IGNORED

We Need A Creative Central Midfielder

tinman-is-god

I know this is stating the obvious, but the need is immediate. Palace sat back 2nd half with virtually a back eight and we had a lot of possession, but what we didn't have was anyone who could actually use the ball effectively. LJ tries but invariably fails and it is embarrassing that we have such an inability on the ball. It leads to a failure to break down teams and a reliance on Adomah, with virtually no outlets of creativity from anyone in the midfield.

The 2nd half was a truly woeful affair, and if we don't sign someone who can both use and keep the ball well, we will struggle to break out of the bottom few places in the league.

i agree with u 100%

Tell me,

This creative midfielder......

If he is going to be any good, and not a knackered old pro, he is going to cost a packet.......

...... unless he is a life-long City fan, and fancy's a stint at a club on the fringe of the relegation zone?

Sorry if this sounds a bit negative!

:disapointed2se:

Tell me,

This creative midfielder......

If he is going to be any good, and not a knackered old pro, he is going to cost a packet.......

...... unless he is a life-long City fan, and fancy's a stint at a club on the fringe of the relegation zone?

Sorry if this sounds a bit negative!

:disapointed2se:

Obviously it will cost money but it will save us a hell of a lot more than relegating ourselves to League One. We may have to rely on a six-month loan from the Prem but you would hope our scouting network would know a few options. We will be looking to move three or four players off the wage bill so hopefully that could free up some funds.

I wouldn't mind that knackered old pro back from Scotland!

I know the finances don't add up but maybe if we ship some deadwood we can invest? Or maybe we

need this 'ere stadium first!?

2nd half long ball rubbish reminded me of the final days of GJ, desperate, punishment, :fastasleep::surrender::fastasleep: :fastasleep:

I wouldn't mind that knackered old pro back from Scotland!

I know the finances don't add up but maybe if we ship some deadwood we can invest? Or maybe we

need this 'ere stadium first!?

2nd half long ball rubbish reminded me of the final days of GJ, desperate, punishment, :fastasleep::surrender::fastasleep: :fastasleep:

Oh dear.

Please don't tell me our problems will be solved by this midfield messiah?

Recent BCFC transfer successes:-

1) Bob Taylor

2) Nicky Maynard.

Let's see if Millen can top that.

"Shit".

..... we get a decent midfielder: the defence packs up / we stop scoring goals / all three keepers break legs.

I could do with a laugh, so, guys, who is this midlield demon going to be??

:fastasleep:

Oh dear.

1) Bob Taylor

2) Nicky Maynard.

"Shit".

..... we get a decent midfielder: the defence packs up / we stop scoring goals / all three keepers break legs.

So are you telling me that there is no creative midfielder better than Lee Johnson available to Bristol City and that we have had two transfer successes in the last 21 years?

Obviously we need a creative midfielder..

Can any one actually suggest some one that we can realistically afford and that will want to get involved in a relegation battle?

There is someone affordable out there who would do a better job than Johnson, surely. Also, if we can afford £12,000 a week for Stead (who we are rightly paying good money), we have to put the same level of importance on this position.

The thing that always amazes me every season is the fact we haven't learned a thing from the previous season. We still believe throwing more money at the problem is going to solve it. Does anyone know if Steve or Keith have a plan in place, a short term or long term plan that sees us producing our own players or coaching our existing ones to be better. Surely we have spent enough money now to realise that we are no better off than last season and considerably worse off than 2 seasons previous to that when we spent very little.

This message should be, sorry Keith your predecessors have blown the budget, we are extremely over staffed, so you need to work with the massive squad you have to get us out of trouble. You wanted the job, go out and do it like a good coach would. Coach the players rather than buying new ones, they were good enough last season, they should be good enough this season too.

The thing that always amazes me every season is the fact we haven't learned a thing from the previous season. We still believe throwing more money at the problem is going to solve it. Does anyone know if Steve or Keith have a plan in place, a short term or long term plan that sees us producing our own players or coaching our existing ones to be better. Surely we have spent enough money now to realise that we are no better off than last season and considerably worse off than 2 seasons previous to that when we spent very little.

This message should be, sorry Keith your predecessors have blown the budget, we are extremely over staffed, so you need to work with the massive squad you have to get us out of trouble. You wanted the job, go out and do it like a good coach would. Coach the players rather than buying new ones, they were good enough last season, they should be good enough this season too.

Last season's midfield contained Paul Hartley, this season's doesn't. We need to replace him, as LJ is not good enough, that's why we signed Hartley in the first place!

Danns did look good today - but you can't buy a creative midfield player on the basis that he looked good against us in one game - Sno looked a world beater for Ajax against us and everyone called for him to be signed...he never fulfilled that promise. Johnson and Elliott both had poor games today but they have had good games on other occassions. We need to be absolutely sure that players we buy are better than current ones...if Danns is so good how come Palace are struggling at the bottom of the table.

Oh dear.

1) Bob Taylor

2) Nicky Maynard.

"Shit".

Sammy Clingan or Brian Howard would be good shouts! both out of favour for 1 reason or another, both aged below 30, both decent players at this level.

Danns did look good today - but you can't buy a creative midfield player on the basis that he looked good against us in one game - Sno looked a world beater for Ajax against us and everyone called for him to be signed...he never fulfilled that promise. Johnson and Elliott both had poor games today but they have had good games on other occassions. We need to be absolutely sure that players we buy are better than current ones...if Danns is so good how come Palace are struggling at the bottom of the table.

Exactly. Also Danns didn't strike me as being particularly creative, has a good engine and gets stuck in, but we have Marv. Thought Scammell looked pretty good though.

Oh dear.

1) Bob Taylor

2) Nicky Maynard.

"Shit".

I know we got plenty of strikers but how i would love to see another bob taylor down the gate :yes:

Exactly. Also Danns didn't strike me as being particularly creative, has a good engine and gets stuck in, but we have Marv. Thought Scammell looked pretty good though.

At least 2 shots on target, one of which a fantastic 25 yard free kick goal, pretty much more creative than our "creative mid man" has produced in the last 2 seasons!

Im not sure if he has been playing much this season, but if not, then surely Ben Watson of Wigan would be a good shout?

He's creative,scores goals and always looked good whenever he played against us.

EDIT: I have just checked and he's made 4 starts and 5 sub appearances in the league this season, which says to me as he's not an automatic 1st choice it's not gonna hurt to enquire about his availability.

Not seen many games this season but the midfield dilemma just doesn't go away.

LJ can pass a ball but struggles to threaten the box. Any other combination of 2 ballwinners do just that. So we rely on Albert too much and teams soon double up on him.

Yesterday saw JCR on the left working hard but cutting back onto his right foot so making the middle line at an angle across the pitch.

We need to get bodies in the box for any crosses that come over. (Haynes heads against the post and nobody there to support)

I thought like others that Danns looked like the sort of player we need when carrying the ball and had an end product.

Caulker looks a talent and will go on to higher levels, and I also thought Skuse was no mean RB.

Its a bit of a farce really.

How many years ago were people talking about the need for a player like Danns, Jarvis, Hoolahan etc?

3-4 years??

All this time later and the same players are terrorising us whilst we've not had anyone.

In that time we have had Willaims, Carle and Hartley come and gone for one reason or another.

Archived