IGNORED

Improved Players

Chivs

The more I ponder on the Wednesday game the more despondent I get. What must it be like for Lansdown who has put his money where his mouth is? Year after year we seem to end up with....well, crap players!!

Basically this is the reason I'm despondent. I've come to realise that our players aren't very good. But, I don't think this is entirely the fault of the players.

My question is this: can you name any players, from the last five years, that have improved since they joined us? I can think of only one.

As for the others, we have JCR constantly switching back inside onto his favourite foot. How can professional players have a favourite foot?

Albert will often take one touch too many. He did this when he joined us. He does it now.

Elliot has the first touch of a drunk camel. He had the same first touch when he joined us.

Sproule couldn't cross the ball when he joined us 12 years ago. Today, if he's given a chance, he cannot cross a ball.

Etc etc....

Collectively, how many times have I got to watch the opposition take a short corner without anyone being marked?

When will someone work out that our opposition have worked out that McAllister is suspect in the air at the far post?

What are our coaching staff doing? I think if Lansdown truly wants to improve this club he needs to a do a root and branch replacement of our coaching staff, including the academy who do not seem to produce any players of note. Millen must also take his fair share of the blame in this area. He has been on the coaching staff for so many years.

Finally, the one player who has improved is Maynard. When he first joined he looked like a boy amongst men. He was constantly knocked off the ball and easily lost possession. At the end of last season he was markedly better at these areas. However, I don't think it is coincidence that he comes from Crewe who have a conveyor belt of an academy. I suspect he has maintained touch with Crewe but I can't see how else he could have improved....

The more I ponder on the Wednesday game the more despondent I get. What must it be like for Lansdown who has put his money where his mouth is? Year after year we seem to end up with....well, crap players!!

Basically this is the reason I'm despondent. I've come to realise that our players aren't very good. But, I don't think this is entirely the fault of the players.

My question is this: can you name any players, from the last five years, that have improved since they joined us? I can think of only one.

As for the others, we have JCR constantly switching back inside onto his favourite foot. How can professional players have a favourite foot?

Albert will often take one touch too many. He did this when he joined us. He does it now.

Elliot has the first touch of a drunk camel. He had the same first touch when he joined us.

Sproule couldn't cross the ball when he joined us 12 years ago. Today, if he's given a chance, he cannot cross a ball.

Etc etc....

Collectively, how many times have I got to watch the opposition take a short corner without anyone being marked?

When will someone work out that our opposition have worked out that McAllister is suspect in the air at the far post?

What are our coaching staff doing? I think if Lansdown truly wants to improve this club he needs to a do a root and branch replacement of our coaching staff, including the academy who do not seem to produce any players of note. Millen must also take his fair share of the blame in this area. He has been on the coaching staff for so many years.

Finally, the one player who has improved is Maynard. When he first joined he looked like a boy amongst men. He was constantly knocked off the ball and easily lost possession. At the end of last season he was markedly better at these areas. However, I don't think it is coincidence that he comes from Crewe who have a conveyor belt of an academy. I suspect he has maintained touch with Crewe but I can't see how else he could have improved....

the majority of players have a favoured foot, mate. JCR cannot really be blamed that he is being played left wing, when he would be more comfortable on the right. exactly why millen doesn't have JCR and adomah switch wings during the game when attacking is anybody's guess. they both cut inside at times, and it would free up adomah to shoot on his right, and let JCR cross, but what do i know

orr joined us as a fairly useless centre mid, and left as a right back headed for the premier division. maynard has improved in his time. sproule signed 12 years ago? what?

a few players have stagnated or taken steps back, but i would point to the "nightlife" and commitment as much as the coaching staff there

the majority of players have a favoured foot, mate. JCR cannot really be blamed that he is being played left wing, when he would be more comfortable on the right. exactly why millen doesn't have JCR and adomah switch wings during the game when attacking is anybody's guess. they both cut inside at times, and it would free up adomah to shoot on his right, and let JCR cross, but what do i know

orr joined us as a fairly useless centre mid, and left as a right back headed for the premier division. maynard has improved in his time. sproule signed 12 years ago? what?

a few players have stagnated or taken steps back, but i would point to the "nightlife" and commitment as much as the coaching staff there

I understand that players have a favoured foot but this shouldn't mean the other one is just for standing on. JCR constantly comes inside which is frustrating because he can actually cross with his left foot. As you say though, it's a bit confusing that JCR and Albert don't swap over through a game. I'm not sure why our management don't support this?

I was exaggerating about Sproule but I genuinely thought he'd been with us 6 years or more! Apparently it's only just over 3.

Orr is a good point although I'm not sure he improved his play once he became established at right back.

Players that you could say have improved:

Skuse - up until last season

Ribs - ever improving

Orr - when he was here

Basso - when he was here

Fontaine - Debatable (some would say yeas, some would say no)

Pitman - In his very short spell

Cotterill + Lita - If you are talking last 5 years.

Caulker - In his very short spell.

However I admitt many would disagree with this but thats my opinion :city:

Do agree.

We signed alot of "aged" players under Johnson and rarely went for younger players, I can't think of many players from the Johnson era who we got a decent fee for?

Johnson was a buyer ad never a developer

Thankfully since he went younger players have got a chance and we have brought in youngsters like pitman and bert and also younger loan players instead of the normal old donkeys who have no interest.

Having Wigley with a established record in youth develpment will also help no end.

Players that you could say have improved:

Skuse - up until last season

Ribs - ever improving

Orr - when he was here

Basso - when he was here

Fontaine - Debatable (some would say yeas, some would say no)

Pitman - In his very short spell

Cotterill + Lita - If you are talking last 5 years.

Caulker - In his very short spell.

However I admitt many would disagree with this but thats my opinion :city:

I shall be the first of many then. flowers.gif

I must admit that I thought of Skuse and Cotteril but decided they would hardly help my point. tongue.gif

I can't agree with the others. Orr and Basso both had major flaws in their games and I can't recall seeing any improvement of note.

I agree that Caulker and Pitman have improved in their short stay but I think this is more about the team improving than those individuals being trained to be better.

In my first post, I did conclude by wondering why collectively we seemed to make the same old mistakes. However, I now see that collectively we have improved in one area this season. When the season started James would always try to release the ball instantly. But he was often frustrated with fullbacks and midfielders not making any attempt to find space. We now do that second nature. I suspect this is entirely down to James' influence on the training pitch and it does raise a query of why did our coaching staff never instil this into the team. For this reason alone I hope that James stays on (I assume he is being invaluable to Gerken) in a coaching role at least.

I'd say Caulker, Pitman and Albert have all improved in their short time with us - thats 3.

In what way would you say they have improved?

As I say elsewhere I agree that Caulker and Pitman have improved but I think this is a general better all round team improvement.

Albert seems to me to be getting worse. I think he is seriously overstretched and should have been rested for SheffWed at least.

Also, by improvement (due to training) I'm not talking about having the odd better game. I mean what skill/technique has improved in these players?

In what way would you say they have improved?

As I say elsewhere I agree that Caulker and Pitman have improved but I think this is a general better all round team improvement.

Albert seems to me to be getting worse. I think he is seriously overstretched and should have been rested for SheffWed at least.

Also, by improvement (due to training) I'm not talking about having the odd better game. I mean what skill/technique has improved in these players?

Albert may have just had a couple of iffy games, but he has come on leaps and bounds - so much so, that if he aint on form, we struggle. We rely on him too much I feel.

Alberts end product is very good for a winger, much better than the start of the season. Also, decision making, when to take on players.

I shall be the first of many then. flowers.gif

I must admit that I thought of Skuse and Cotteril but decided they would hardly help my point. tongue.gif

I can't agree with the others. Orr and Basso both had major flaws in their games and I can't recall seeing any improvement of note.

I agree that Caulker and Pitman have improved in their short stay but I think this is more about the team improving than those individuals being trained to be better.

In my first post, I did conclude by wondering why collectively we seemed to make the same old mistakes. However, I now see that collectively we have improved in one area this season. When the season started James would always try to release the ball instantly. But he was often frustrated with fullbacks and midfielders not making any attempt to find space. We now do that second nature. I suspect this is entirely down to James' influence on the training pitch and it does raise a query of why did our coaching staff never instil this into the team. For this reason alone I hope that James stays on (I assume he is being invaluable to Gerken) in a coaching role at least.

Do you remember Basso when he joined. Ok he was a great shot stopper but he couldn't kick, throw and would occasionally made stupid saves for the cameras (when he left at least he was now catching these saves for the cameras). He left one of the best keepers in the country

I don't think its a club problem to be fair. The players have got to want to improve in the first place. Take Sproule for instance, if he has been coached on "how to cross a football" then he either:

A) Isn't a very good footballer

B) Is trying his best but can't

C) Is arrogant enough to think he doesn't need coaching

Now i'm sure that Ivan has had his lack of final ball drummed into him from the very first time he shanked one into the away end, but has he got any better? No. That points to either a basic lack of ability or intelligence, or poor coaching. If the staff can't see something thats blatently obvious to everyone else, then that worries me. My own personal opinion is that if you need to coach basic technique or positional play into an established professional footballer, he shouldn't be a professional in the first place. As a nation we encourage endeavour and graft over skill and technique, when I think it should be the other way round. Sproule got lucky because he is blindingly quick. He has less awareness than a Downs League player, a dreadful first touch, is an awful crosser of the ball and basically contributes little to most games he plays a part in. The worrying thing is, hes made over 100 appearances for City without any visible effort on his part to improve his delivery. Its was crap when he arrived, remained crap for 3 years, and will be crap for his next club.

People may argue that he never gave less than 100% for us, which may be right. But I would rather have a gifted player giving 99% than a poor one giving 110% any day.

As for the others, we have JCR constantly switching back inside onto his favourite foot. How can professional players have a favourite foot? Albert will often take one touch too many. He did this when he joined us. He does it now.

Etc etc....

Messi is the best player in the world and he has a favoured foot, and don't even deny it. Last year he scored about 40 goals, about 4 or 5 of them were with his right food. Enough said.

Whilst I agree that it is only Nicky Maynard that has improved since arriving at the " Gate " and it should only be expected that Steven Caulker would blossom once he got acclimatised to the team and the Championship surely the issue is all about who was responsible for the quality of the players signed.

Presumably scouting staff reccommend players to the manager. These recommendations are then vetted and approved by the manager and/or the coaching staff. IMHO this has been a great downfall of this club in the recent past and is a major contribution to the quality and standard of the squad at present. After Johnsons first 18 months the development of the team and standard of play stagnated and we have not progressed.

Archived