IGNORED

Stewards (front Of Dolman Stand)

class_not_gas

After a incedent involving a family member at the very front of the dolman stand yesterday(front concourse). i went to the nearest steward to ask for medical help and to also point out a very serious danger that caused this person to have some nasty injuries. talking to the steward he just did not seem to get what was going on or being said .. so after asking a 2nd time it became clear he did not understand nor could he speak english . so i went towards the ateyo stand to the next steward ,

who also could not speak or understand english , when i pointed at he the danger and also asked for medical help she just kept looking at the floor and shaking her head .

i then went to the corner of the atyeo and spoke to a steward there (big fella) who straight away informed the medical people and saftey officer of the situation that was a danger to fans in that area ..

from then on the person concerned was taken to the medical area and seen to very quickly , and the danger that caused this to happen was looked into also .

when i spoke to the chief steward and asked why we have stewards working at our club who cannot communicate with the public he just shook his head and said "this shouldnt be allowed "

so who is looking after our saftey while we are going to watch our club ??????

who employs the stewards?????????

who interviews the stewards ???????

when they do the saftey announcment at the start of the game and say "if you hear this tone please wait instruction from your nearest steward" what the hell we meant to do , hope we get a english speaking one ???????

im sure in any other situation health and saftey would have a field day ,

I dont like to have go at our club but what happend was complete bollox in my book ........SORT IT OUT BRISTOL CITY FC

After a incedent involving a family member at the very front of the dolman stand yesterday(front concourse). i went to the nearest steward to ask for medical help and to also point out a very serious danger that caused this person to have some nasty injuries. talking to the steward he just did not seem to get what was going on or being said .. so after asking a 2nd time it became clear he did not understand nor could he speak english . so i went towards the ateyo stand to the next steward ,

who also could not speak or understand english , when i pointed at he the danger and also asked for medical help she just kept looking at the floor and shaking her head .

i then went to the corner of the atyeo and spoke to a steward there (big fella) who straight away informed the medical people and saftey officer of the situation that was a danger to fans in that area ..

from then on the person concerned was taken to the medical area and seen to very quickly , and the danger that caused this to happen was looked into also .

when i spoke to the chief steward and asked why we have stewards working at our club who cannot communicate with the public he just shook his head and said "this shouldnt be allowed "

when they do the saftey announcment at the start of the game and say "if you hear this tone please wait instruction from your nearest steward" what the hell we meant to do , hope we get a english speaking one ???????

I dont like to have go at our club but what happend was complete bollox in my book ........SORT IT OUT BRISTOL CITY FC

As a matchday employee of the club, or rather the agency the club now uses for all matchday staff, I would be very amazed if any of the stewards could not speak English. Some are a little on the dim side however, and the advice would be, if you need attention urgently ,always go to a steward in a yellow coat ,not orange as they are more seniorand have radios. Orange coats are generally just gate minders.

As a matchday employee of the club, or rather the agency the club now uses for all matchday staff, I would be very amazed if any of the stewards could not speak English. Some are a little on the dim side however, and the advice would be, if you need attention urgently ,always go to a steward in a yellow coat ,not orange as they are more seniorand have radios. Orange coats are generally just gate minders.

and what are our amazing gate minders instructed to do in a real serious incedent (i can assure you both stewards could not understand plain english in a situation where help for a member of the public was needed, as the main steward said to me ,

this has been brought up in meetings before and still not been acted on .......

so you say if we have a problem the only people trained a capable of helping people in an emergency are the stewards in yellow

and the ones in orange do do nothing but look after gates

at what point in the saftey announcement are the people whos saftey it affects i.e THE PAYING PUBLIC informed of this ???????????????????????????????

Can I suggest you contact either Mike Pratt or Keith Draisey at the club tomorrow and discuss this with them.

i left my name and address with the main steward dolly, and he said some from the club will be in contact , not just about the steward situation but also what caused the problem in the 1st place.

if they dont ill follow your advice ........ thanks

and what are our amazing gate minders instructed to do in a real serious incedent (i can assure you both stewards could not understand plain english in a situation where help for a member of the public was needed, as the main steward said to me ,

this has been brought up in meetings before and still not been acted on .......

so you say if we have a problem the only people trained a capable of helping people in an emergency are the stewards in yellow

and the ones in orange do do nothing but look after gates

at what point in the saftey announcement are the people whos saftey it affects i.e THE PAYING PUBLIC informed of this ???????????????????????????????

i left my name and address with the main steward dolly, and he said some from the club will be in contact , not just about the steward situation but also what caused the problem in the 1st place.

if they dont ill follow your advice ........ thanks

can I ask what the problem was?

because I thought the drain covers looked a bit dodgy against cardiff (also actually entering the dolman at the ateyo end was a joke - took me back to the days when you really were treated like cattle at football. I remember an old man falling down coming out of the Muller Road end after we beat the Gas 2-1 in the fa cup, and this would have prolly caused fatalities (the crush was extremely dangerous as it was) had someone not managed to haul him up from beneath our feet.)

cheers.

Agency staff who are clueless, just hope something big never goes off at the gate, because if it did we would have big problems.

Not of the same import as the guy who was ill/injured granted, but, I was trying to get out of the Dolman/Atyeo gate at half time to have a fag. The guy on the gate (I'll just say not of British origrn) couldn't understand what I was driving at until a "yellow coat" came along and told him to open the gates pronto. I thought then, good job it wasn't mega!

Just read this...This is actually a very serious problem. Can you imagine the consequenses if there was another Bradford situation... Not only the publics safety but the backlash on the club itself.

The worlds gone mad...you can't bring a large flag into the ground unless it catches fire...how? God only knows...but we have Stewards in control of thousands who can't speak our mother tongue. What are they doing in our Country anyway? Unless you can speak English...what use are you? Crazy scenario. Same as me turning up in Outer Mongolia and not speaking Mongolian when trying to herd some Goats ;-)

Very frustrating for you and just not good enough for all concerned. Let us know how the club reacts.Hope your family member is ok.

Just read this...This is actually a very serious problem. Can you imagine the consequenses if there was another Bradford situation... Not only the publics safety but the backlash on the club itself.

The worlds gone mad...you can't bring a large flag into the ground unless it catches fire...how? God only knows...but we have Stewards in control of thousands who can't speak our mother tongue. What are they doing in our Country anyway? Unless you can speak English...what use are you? Crazy scenario. Same as me turning up in Outer Mongolia and not speaking Mongolian when trying to herd some Goats ;-)

Do goats speak mongolian then, I didn't know that.

City need to give the agency a big bollocking, what agency sends a worker to steward at a football stadium who don't have a good grasp of English, name and shame them.

Presumably ManUre employs a lot of mandarin speaking stewards if the front row of their games is anything to go by....

City need to give the agency a big bollocking, what agency sends a worker to steward at a football stadium who don't have a good grasp of English, name and shame them.

The ironically named "Safe and Sound"! But then this is the same lot who employ the foul mouthed thug bouncers (including the manager in that description, too!) in the DEH, so shouldn't be surprised.

Some years ago when I was a student living in north Bristol, a friend had a job at the gas as a steward earning OK beer money on a saturday afternoon... He suggested I joined him as it was 'easy money' (good for a student, anyway!). I phoned up one of the supervisors who gave me a telephone interview. He asked if I had certain safety certificates, and I told him no, honestly. He said, "eh, that could be a problem. If anyone asks just say you have done the courses. Come along on Saturday and you can start straight away". Now before anyone says anything about this being just Rovers, apparently it was the same agency that city used at the time. I was quite surprised to be honest.... For unrelated reasons I never went (no amount of beer money was worth going there for, I decided in the end!)...

I hope these sort of agencies have a lot better standards now!

It was 10 years ago though...

Used to work for safe and sound at City and although not foreign employees back then no one had a clue what they were doing. Used to be given a vest and dropped off, no real idea of what we had to do! No way should there be non English speaking people doing these potentially important jobs as stated in original post.

i was contacted by the club by 9.30 this morning and have been told as from now . the club will not allow any stewards who cannot speak or understand english to work at the club on a match day ........

Glad to hear that thank you, common sense has prevailed on this occassion.

Archived