IGNORED

According To The Scottish Sun

GrahamC

Keef went and watched the Dundee Utd v Motherwell game in midweek and they seem to think he was looking at the amusingly named David Goodwillie, however he is a striker, which in light of his stated targets of centre midfield and left back, isn't really what we are most in need of.

Looking at others on the pitch that night, Mark Reynolds is a highly rated defender and a couple of midfielders on show Tom Hateley (son of Mark) and Prince Buaben might have been of interest to him..........

goodwillie for Clarkson,

maynard I don't think we'll see much of this season he still is far from match fit not even played for the 2nd string yet maybe end of feb march,

Akinde is going, Haynes isn't any good up front Jackson isn't going to be a championship striker,

at the moment we have

Pittman

Stead

Clarkson

as our strikers who can score goals I think clarkson is going to leave sooner rather then later and you need 4 strikers in this league so yes we may well need another striker

Very strange that we are looking at strikers - as we have a wealth of strikers now.

Pitman Stead and Maynard who I rate highly - Haynes who is a real handful for any defence - and whatever you say about clarkson, his goals to game ratio aint that bad and he has'nt really had a run in the side.

If we are looking for a striker then It would indicate that Nicky Maynard is off.

riaz Maynard is still not fit another striker isn't out of the question as I said Clarkson Pitman and Stead are the only fit strikers we have who can score Haynes had his chance this season and wasted it I don't really rate him and he isn't a great goal scorer,

Pitman is in a rich vane of form Stead doesn't and never will score many goals maybe 10- 15 a season if productive,

This myth of we're fine up front is tosh an injury to ether stead or pitman and goals will dry up,

riaz Maynard is still not fit another striker isn't out of the question as I said Clarkson Pitman and Stead are the only fit strikers we have who can score Haynes had his chance this season and wasted it I don't really rate him and he isn't a great goal scorer,

Pitman is in a rich vane of form Stead doesn't and never will score many goals maybe 10- 15 a season if productive,

This myth of we're fine up front is tosh an injury to ether stead or pitman and goals will dry up,

Maynard is almost fit - thats 3 quality strikers - Haynes is'nt a complete player, but he's only 22 and goalscoring in something he could improve with age.

You say Haynes had a chance - but he had two games then dropped! not nearly enough to get fit.

I cant see where we need another striker when we have 5 soon to be all fit.

If we are looking for a striker then It would indicate that Nicky Maynard is off.

Agree with the rest but why this? Maynard won't be moving when he hasn't kicked a ball in 6 months.

You don't make perm signings to cover injuries particularly not with an unbalanced squad the size of ours when there are at least three other areas we have more pressing needs in and the business made a £12m loss.

Pitman, Stead, Maynard, Haynes is enough strikers. You need four because sometimes one of them is injured - you don't need four available all the time and sign players to maintain having four available. That would mean they get so little game time they're not fresh and no meaningful partnerships form, it was GJ's blind spot with strikers.

Over the course of a season we might expect 10-15 from Stead and both Pitman and Maynard look capable of 15+ depending on who partners him regularly. We have Haynes to tire out defences and he'll get five or so. That's an embarrassment of riches and you'll see that if you go and look at the striking figures for clubs that have gone up in recent seasons.

If we sign a striker it ought to be a young cheap player we're taking a chance on to fill in a space vacated by Clarkson. Not an expensive signing.

I doubt very much it was a striker being watched, Millen knows better than that. I can't say I'm too happy about the idea of signing more players from the Scottish non-league though.

27 goals in 163 games isn't a striker who scores goals, he runs around like a headless chicken 90% of the time and has no end product very unreliable infront of goal,

other players would be castrated for this,

He isn't even getting on the bench so that will tell you what millen thinks and where his future lies and its not with city,

Yes he has pace to burn but thats about it all he is is a 22 yo version of Ivan Sproule

I suspect they put 2 and 2 together with respect of Goodwillie; everyone seems to be after him. He might have just been chancing his arm as Dundee Utd are in administration and every member of their squad is up for sale. Having said that, Reynolds is out of contract in the summer and highly rated (then again, so was Dave Partridge when he came down from Scotland) so perhaps he's thinking of a cheeky bid? Not heard of this Buaben fella, though i did notice Morgaro Gomis has been asking for a move down south and he's supposed to be well regarded. Not sure if he's an 'attacking' midfielder though

27 goals in 163 games isn't a striker who scores goals, he runs around like a headless chicken 90% of the time and has no end product very unreliable infront of goal,

other players would be castrated for this,

He isn't even getting on the bench so that will tell you what millen thinks and where his future lies and its not with city,

Yes he has pace to burn but thats about it all he is is a 22 yo version of Ivan Sproule

He's spent more than half of those games on the wing though.

Of course he could do with more composure in front of goal but you're ignoring the space he creates for his partner by stretching defences. He was a big part of why Maynard broke 20 goals.

He'll only score 5-8 a season unless his finishing markedly improves but he's a different dimension, a far, far better player than Sproule and he will have a future here.

We won't be signing an expensive striker, you can bet on that.

Agree with the rest but why this? Maynard won't be moving when he hasn't kicked a ball in 6 months.

You don't make perm signings to cover injuries particularly not with an unbalanced squad the size of ours when there are at least three other areas we have more pressing needs in and the business made a £12m loss.

Pitman, Stead, Maynard, Haynes is enough strikers. You need four because sometimes one of them is injured - you don't need four available all the time and sign players to maintain having four available. That would mean they get so little game time they're not fresh and no meaningful partnerships form, it was GJ's blind spot with strikers.

Over the course of a season we might expect 10-15 from Stead and both Pitman and Maynard look capable of 15+ depending on who partners him regularly. We have Haynes to tire out defences and he'll get five or so. That's an embarrassment of riches and you'll see that if you go and look at the striking figures for clubs that have gone up in recent seasons.

If we sign a striker it ought to be a young cheap player we're taking a chance on to fill in a space vacated by Clarkson. Not an expensive signing.

I doubt very much it was a striker being watched, Millen knows better than that. I can't say I'm too happy about the idea of signing more players from the Scottish non-league though.

Absolutely, just because Goodwillie is earning rave reviews doesn't mean that was who KM went to see.

The SPL pays wages we can easily match and a midfielder or full back on show could easily be his target.

Maynard is almost fit - thats 3 quality strikers - Haynes is'nt a complete player, but he's only 22 and goalscoring in something he could improve with age.

You say Haynes had a chance - but he had two games then dropped! not nearly enough to get fit.

I cant see where we need another striker when we have 5 soon to be all fit.

He's not going to get a game whilst Albert or the front two are fit, I've seen him have a couple of decent games, his best v The Baggies last season playing wide right. Thought he was average at bet v Palace and after his "cameo" at QPR where he looked useless and uninterested I think his days are limited to back up right winger, he has great pace but as previously highlighted by the majority, his finishing is crap.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if I never saw him in a City shirt again, same goes for Clarkson.

""Absolutely, just because Goodwillie is earning rave reviews doesn't mean that was who KM went to see.

The SPL pays wages we can easily match and a midfielder or full back on show could easily be his target""

City couldn't match the wages of either Glasgow club and the Gers are susposedly interested in Goodwillie. But as you say it may not have been Goodwillie who Millen wanted to watch. City don't need another striker, especially with Maynard on his way back.

Its good to see City linked with such promising players and possibly competing with the likes of Rangers.

""Absolutely, just because Goodwillie is earning rave reviews doesn't mean that was who KM went to see.

The SPL pays wages we can easily match and a midfielder or full back on show could easily be his target""

City couldn't match the wages of either Glasgow club and the Gers are susposedly interested in Goodwillie. But as you say it may not have been Goodwillie who Millen wanted to watch. City don't need another striker, especially with Maynard on his way back.

Its good to see City linked with such promising players and possibly competing with the likes of Rangers.

To be honest we probably could match the wages of rangers or celtic for a player they would see as a squad player but for us to pay it then said player would have to be an integral part of our squad. Very few players on over 10k a week at both clubs believe it or not.

Also referee fees are higher than about 40% of the players wage in the spl at the last count. Shows the state of football up there!

if I was millen I'd also have a look at Sean Morrison of Swindon town a very prospect at 20 and has an eye for goal,

He was good last season in their play-off run and has already scored 5 this season

Speaking to a Swindon mate last night, he was offering to drive Morrison to Reading - reckons he's awful against pace, and whatever they get for him is a bonus

goodwillie for Clarkson,

maynard I don't think we'll see much of this season he still is far from match fit not even played for the 2nd string yet maybe end of feb march,

Akinde is going, Haynes isn't any good up front Jackson isn't going to be a championship striker,

at the moment we have

Pittman

Stead

Clarkson

as our strikers who can score goals I think clarkson is going to leave sooner rather then later and you need 4 strikers in this league so yes we may well need another striker

i didnt think we needed another striker but what you're saying makes alot of sense, buying from the spl though is not ideal.

I have faith if millen decides we are buying a striker (or any player for that matter) he's better in the transfer market then Johnson and I'm was/am a big Gary Johnson fan,

Also Millen is in a much better postion then any of us to decide what we need and don't need

I have faith if millen decides we are buying a striker (or any player for that matter) he's better in the transfer market then Johnson and I'm was/am a big Gary Johnson fan,

Also Millen is in a much better postion then any of us to decide what we need and don't need

Agree so far Millen has been good in transfer market but I think we'll find in the end he was looking at the midfielders suggested above. Certainly he identified central midfield and left back as priorities and on those I totally agree with him.

I suspect they put 2 and 2 together with respect of Goodwillie; everyone seems to be after him. He might have just been chancing his arm as Dundee Utd are in administration and every member of their squad is up for sale. Having said that, Reynolds is out of contract in the summer and highly rated (then again, so was Dave Partridge when he came down from Scotland) so perhaps he's thinking of a cheeky bid? Not heard of this Buaben fella, though i did notice Morgaro Gomis has been asking for a move down south and he's supposed to be well regarded. Not sure if he's an 'attacking' midfielder though

Are`nt Dundee in admin, not Utd?

There are a handfull of great players in the Scottish league, unfortunately there are a lot of duds that are not even championship standard, i am not convinced that Scottish football is where we should be looking for our next purchase.

However as others have pointed out KM has done pretty well in the transfer Market so far so I will trust his judgement.

Archived