IGNORED

Our National Broadcaster

cityhead

Due to family commitments I was driving during the whole of the game today. Imagine my surprise and joy to discover that the BBC was providing live commentary on the whole game on Radio Five Live.

So, during my 350 mile journey I was prepared to accept dodgy reception and looking forward to professional commentary rather than the usual amateurs at Radio Bristol.

Unfortunately i was hugely dissapointed. Firstly, the commentator who's name escapes me and his analyst Kit Simonez obviously only knew the names of a couple of our players, primarily James and Stead (prem experience, Pitman due to his scoring record and Skuse as captain). Any other research could not have been done because every time we had possession they would divert to other games for scores/action updates.

When QPR had possession it was apparent they knew every Rs player and how brilliant they were. Even Bradley Orr allegedly put some fantastic crosses into the box.

At the final whistle they grudgingly only gave us credit for our commitment to keep going to the final whistle.

I have long ago learnt that the BBC, being run by the loony left is not as unbiased as it would like us to believe but really, biased football commentary just shows how low our national broadcaster has got. If I had paid for that service today other than through the tv licence then I would have demanded my money back! As it stands at the moment we have to pay and we have no choice.

I believe that if Steve Lansdown and Colin Sexstone have any failings then it is our club's lack of media influence, whether local or national and the appointment of a major player in the media would increase our profile and fan base and probably help with ashton vale.

Anybody else listen and agree - or am I being paranoid?

Due to family commitments I was driving during the whole of the game today. Imagine my surprise and joy to discover that the BBC was providing live commentary on the whole game on Radio Five Live.

So, during my 350 mile journey I was prepared to accept dodgy reception and looking forward to professional commentary rather than the usual amateurs at Radio Bristol.

Unfortunately i was hugely dissapointed. Firstly, the commentator who's name escapes me and his analyst Kit Simonez obviously only knew the names of a couple of our players, primarily James and Stead (prem experience, Pitman due to his scoring record and Skuse as captain). Any other research could not have been done because every time we had possession they would divert to other games for scores/action updates.

When QPR had possession it was apparent they knew every Rs player and how brilliant they were. Even Bradley Orr allegedly put some fantastic crosses into the box.

At the final whistle they grudgingly only gave us credit for our commitment to keep going to the final whistle.

I have long ago learnt that the BBC, being run by the loony left is not as unbiased as it would like us to believe but really, biased football commentary just shows how low our national broadcaster has got. If I had paid for that service today other than through the tv licence then I would have demanded my money back! As it stands at the moment we have to pay and we have no choice.

I believe that if Steve Lansdown and Colin Sexstone have any failings then it is our club's lack of media influence, whether local or national and the appointment of a major player in the media would increase our profile and fan base and probably help with ashton vale.

To be fair i thought they did give City a fair bit of praise but on the whole i do think they were biased towards to QPR,

To be honest I didn't think they were that biased. The commentator was Connor McNamara (I think) and Kit Symons (former Palace & Wales player) was summarising. McNamara kept calling Albert - Adamoah! But Symons said Elliott was playing brilliantly and Caulker & Cisse defending was fantastic. Also they said they couldn't see why the pen was given.

I fully agree but the BBC always 'big up' what they see as the bigger club, especially those with a high profile manager like Colin. Even SPN were concentrating on QPR before the game. City barely got a mention. Fact is that outside the West Country City are seen as small club by everyone else. We just have to get used to it.

Le Tissier was our biggest fan on TV today.

It was Conor Macnamara, and he was utter rubbish.

I thought it hilarious but not too surprising that he and Kit Symons kept mispronouncing Adomah as Amadomah, too!

Still Macnamara has one of the "in vogue" accents that gets you a job at the BBC these days.....

I fully agree but the BBC always 'big up' what they see as the bigger club, especially those with a high profile manager like Colin. Even SPN were concentrating on QPR before the game. City barely got a mention. Fact is that outside the West Country City are seen as small club by everyone else. We just have to get used to it.

QPR are top of the league and we are a long way off. We got plenty of recognition in our playoff season.

To be honest I didn't think they were that biased. The commentator was Connor McNamara (I think) and Kit Symons (former Palace & Wales player) was summarising. McNamara kept calling Albert - Adamoah! But Symons said Elliott was playing brilliantly and Caulker & Cisse defending was fantastic. Also they said they couldn't see why the pen was given.

Did make me laugh that, i thought we had a new signing, maybe even the 1st of many,:laugh:

I thought that the 5 live commentary might have been better, but after about 2 minutes I realised that it was nothing more than a very large QPR love in, and switched back to the R. Bristol comms, which for once was actually quite good. I'm not sure if it's worth it but a complaint to the BBC about lack of impartiality might be a good idea...

I could understand them being biased towards and knowing more about the league leaders at this stage of the season. I thought the commentary was fair, they gave a huge suggestion that they didn't feel it was a penalty for example. The only thing that did annoy me was the lingering reference to crowd trouble, which didn't need to be raised 3 times. Connor also got Alberts name right every time up to his substitution.

Probably hit the nail on the head there.

As much as I hate their politics, if we had an Alistair Campbell or Mandellson type or that other PR 'guru' Max Clifford for a sustained campaign then our fan base and stadium situation could well improve.

Paranoid I'm afraid.

I listened and really don't know what you're talking about saying the commentary was biased. QPR had most posession and 20 shots therefore their players would obviously be mentioned more. Kit Symons was fair in his assessment of the game, was impressed with Marv and said fair play for City's comeback at the end.

5 live is a superb radio station, I'm more than happy to pay a licence fee towards it, just worried about what the raving right, with their frend Rupert, will do to the BBC.

I have long ago learnt that the BBC, being run by the loony left is not as unbiased as it would like us to believe but really, biased football commentary just shows how low our national broadcaster has got.

Does being on the 'loony left' make you biased towards Bristol City then?

I guess when the Conservative supporter Michael Grade appointed the present Director General and he then - in turn - appointed a former head of the Young Conservatives to be the BBC's political correspondent it was all part of a big left wing conspiracy, was it?

What a ridiculous comment.

Conor MacNamara is a rubish commentator though.

Listened to R5 for 10 minutes or so then reverted to the Radio Bristol commentary via BCFC world.

I thought R5 were very poor with too many other scores interfering with our game.

It was rubbish commentary compared to radio bristol.

What? a national broadcaster was interrupting a game of interest to a small part of the country to give results from other parts of the nation? Thats shocking.

I thought R5 were very poor with too many other scores interfering with our game.

That's what they do though. If they had Man Utd-Chelsea as a commentary whilst loads of other games were going on, it would be the same.

I had it on most of the time as I was in the car, and thought it was OK, they gave us praise where it was due, and were even saying it would be better if we scored first, as it would make the game more interesting. The only thing that really annoyed me was at the start, where they read the QPR team out just before the game kicked off, and then waited until about 4/5 minutes in to give the City team, there was no special reason for them doing this as far as I could see, it was almost as if they'd forgotten.

Was watching Sky Sports News and got great coverage of what was happening both sides although not suprising as we were playing top. Best bit was at the end gave me lots of joy when they were just reporting on Cambell Ryce's shot saved just before we equalized and the commentator said " OH NO they've equalized" city.gif

Archived