IGNORED

City Vs Reading Match Thread

_Bristol-City_

Iam far from laid back about it, however irrate and stressed I get it won't make us any better or more consistant.

I think we are a few players short of being a top 6 team, let's see if we get a fresh face or 2 in January before we throw in the towel, we are still dangerously close to te relegation places but in a league where anyone can beat anyone, I remain positive that we will do ok............(crosses fingers, touches wood, etc, etc).

I sort of understand where you are coming from, i'm afraid I am not as optimistic. So far 6 goals let in for past 2 games, it's not good enough and excuses are just that excuses. Rose seems to add nothing to the team and the pairing of Skuse and Elliott is appalling and the re-instating of Skuse has coincided with Elliotts improving form suddenly taking a massive nose dive.

Maybe that's why we are not going to win every game. Not too worried about losing to Hull and Reading, both are tough trips. Might be worried if we lose at home to Palace.

Excuse me but our leader actually is on record for telling us 'Hull were there for the taking' and about Reading 'we'll make amends', yep certainly right on both counts 6 goals against 1 for, that gives me real hope, but as long as your not worried about shipping 4 against Reading were ok I suppose.

I sort of understand where you are coming from, i'm afraid I am not as optimistic. So far 6 goals let in for past 2 games, it's not good enough and excuses are just that excuses. Rose seems to add nothing to the team and the pairing of Skuse and Elliott is appalling and the re-instating of Skuse has coincided with Elliotts improving form suddenly taking a massive nose dive.

No doubt in my mind that we need a quality creative midfielder to partner Skuse/Elliot, Johnson is not the answer and neither is Williams, we can keep going back to them over and over again but we need a consistant performer who can add some goals from midfield and some much needed creativity.

In my opinion and it is just that, neither Macca or Nyatanga are up to the job at left back, if we are to keep up with the Jones' then we need more players that are of the ilk of Stead and Maynard, caulker etc, of course that's going to be difficult with our limited budget and more attractive clubs perhaps looking at getting the same signatures in January.

I'd be happy with keeping our prize assets, getting in a quality creative midfielder and consolidating this season and looking on building through the summer with a good pre-season behind us.

Just got back, overall I'd put Citys performance at 6.5 out of 10

First 20 minutes we looked excellent, the goal was due to a moment of brilliance from a rampaging Caulker, chipping the keeper only to hit the bar and Stead sweeping in the rebound. Then with a 1-0 lead we just sat back and let Reading come at us resulting in an inevitable goal, that DJ was unlucky on, he made a brilliant save to push it onto the post only for it to fall kindly for Reading on the rebound.

The second goal was a horror show from Adomah of all people, he picked up the ball in our penalty area and tried to run it towards our corner flag on the right rather than clear his lines, he has his pocket picked by a Reading forward and he sends it across the 6 yard box for a tap-in. The best thing to come out of this incident in my eyes was Jon Stead running over to console a distraught looking Adomah, he had his head in his hands but Stead put his arm round him, pushed his chin up and they got on with it.

The second goal came just before half time and we were really looking to desperately hold it at 1-1 til the break.

After the break we looked to be getting back into the game, city fans in fine voice and the City of the first 20 minutes appeared to be back until we were hit on the break, DJ was a little slow to come off his line and they scored off the post. The 4th was again scored on the break.

Take nothing away from Reading, they played well and took their chances, but I wouldn't say they were 3 goals better than us. There is certainly some cause for concern though, our left flank and centre of midfield looked second best all game. Marv is one of my favourite players, but his shooting is very hit and miss, and today was no different, he picked up the ball 25 yards out on 2 or 3 occassions only to dilly-dally and get closed down or scuff a shot straight to their keeper.

A note on Danny Rose, what an infuriating player he is. The one time he got the ball and had a real go he beat two players and got a good cross in, but that was his sole contribution. He is very lazy and doesn't appear to want to be there, a number of times he fell cheaply and just led on the floor looking at the referee, as per the last game I saw him, at home vs Derby. £2m my arse! I am desperate for him to come good though.

Finally Jon Stead, just a class apart.

That concludes my essay!

Also a note on the Reading fans, very quiet until their third goal went in, up until that point they had limited themselves to half heartedly singing songs back at us

"You're just a small town in Swindon"

followed by

"You're just a small town in Cardiff"

Very poor. The worst for me though were the song about cricket, and that ******* darts song they play after they score, cringe-worthy!!

Stadium quite impressive though, bar the stewards.

First 20 minutes we looked excellent, the goal was due to a moment of brilliance from a rampaging Caulker, chipping the keeper only to hit the bar and Stead sweeping in the rebound. Then with a 1-0 lead we just sat back and let Reading come at us resulting in an inevitable goal, that DJ was unlucky on, he made a brilliant save to push it onto the post only for it to fall kindly for Reading on the rebound.

The second goal was a horror show from Adomah of all people, he picked up the ball in our penalty area and tried to run it towards our corner flag on the right rather than clear his lines, he has his pocket picked by a Reading forward and he sends it across the 6 yard box for a tap-in. The best thing to come out of this incident in my eyes was Jon Stead running over to console a distraught looking Adomah, he had his head in his hands but Stead put his arm round him, pushed his chin up and they got on with it.

The second goal came just before half time and we were really looking to desperately hold it at 1-1 til the break.

After the break we looked to be getting back into the game, city fans in fine voice and the City of the first 20 minutes appeared to be back until we were hit on the break, DJ was a little slow to come off his line and they scored off the post. The 4th was again scored on the break.

Take nothing away from Reading, they played well and took their chances, but I wouldn't say they were 3 goals better than us. There is certainly some cause for concern though, our left flank and centre of midfield looked second best all game. Marv is one of my favourite players, but his shooting is very hit and miss, and today was no different, he picked up the ball 25 yards out on 2 or 3 occassions only to dilly-dally and get closed down or scuff a shot straight to their keeper.

A note on Danny Rose, what an infuriating player he is. The one time he got the ball and had a real go he beat two players and got a good cross in, but that was his sole contribution. He is very lazy and doesn't appear to want to be there, a number of times he fell cheaply and just led on the floor looking at the referee, as per the last game I saw him, at home vs Derby. £2m my arse! I am desperate for him to come good though.

That concludes my essay!

Can't disagree with too much of that.

Noticed same with Stead, did the right thing putting his arm around bert and having a word in his ear a d it definaly helped him to get it out his system.

That was our problem all day though, we didn't play awful as many who listened on the radio seem to think, most of our problems were down to lack of experience

Ribs, caulker, bert, Rose and pitman are all rookies at this level and it showed, not that they did much wrong but when they did we were punished.

Dint understand why sat we sat back after the goal, unsure if it was millen or the players but it was a mistake as we could have been home and clear by half time if we kept getting at them.

Didmt think skuse/marv played too badly, problem was we kept getting ripped apart out wide so they were having to cover at which point the middle was wide open.

Stewart...well less said the better from me...Just don't rate the bloke.

It's done and dusted now though but I'm not getting downbeat about it, because that is pointless.

Concerned though that Macca could be out, once he went off the game the game was over, Lewin, Caulker, Stewart and Ribs as a back 4 was always going to be a problem and I see a problem in our next game if either Fontaine, Carey or Macca aren't back.

ah, two losses and the knives are out again.

No inbetween on here is there? Someone MUST be accountable for a loss. Yet credit is rarely given to people for their successes.

and to the fella bringing up what Millen say's in interviews and accusing him of talking bullshit. HAVE YOU LISTENED TO EVER MANAGER IN WORLD FOOTBALL?

the delusions on here are laughable sometimes... We two games away from home against two decent teams with very recent Premier league experience... SACK HIM NOW! :tumbleweed:

ah, two losses and the knives are out again.

No inbetween on here is there? Someone MUST be accountable for a loss. Yet credit is rarely given to people for their successes.

and to the fella bringing up what Millen say's in interviews and accusing him of talking bullshit. HAVE YOU LISTENED TO EVER MANAGER IN WORLD FOOTBALL?

the delusions on here are laughable sometimes... We two games away from home against two decent teams with very recent Premier league experience... SACK HIM NOW! :tumbleweed:

Exactly. It's totally predictable.

Also a note on the Reading fans, very quiet until their third goal went in, up until that point they had limited themselves to half heartedly singing songs back at us

followed by

Very poor. The worst for me though were the song about cricket, and that ******* darts song they play after they score, cringe-worthy!!

I was really worried at the way you took the game by the scruff of the neck and dominated the first 20 mins or so but whether it was us putting more pressure on or your defence starting to sit deeper I dont know but us scoring the second goal seemed to knock the stuffing right out of you. Your central defence really struggled to contain Long and with the wingers coming more and more into the game there was only ever going to be one result.

Your support deserved more from your team and was it my imagination or does James seem disenchanted with it all.

followed by

Personally was quite impressed with the Reading fans efforts, especially the humouous piss take of the Aussie Federici re. the Ashes, also their chant of 'that was embarrasing' following their 2nd goal was original.

Also, wouldn't it be nice if we were sponsored by a Pizza company.

just got back as well - well what can you say - i only ask would a lee johnson type player made a difference today?? thought the ground was fantastic have now been won round to a new ashton gate stadium - just have to ask did any one think James was responsible for any of the goals of just the defence around him wasnt that good today

just got back as well - well what can you say - i only ask would a lee johnson type player made a difference today?? thought the ground was fantastic have now been won round to a new ashton gate stadium - just have to ask did any one think James was responsible for any of the goals of just the defence around him wasnt that good today

Yep. Think we were crying out for a 5,2" player who can't tackle, track back, head a ball or shoot!

No, seriously I get your point an agree that a creative midfielder is needed however LJ is NOT the answer.

hello all been reading the forum for a while and thought about time i started posting, The ref today was utter shite gave us nothing gave them everything, but thats not an excuse we were fantastic in the 1st 20 minutes then let them come at us, rose might as well of sat in the stands with us he was very poor, in fairness we were poor all around, caulker save us on numerious times, after our goal i can only recall their keeper having one save of note to make all game, they were by far the better team.

i agree danny rose had nothing to offer he wasnt even interesting today even reading no14 had so much space on the width and no interest running back to defend and help out mcallister and to be honest i would drop rose and put haynes on the wing to support pittman and stead tuesday game vrs palace

the pairing of Skuse and Elliott is appalling and the re-instating of Skuse has coincided with Elliotts improving form suddenly taking a massive nose dive.

Can't ignore this pattern now. Elliott's a moody player, Skuse a low self-esteem player. The two together are a liability.

LJ's attitude, by comparison is impeccable. Whilst today he was worth at least a sub appearance, Palace isn't an ideal opposition for a comeback.

With 2 weak options at the back (Cisse, Hunt) and no options on the left, looks like we're going to have to field the 2nd half side on Tuesday. And Baadiff on New Years Day, this could turn into another bad run for us. Not optimistic.

Personally was quite impressed with the Reading fans efforts, especially the humouous piss take of the Aussie Federici re. the Ashes, also their chant of 'that was embarrasing' following their 2nd goal was original.

Also, wouldn't it be nice if we were sponsored by a Pizza company.

I thought that they came across as a right bunch of tw****ts if im perfectly honest. Would have quite happily given one of them a clip round the ear, by the time the final whistle came around. ;)

Can't ignore this pattern now. Elliott's a moody player, Skuse a low self-esteem player. The two together are a liability.

LJ's attitude, by comparison is impeccable. Whilst today he was worth at least a sub appearance, Palace isn't an ideal opposition for a comeback.

With 2 weak options at the back (Cisse, Hunt) and no options on the left, looks like we're going to have to field the 2nd half side on Tuesday. And Baadiff on New Years Day, this could turn into another bad run for us. Not optimistic.

Oh god!!!! Cardiff.....forgot bout them

bring back the snow!!!!!!!!

First 20 mins as people have said, we were excellent. I don't think Reading got in our half and we were rewarded by the goal. Even the ref gave us pretty much every decision.

Then we just stopped. How Damion Stewart, a bloke whose 6 foot 3 plus didn't win a header against a bloke whose 5 foot 6 all game amazed me. I didn't spot 1 good thing he did. Caulker made one immense tackle and a good run for the goal and not a lot else. Ribs did well. James was fantastic! I counted at least 3 world class saves. for the 2nd two goals, they were put perfectly in the corner and no-one would of saved them. Midifield was a bit rubbish too. Skuse did ok to spread the play but didn't really get us anywhere. Stead was good, Pitmann tried hard without ever affecting the game.

That concludes my essay!

Fair play.

I don't think we stopped playing after 20 minutes, I think it more Reading got the measure of us.

The timing of the Uncle's blunder was unfortunate although a goal had been on the cards and the timing of the third also, just as we were building up a crescendo of noise in an attempt to suck the ball in we were deflated for good. Not excuses but factors in the embarrasment of the score line. We were also vulnerable on the counter attack having to chase the game at 2-1.

Is it just me but another thing was whilst Reading couldn't get a look in at the start our defence looked sturdy enough, then them cheating bastards reverted to diving all over the shop an I said sarcastically don't go near him - he'll only go down. It seemed our blokes felt this for real and were giving them an extra yard after the first few shameless dives for fear of the invisible sniper. I've never liked Reading but I thought this was disgusting and suprised no one started a thread on it - it seemed to be a pscychological advantage for them just as they needed it.

Finally (ish) - I'm sorry, that's the first time I've seen Stewart but what a donkey!

No excuses they were pacier and seemed to show more desire - worryingly - than us but these little factors did contribute to our downfall also.

Archived