IGNORED

Getting New Fans Hooked...

spudski

There has been talk on other threads about the Club shooting themselves in the foot when trying to attract New fans on board.

So as a Club...how do they go about doing it? Who are the people to try and attract?

As a kid, teenager and man into my twenties, i missed watching City play on a Saturday because i played Amateur Football myself on weekends. I made it to as many night and midweek games as possible. Unless it's changed, Bristol and it's surrounding area has had a massive Amateur Football scene for years with many participents.

I'm sure we would have far more fans coming through the turnstiles, if this wasn't the case.

So who do the Club need to aim for? Imho, Men in their 30's and 40's with young kids should be the prime market. Then the older generation who have more of a dispossible income, paid off their mortgages and their kids have moved on.

With the imminent new 30000 seater stadium, surely the Club need to start attracting more people now, so that we are not half filling the new Stadium?

Without knowing the logistics and costs involved in extra Policing and Stewards, it's not possible to give an accurate pricing. But surely having a price of £20 for an adult with accompaning children an extra £1 each, would be an incentive to get the casual fan through the gate at each game? The kids would spend more on food and in the supporters shop...surely? Seeing empty seats makes no sense to me. Clubs, seem to be living in hope that they are going to fill these empty seats each season at Premium prices...it's plain crazy!

A consistant low rate of pay on the day, no frills, no gaurentees, pays your money take your chance options should be given imho.

Many people need that option these days, to be able to make a last minute decision to go to the football. It's not possible for everyone to know what they are going to be doing from one day to the next.

Surely getting another 2 or 3 thousand through the gate, by this means would make sense? The logistics surely can't outway trying this, in this day and age?

The only way to encourage new supporters, is by the club playing well, and consistently so.

Good Cup runs. If lucky enough Prem teams with star players, make youngsters want to see them, instead of on the box.

Good atmosphere also helps, but that usually comes when the team are playing well.

You could bring kids along, but if there is nothing happening, they want to go home.

So IMO it's down to the club and team.

It needs Mums and Dads to take their kids and help them stay interested when times aren't so good.

If kids only want to go when we win then buy them a Sky subscription for Christmas, a Rooney shirt and a Man U duvet cover ... they'll be happy then.

I don't know anyone amongst people I associate with who is in the faintest bit interested in paying the asking price. They only thing that'd make them go is if their kids got into it.

In fairness though if yesterdays game wasn't in a January, I know a fair few people who would of taken up what was a decent offer.

psst,

How many kids really like MacDonalds for the food? & HOW MANY LOVE (& ARE HOOKED ON) LITTLE CHEAP FREEBIE COLLECTABLES???

I dunno, give 'em something to take home, something they can take to the playground at school etc (little playground 'swap-sies' .) etc, cos little things still please little minds, & if something 'catches - on' we all know what kids are like - I WANT ONE TOO... etc.. exclusive (available from BCFC only) Albums, Picture Cards & Stickers etc, small plastic figurines, wall posters etc ... maybe, BCFC jigsaws (collect pieces of) with pieces in packs of say five random pieces at a time -good for swapping with friends to complete your City jigsaw for instance.

(Make nothing on kids seats (mum/dad paying for his/hers) with £2 quid a kid tickets paying for the 'take home gift,toy,collectable'.. etc .... )

If you want to get kids 'hooked' you have to bait the hook with something first before you can reel 'em in... that involves costs/investment etc (ask any fisherman) -everyday of the week shops/supermarkets are offering 'loss-leaders' to get shoppers through their doors, I dont see the difference, if football clubs want to attract kids they have to speculate to accumulate ... (its investing in the future, its dragging mum/dad & little future fan in now... )

Marketing costs - good marketing, reeps rewards - its a gamble, but get it right & the rewards are fans for life... make 'going to' football, fun , fashionable, somewhere kids wanna go again (for whatever reason now even if its only for the toys) & them kids will soon be drawn into the football, the Club, lifetime fans paying adult prices & filling seats, buying merchandise etc.. .

( it works for MacDonalds (selling cheesebugers) why not for football clubs too?? )

There has been talk on other threads about the Club shooting themselves in the foot when trying to attract New fans on board.

So as a Club...how do they go about doing it? Who are the people to try and attract?

As a kid, teenager and man into my twenties, i missed watching City play on a Saturday because i played Amateur Football myself on weekends. I made it to as many night and midweek games as possible. Unless it's changed, Bristol and it's surrounding area has had a massive Amateur Football scene for years with many participents.

I'm sure we would have far more fans coming through the turnstiles, if this wasn't the case.

So who do the Club need to aim for? Imho, Men in their 30's and 40's with young kids should be the prime market. Then the older generation who have more of a dispossible income, paid off their mortgages and their kids have moved on.

With the imminent new 30000 seater stadium, surely the Club need to start attracting more people now, so that we are not half filling the new Stadium?

Without knowing the logistics and costs involved in extra Policing and Stewards, it's not possible to give an accurate pricing. But surely having a price of £20 for an adult with accompaning children an extra £1 each, would be an incentive to get the casual fan through the gate at each game? The kids would spend more on food and in the supporters shop...surely? Seeing empty seats makes no sense to me. Clubs, seem to be living in hope that they are going to fill these empty seats each season at Premium prices...it's plain crazy!

A consistant low rate of pay on the day, no frills, no gaurentees, pays your money take your chance options should be given imho.Many people need that option these days, to be able to make a last minute decision to go to the football. It's not possible for everyone to know what they are going to be doing from one day to the next.

Surely getting another 2 or 3 thousand through the gate, by this means would make sense? The logistics surely can't outway trying this, in this day and age?

I would agree with the highlighted with no add ons such as £20 membership for one stand.

I can't remember my first match or the score. As a child the most important thing about football was that I and my friends could afford to go, it was communal experience, but affordable for parents.

If todays admission prices where applied proportionately to myself thirty years ago football would have been a infrequent treat.

There is far more competition now for parents leisure pound. A day out at Bristol City for a family is way above the cost of other local attractions which guarantee value for money. The club shot themselves in the foot by charging far too much as soon as the club was promoted instead of filling seats they decided to sweat pay on the day and increase season tickets by 20%[?].

All well and good patting yourself on the back and offering the odd discount for matches. A consistent [EE included] incentive is needed rather than hoping the football will be of a sufficently high standard to get that two or three thousand through the gate, the latter could only arrive every decade or so.

Importantly the club should have a long term stratergy to build the fanbase further right now, the new stadium with fifteeen thousand empty seats could make the club look and the experience of being a fan of Bristol City a mockery.

I can think a great way to capture 'new' fans:

When we have an F.A Cup game with lots of new, young impressionable fans watching (there were dozens sat in the Atyeo where I usually sit, so I presume that for many it was their first time there) we win the !"£$%^& match...

Its down to economics. A season ticket package for a man with 2 children to watch a max 23 games with travel costs plus food etc, against a years subscription to Sky to watch unlimited Prem football plus other sports in the comfort of your own home..no contest. When I started watching City in the Fifties (yes, I'm that old!) that was the only way to see live football and it got into my blood so I still watch at the Gate today. Youngsters today have too many other options and have no local passion. Just look at the club shirts they wear, all prem clubs.

psst,

How many kids really like MacDonalds for the food? & HOW MANY LOVE (& ARE HOOKED ON) LITTLE CHEAP FREEBIE COLLECTABLES???

I dunno, give 'em something to take home, something they can take to the playground at school etc (little playground 'swap-sies' .) etc, cos little things still please little minds, & if something 'catches - on' we all know what kids are like - I WANT ONE TOO... etc.. exclusive (available from BCFC only) Albums, Picture Cards & Stickers etc, small plastic figurines, wall posters etc ... maybe, BCFC jigsaws (collect pieces of) with pieces in packs of say five random pieces at a time -good for swapping with friends to complete your City jigsaw for instance.

(Make nothing on kids seats (mum/dad paying for his/hers) with £2 quid a kid tickets paying for the 'take home gift,toy,collectable'.. etc .... )

If you want to get kids 'hooked' you have to bait the hook with something first before you can reel 'em in... that involves costs/investment etc (ask any fisherman) -everyday of the week shops/supermarkets are offering 'loss-leaders' to get shoppers through their doors, I dont see the difference, if football clubs want to attract kids they have to speculate to accumulate ... (its investing in the future, its dragging mum/dad & little future fan in now... )

Marketing costs - good marketing, reeps rewards - its a gamble, but get it right & the rewards are fans for life... make 'going to' football, fun , fashionable, somewhere kids wanna go again (for whatever reason now even if its only for the toys) & them kids will soon be drawn into the football, the Club, lifetime fans paying adult prices & filling seats, buying merchandise etc.. .

( it works for MacDonalds (selling cheesebugers) why not for football clubs too?? )

I left the ground on Saturday, at full time, to see a foam hand torn to shreds. It's not a completely foolproof idea.

A consistant low rate of pay on the day, no frills, no gaurentees, pays your money take your chance options should be given imho.

Many people need that option these days, to be able to make a last minute decision to go to the football. It's not possible for everyone to know what they are going to be doing from one day to the next.

I have heard the argument that we should charge less for a match day ticket quite a bit, with this in mind I sat down and did a few sums.

20000 fans paying £20 works out at 400000

15000 fans paying £30 works out at 450000

we can do all the promotions of cheaper tickets we like and we usually end up only attracting another 1 to 2000 fans with special deals. We would all like to see football be cheaper but when the root cause of the problem is the nature of the game (competitiveness) what do you do, take a moral stance, dont pay silly wages and wave good buy as you slide down the leagues? I don't know the answer but more has to be done to stop the continual - I want more money from footballers - we will give you more money as a club - we want more money as a club - we will pay more money as supporters.

So how do they manage abroad then?

Apart from the very big clubs in Italy like AC, Inter, and Juve, all the rest are averaging 20000 and below gates charging on average £15 per game. The same goes for the Bundesliga, Spain, Holland etc. Apart from the Big Clubs, The fans all pay less, to watch TOP FLIGHT football. I can't see these clubs paying less than we do to their players.

I have heard the argument that we should charge less for a match day ticket quite a bit, with this in mind I sat down and did a few sums.

20000 fans paying £20 works out at 400000

15000 fans paying £30 works out at 450000

we can do all the promotions of cheaper tickets we like and we usually end up only attracting another 1 to 2000 fans with special deals. We would all like to see football be cheaper but when the root cause of the problem is the nature of the game (competitiveness) what do you do, take a moral stance, dont pay silly wages and wave good buy as you slide down the leagues? I don't know the answer but more has to be done to stop the continual - I want more money from footballers - we will give you more money as a club - we want more money as a club - we will pay more money as supporters.

How about ......

Promoting discounted tickets to a home FA Cup match against lower league opponents, and then losing 3-0 at home.

Oh - and don't forget bigging the match up in the press beforehand, saying how much it means to the club and players.

Anyway .....

..... allows us and our new fans to concentrate on the league ........

:winner_third_h4h:

P.S. Wycombe of Hereford would have wiped the floor with us anyway .....................

I cannot remember my first game, my dad used to take me as he was a supporter all his life (being and Ashton Vale lad born and bred). I vaguely remember bits of those match days visits and it was of walking to the ground, standing around, getting cold/wet the game starting, standing around for another 15 minutes 2nd half, walk home. To be honest my memories were of boredom at the games, however what I do remember distinctly is that on the way home from the game we went into the fish and chip shop and had something to eat (dad always said not to tell mum as she would be cooking us tea, 'our' secret). I do not think I as a kid was any different then than a lot of kids are now (apart from less prone to be glued to an electronic device).

So what am I saying - The Stadia should include facilities for families - a BCFC shack selling BCFC burgers, colas, with the mascot making a prematch appearance, polaroid pictures with the kids ? Have a family ticket including the meal, collect vouchers in a BCFC scrap book from the shack - when you get a full set get a free scarf (implement similar things computer game achievements). The prime reason I stopped being a season ticket holder is family commitments, cannot justify the costs for us all to go, and could not really just keep my prematch pint etc going...

So if you want to keep the old who are maturing and having families, you need to make it easier for them - and once they bring their kids you need to hook them.

If kids only want to go when we win....

Even kids understand that we can't/won't win every game.

Losing the game is not the sole issue - it's about the manner of losing.

Kids, many of whom would give anything to play professional football, hate pampered stars who don't seem to trying very hard, just like our lot against Sheff Weds - and who can blame them?

Archived