IGNORED

If You Want James Here Next Season...

Superjack

I seem to recall that when Adriano Basso was our No.1, his name (rightly) would be chanted when he walked onto the pitch, whenever he made a save, whenever he took a goal kick and when he walked off down the tunnel.

I stand to be corrected if I am wrong, as I have not been to every home game this season, but when I have attended the only chants for DJ that I have heard are sarcastic "England's Number One" efforts from the away supporters.

I think that this is a shame. With the exception of one 'bad day at the office' at Ipswich, he has been absolutely awesome for us since his arrival. While I accept that there are a few City fans that will always see DJ as a 'Big Time Charlie' who is here for a last payday, what I have gathered from supporters through conversation and on this forum is that most of us feel extremely lucky to have him playing for us.

IMHO, along with Adomah, he has been player of the season so far and without him we would still be entrenched in the bottom three.

In hindsight, (given how it ended) the adulation afforded to Basso may very well have gone to his head. Basso, however, came from nowhere. Given David James' illustrious career, I would imagine that all four sides of Ashton Gate belting out his name at regular intervals would be far more likely to go to his heart rather than his head.

He is out of contract in the summer. I would not be surprised if, despite his age, he is offered a quick return to the Premier League. His agent may already be orchestrating this.

Come on Ashton Gate! If we really want DJ to stay, let's demonstrate it to him. He already looks a lot happier now that the performances have picked up.

After all, the 'Basso' in "Oooooooh Basso" can easily be changed to 'Jamo'!!

You never know. When it comes to deciding his immediate future, it may make all the difference!

:englandsmile4wf:

I seem to recall that when Adriano Basso was our No.1, his name (rightly) would be chanted when he walked onto the pitch, whenever he made a save, whenever he took a goal kick and when he walked off down the tunnel.

I stand to be corrected if I am wrong, as I have not been to every home game this season, but when I have attended the only chants for DJ that I have heard are sarcastic "England's Number One" efforts from the away supporters.

I think that this is a shame. With the exception of one 'bad day at the office' at Ipswich, he has been absolutely awesome for us since his arrival. While I accept that there are a few City fans that will always see DJ as a 'Big Time Charlie' who is here for a last payday, what I have gathered from supporters through conversation and on this forum is that most of us feel extremely lucky to have him playing for us.

IMHO, along with Adomah, he has been player of the season so far and without him we would still be entrenched in the bottom three.

In hindsight, (given how it ended) the adulation afforded to Basso may very well have gone to his head. Basso, however, came from nowhere. Given David James' illustrious career, I would imagine that all four sides of Ashton Gate belting out his name at regular intervals would be far more likely to go to his heart rather than his head.

He is out of contract in the summer. I would not be surprised if, despite his age, he is offered a quick return to the Premier League. His agent may already be orchestrating this.

Come on Ashton Gate! If we really want DJ to stay, let's demonstrate it to him. He already looks a lot happier now that the performances have picked up.

You never know. When it comes to deciding his immediate future, it may make all the difference!

Totally agree, would love to have him here again next year, he has been a rock for us this year, apart from the beginning when a few wanted him out, but he explained why, and fair play to thoses fans, they have got behind him. COYR

I'm a big fan of James and I hope he stays longer than this season but I don't think he is the sort of player that would leave a club just because the fans don't sing his name enough . He gets a a good reception from both ends so I'm sure he can tell if he's appreciated or not . Also its usually us that sing England's number 1 after the away fans sing 'you let your country down'.

We do chant that, but it dont get very loud

Try harder ! Do it right after he pulls off a good save (if he is tested) If you do, we'll join in in The Dolman - promise.

That is, if he is playing. Millen might want to give Gerken a game, altough he has said he will play our strongest side.

Try harder ! Do it right after he pulls off a good save (if he is tested) If you do, we'll join in in The Dolman - promise.

That is, if he is playing. Millen might want to give Gerken a game, altough he has said he will play our strongest side.

We do - I think because Basso always acknowledged the fans and did the whole pointing to the sky thing - he built the relationship with the fans.

David James does not seem that interested other than a clap.

We do try though.

We do - I think because Basso always acknowledged the fans and did the whole pointing to the sky thing - he built the relationship with the fans.

David James does not seem that interested other than a clap.

We do try though.

He is getting very old - and DOES he really make that much difference to the team? Eh?

No doubt he is quality - but at what price?

How about a 50% wage cut (£10,000 per week??), or we spend this money on the wages of a top quality midfielder - or strengthening another part of the team.

I do think the money is better spent elsewhere.

P.S. Why don't we ship him off to Tottenham where he can play with his old bud Beckham, the ****.

:tomato:

He did a little fist pump to the fans after the QPR game, first time I've seen him do it. Maybe thats a sign?

CiderArmyy

Have I just misread your post?

Are for saying James is into fisting?

The filthy beast - he's got to go now......

:disapointed2se:

I know it's sacrilige to compare The Championship to Sunday League, but if you've played football and you've been part of a team that's losing every week then you wonder what the point is.

Over time though, you build friendships and relationships with people (in this case the fans) and the results undoubtedly start to come. This is what we're seeing - I think with each week, we're going to see a slightly more passionate David James. THat's got to be a good thing surely? He's top class keeper.

That's all very well , but what about those fans who don't really want him here next season. If they made their feeling known in the same way, they would be accused of getting on his back and should be ashamed of themselves. James will do whatever he wants next summer, and I feel that he will want nothing more to do with us, and retire to go into coaching.

That's all very well , but what about those fans who don't really want him here next season. If they made their feeling known in the same way, they would be accused of getting on his back and should be ashamed of themselves. James will do whatever he wants next summer, and I feel that he will want nothing more to do with us, and retire to go into coaching.

Football is all about opinions. In my opinion, the 'fans' you refer to are idiots.

This is a good point, up until it went wrong at the start of 2009/10 there was a real affinity between Basso and the fans, as if it may have been longer term than it was. There was also the 'always Believe' thing. Admittedly I have only been to a few City games this season but there definitely doesn't seem to be the same bond with James- at least not on the face of it at a public level.

Archived