IGNORED

10 Years Ago Today...........

Big Red Rich

The highlights are now on World.

We certainly played some decent stuff under Wilson.

Indeed the first 3 seasons we played some of the most entertaining football I've seen City play, before or since.

However it didn't always win games, which is why he went down the Wigan road in the final season, nearly did it as well, apart from that dreadful day in Cardiff.

Johnson played the same football in his first full season and got that rub of the green on the pitch that Wilson didn't.

Really was a shame that Wilson didn't get us promoted

To this day, that remains my favourite ever game, even though we've had plenty before and after it that were more important in terms of actually achieving something. Before the game we were expected to win comfortably, as we were doing reasonably well. and they were struggling. Then they scored after 28 seconds. From what I recall, we battered them for the rest of the 1st half, but couldn't score, then we came out flying after half time and scored 3, the Thorpe goal is still one of my favourites of all time. Then they scored another, with what was probably their 2nd shot on target in the entire game, but we held on.

I remember seeing the aftermath on Sky, where Hollowhead was being pressed on his future, as they were near the bottom, and he vowed not to quit. Of course, the return fixture that season saw Steve Phillips save THAT penalty (a clip of which is on Youtube) to send them down.

I too have this on VHS somewhere in the jumble sale of my parents' house, shall have to seek it out. It was recorded by a sag mate who I eventually fell out with for good but he had no quelms about me not returning that tape. Memories are fairly vivid unlike the return fixture for which I could barely walk and got started on by one of the angelic blue-few not 20 minutes after Phillips sent the gas down.

Indeed the first 3 seasons we played some of the most entertaining football I've seen City play, before or since.

However it didn't always win games, which is why he went down the Wigan road in the final season, nearly did it as well, apart from that dreadful day in Cardiff.

Johnson played the same football in his first full season and got that rub of the green on the pitch that Wilson didn't.

Really was a shame that Wilson didn't get us promoted

Yes, of course the difference was "luck" wasn't it?

Nothing at all to do with eradicating a drinking culture and buying professionals and not drunkard brawlers..............

City were like a Jekyll and Hyde outft under Wilson. Some performances were simply sublime, to be followed by a dull goalless draw on a cold Tuesday against the likes of Colchester. They were good years, it's just ashame that all that was destroyed by the shocking appointment of Tinnion.

As for the Sags, 10 years ago a terrible backlog of fixtures left them playing games left right and centre in the final weeks of the season - I can see history repeating itself, as their game on boxing day will be off and come the big thaw the pitch will no doubt flood.

Archived