asking if he could take a few snaps which i said was ok. a week later my phone was red hot with people telling me they had published so i brought a copy and there was dan on my shoulders hands up with the caption underneath saying daniel age 6 celebrates city,s win over rovers with his dad. maybe the eve post knew something i did,nt as they were taken an hour before kick off. hope you enjot my memories and if you read this son i,m sorry

A couple of mates, gasheds, were drinking in the Plume at Hotwells. They quietly made their way to Ashton, walking along outside The Riser (as it was then). I spotted them and shouted "Hello, Gas", everybody looked round at them, they went all different shades of puce and scurried off into the crowd, well, that's what mates are for!

I also remember the police cheif making a big hoo-ha about players not over celebrating if they scored, so what did Bignob do after he scored early doors, cupped his ears to the Ateyo then remembered the directive and waived away his team mates a la Roberts at Baadiff., what a cock. We mercilessly taunted him the rest of the game after it turned our way (as you do ) !

Same ere.

I was chundering in Yates' bar in town by 6pm. Banging hangover by the time I arrived at the Gate, not helped by the gash getting that early goal.

Turned into an incredible night though.

It is a shame we haven't had a derby for a while. The feeling of sickness and hatred seeing those blue and white quarters and gay pirate flags in the East End is something else

The game being discussed here was actually the last league game we played against them at Ashton Gate. They were relegated to the basement at the enof the season, and we've been streets ahead of them ever since.

Archived