IGNORED

Changes Likely For Saturday

Chivs

It seems to be traditional to put out a "second team" for the little old FA Cup. Personally I hate this concession to the Premiershit attitude. When I were a lad, long long ago, the FA Cup was a truly great cup competition. Unfortunately the likes of ManUre and Arsenal has diminished the Cup (due to the European Chumpions League being oh so important). Regretfully, even teams like City have started to play along.

Therefore, I suspect a number of changes for Saturday. Nailed on changes are James and Stead out. Gerken replaces James but what forward line do you think we will have? My preference is Pitman and Clarkson though I do just wonder if Maynard will have some involvement?!?

I would not be surprised if Caulker (is he even allowed to play?), Skuse and Elliot also sit out the game.

If we make 5 or so changes then I'm worried that Sheff Weds will be able to take advantage. Apart from the fact that I'd quite like a good Cup run (the last one being in 1907) there is nothing like winning to improve the way a team play.

In the BBC Sport interview after yesterday, Millen said we want and need a cup run and will put out his strongest available team.

I missed that interview. Not having seen it, I think there is a lot of leeway in the term "available". I still believe that James and Stead will not start the game on Saturday.

Dunno why some assume that Millen will play a weaken team. He's already said a Cup run is important for financial reassons.

Staying in the Championship is far more important for financial reasons. Do you think that the same team that started the QPR game will start on Saturday? I firmly believe it wouldn't.

For all we know Irvine might consider promotion far more important than a Cup run and play a weaken side himself.

This is a fair point but hopefully Millen wouldn't be picking his selection based on the possibility that Irvine will play a weakened side.

After having so many games in such a short period wouldn't be suprised to see a few key players rested or most lightly still on the bench. Millen said there was a few players who were huge doubts who started against QPR obviously one of them was Skuse and possibly Stead seeing as he only played 60 odd mins against QPR unless he was getting man marked out of the game? Wouldn't be surprised to see Clarky,Haynes and Ribs or carey into the side.

"After having so many games in such a short period wouldn't be suprised to see a few key players rested or most lightly still on the bench. Millen said there was a few players who were huge doubts who started against QPR  obviously one of them was Skuse and possibly Stead seeing as he only played 60 odd mins against QPR unless he was getting man marked out of the game? Wouldn't be surprised to see Clarky,Haynes and Ribs or carey into the side"

Millen did say that any players with knocks or injuries will be assessed on Thursday. Any players considered not fit enough for the Cup game will obviously be rested. That said, if Carey, Clarkson, Haynes, Ribiero and maybe Stewart all start its still a strong team.

Maynard If fit should at least be on the bench IMO

doubtful was 3/4 weeks from fitness from the Palace game so think we'll be very lucky to see him on the bench this month but would hate him to be rushed back though will be great once he is back as felt like way too. It is great that we no longer solely rely on him for goals.

Millen has said it's the most important game so far this season in his eyes. Caulker will find out this week if he can play but said he expects he should be able too.

If Fontaine was fit I wouldn't of minded Caulker being rested seeing as he has been playing so much and with the bad luck we're having with injuries with our defenders this season.

For me, i would love to see a cup run. I imagine plenty of the squad would like to test themselves against a top 5 Premier League side. As said the cash would be great as crowds are down this season.

Sheffield W v Huddersfield were on tv over the last 4/5 days. A good game at a good tempo, we could be tested.

Sheffield Wednesday could well be thinking of a return to our league or a cup run. We both have that decision to make.

As for team selections. I think Caulker should be nailed down, he's just scored against QPR and will be raring to go. Skuse, Ribs or Carey can fit into defence. Watch Cisse's interview, he's hungry to keep his place.......anywhere, ditto Nyatango.

Unless James is given a leave pass to stay down south, I cant imagine James travelling to the gate to sit on the bench....politics. Midfield should stay as it is, however Stead may have a knock and Pitman could get Clarkeson as a partner. If Clarkeson is leaving, insert Haynes..

Be nice to see Maynard on the bench and play for half an hour.

I wouldnt risk Caulker, hes been pivotal to our improvements, personally I couldnt give a toss about the FA Cup, the league is our priority. I think this would be a good chance to give some of the fringe players a run out, we should still be able to beat a Awendy team that themselves may rest a couple.

So Caulkers injured and we are out of the FA CUP.

The boy needed a rest and this was the game to do it, shame about Ribs but his injury says it all.

Archived