IGNORED

Radio Bristol Callers

beaverface

No your not mate ... the only shame was that Haynes did not go wide instead of Stead.

Also withe Everyone raving about Neil Danns...yes class goal but I am not sure that most people could tell the difference between him and number 14? It seemed like he was always on the ball but actually the 14 was the one carrying the ball past Marvin! They are identical (apart from the number on their back!)

Am I the only one who thought JCR didn't play well today? Everytime he had the ball he didn't take on his man and just kept going round and round in circles.

I was baffled when the crowd his booed his substitution !

Am I the only one who thought JCR didn't play well today? Everytime he had the ball he didn't take on his man and just kept going round and round in circles.

.Jammer keeps the ball far too long and sometimes holds up play.

Personally i thought he had a good game but was surrounde by a lethargy.

We were terrible second half . Not gelling ,well out of our comfort zone. Palace ran rings arouund us..

If stead had had his usual energetic performance it could have all been different. Albert got clobbered four times in the first thirty by davies and needed the heat taking off him. If stead not fit should play clarky.

Get jobby back just in case.

What the hell does he have to do to please some fans? he was excellent, our best player by a mile and millen took him off!! what a joke. I bet you would of rather had Rose playing instead aye? (haha)

JCR played well like he does in every game. Admittedly he could be more direct, but he's great at holding possession, can pick a pass and rarely wastes the ball. I like him a lot, but he'll be back on the bench for Saturday.

Is there any reason why he couldn't play in a more central position? I feel he offer more than LJ did today.

JCR had a couple of chances to take on the last man, but instead cut back, dillied and dallied, allowing the Palace defence to get back. He then runs around in circles, keeping posession before laying the ball off without making a telling pass - BIG FRICKIN DEAL!

At least with Albert he's direct. It doesn't necessarily always end well with him, but at least he has a go - JCR doesn't !

What the hell does he have to do to please some fans? he was excellent, our best player by a mile and millen took him off!! what a joke. I bet you would of rather had Rose playing instead aye? (haha)

How about putting a cross in or creating a chance?

Tricks are nice, but we don't get points for style.

Rose produced more in his cameo than JCR did all day.

What a horrible game, 2 shit teams par from neil danns and caulker. Should of been 3-1 before half time at least, but you have to feel sorry for palace fans..

3-1 to who, i thought that city deserved goals in the 1st half, we were camped in their half from 2 minutes to the break. Just NOT ENOUGH SHOTS

JCR had a couple of chances to take on the last man, but instead cut back, dillied and dallied, allowing the Palace defence to get back. He then runs around in circles, keeping posession before laying the ball off without making a telling pass - BIG FRICKIN DEAL!

At least with Albert he's direct. It doesn't necessarily always end well with him, but at least he has a go - JCR doesn't !

its all about what is produced.. haines and jcr are 2 peas in a pod, they run at pace but go absolutely no where ,they dont get passed the last man and neither have an end product. jcr is meant to give width and get crosses in, but just cuts inside and passes in field or back. stead must be so frustrated to see that. haines well what does he give you ? ?? not goals just runs up dead ends. rose again flatters to decieve, doesnt produce much but is better than haines or jcr, all in all our wide players just are not doing it . except uncle albert. i thought today he was the only chance we had of breaking them down,

3-1 possibly 4-1 to city, we at least deserved a goal at the minimal. Arguably if Pitters was there we would of got 1.

Is this some kind of sick joke? Possibly 4-1 at half-time? Name four chances we've had in the entire game, let alone the first half. We didn't create anything, how on earth could we have had four by half time?

Is this some kind of sick joke? Possibly 4-1 at half-time? Name four chances we've had in the entire game, let alone the first half. We didn't create anything, how on earth could we have had four by half time?

im thinking of more of the possesion and the positions we found ourselves in, your right that we didn't test the keeper enough. Very poor.

It's extraordinary how different opinions can be. I thought besides Adomah, JCR was our best player by a country mile. Not that it's saying much, he was the closest thing we had to a play-maker in the first half, he was putting his foot on a ball, taking on and beating opponents and then bringing team-mates into play. Wingers don't have to just be head down crossing from the flank type to be effective and in any case we had that in Albert, so JCR's passing and movement was also vital.

He did more in 45 minutes than Danny Rose has done all season (or indeed when he came on - first 3 touches, 3 balls given away) yet Millen takes Rice off when the obvious thing is to change Haynes, who from a bright start got progressively worse and can't stay onside for love or money. Taking JCR off is one of the most inept substitutions I have seen at Ashton Gate and anyone who doesn't recognise how much worse our football was after he went, isn't properly watching football.

Overall this was a really poor performance and following on from my comments in the "We'll make amends" thread after Sunday, all of the same issues with Millen as at Reading were apparent and it is fair to be concerned about his decision making. With a couple of specific exceptions Palace weren't a great team and yet we got progressively worse and less able to dominate or open them up as the game went on. In short, Millen could only make things worse, not better. A little concerning.

My wishlist / prescription for City is get a proper leader as captain - the Palace number 5 and Counago were persistently talking to and manipulating the ref yet Skuse seems to manage at best an occasional exasperated yelp in the direction of an official and certainly no leadership of the team. He and Millen don't seem to do anything to increase the urgency or tempo of the team. The other thing is to focus play on the players who are the biggest threat - Adomah and today JCR.

Johnson can make a big difference to controlling the game, but not in a two man central midfield. The value he was likely to bring to the team today was wasted by leaving him so exposed. Elliot needs to be encouraged to do more with the ball, not just without the ball. Cisse looks okay as a defensive midfielder, perhaps not a centre back. And in the current side Caulker and Stead are the blindingly obvious defensive and attacking leaders and we should be doing more to promote that.

That means stop taking Stead off and get over the stigma of making a loan player captain; Caulker is so much more of an obvious leader from the way he conducts himself and it would be a much needed rocket up Skuse to kick on and start audibly and visibly leading the team (and - as an aside - not allow David James to snipe at individual players due to this leadership vacuum). Conversely I would seriously consider sending Rose back, he is utterly overrated and profligate in possession.

By the way, speaking of Radio Bristol, didn't hear it but did "Nick" call in and moan and whinge? He happens to sit near us at the Gate and is the most miserably negative person you'll ever meet and was his usual smug pessimistic self today. 99% of people where we sit loathe the guy. I'm critical of Millen on specific issues and increasingly his "in-game" management and substitutions but like most people my hopes and expectations of the team are positive. "Nick" is an idiot.

Rose produced more in his cameo than JCR did all day.

We usually see things similarly but I'm amazed we're so far apart on this. Rose first 3 touches each gave away possession and resulted in Palace attacks. His 4th was fleeting but created the penalty, yet that doesn't really change what his actual ball control and possession (or lack thereof) contributed to the game. Utterly nothing.

Worst of all, this is not new for Rose who seems to casually squander possession every time he plays, then look annoyed and watch and leave team-mates to address inevitable counter attacks. JCR was the most technically precise in beating players and bringing others into play in attacking areas. It was a sound basis to attack.

We usually see things similarly but I'm amazed we're so far apart on this. Rose first 3 touches each gave away possession and resulted in Palace attacks. His 4th was fleeting but created the penalty, yet that doesn't really change what his actual ball control and possession (or lack thereof) contributed to the game. Utterly nothing.

Worst of all, this is not new for Rose who seems to casually squander possession every time he plays, then look annoyed and watch and leave team-mates to address inevitable counter attacks. JCR was the most technically precise in beating players and bringing others into play in attacking areas. It was a sound basis to attack.

I think you've forgotten a few things Rob - like just about the only dangerous cross of the day and winning a couple of corners.

JCR had most of the game and did beat a few players (generally before trying to beat one too many) and did not as a rule get the ball into the box or shoot.

He cuts in onto his right foot EVERY time and it makes him simple to neutralise. He's a good right winger, not a left winger.

I thought JCR was pretty handy today and it was the wrong time to take him off. The shape looked bad through the game and taking JCR off made it worse until the double sub.

In all, the team looked poor and the fans were worse. We didn't get behind them at all today and I think that is a contribution to the poor performance. It is a catch 22, but sometimes we don't do our bit but pay the money so feel we should moan, whether rightly or wrongly.

MM

I thought he was the only one who could go past players with the ball, he didn't always use it well, but there were others who deserved to go off instead of him, we created more with him on the pitch than we did when he went off.

Everyone garbage but for Adomah, Caulker, Danns and Scannell.

That Zaha is a filthy animal spitting towards Nayatanga.

Agreed, though I thought JCR was one of the better other ones and if KM did want to bring on Rose then he could have easily taken off Johnson and put one of them in the middle alongside Elliott instead.

What JCR did that so few others did was pass to someone with the same colour shirt on, hold on to the ball rather than kick it aimlessly and at least try to move the play around.

He is rather right footed but like many I thought there were so many others who could have been subbed instead and was amazed he came off.

I was baffled when the crowd his booed his

substitution !

Agree 100%. totally ruined any chance of any passing moves, held on to the ball far to long.

It's fine sucking in 2 or 3 defenders but you have to release the ball to the then unmarked players. I sit in the lower Dolman and also was mystified by the upper Dolman boos.

Archived