IGNORED

Academy....

spudski

...worth having?

I'd be interested to know how much money we have spent on the Academy over the years and compare it against how much we have saved ourselves in buying players from other clubs.

On the face of it, it seems a complete waste of time and money, from what i can see. How many players in recent years have come through the system and played regularly for us at first team level. Or, that we have sold on and made a profit on the amount of money spent on their training.

Any views?

Academy players 18+ should be part of our squad - 11 quality 1st team players, 8 good squad/sub players and 6 youngsters to fill in for when 2nd/3rd choice players are out. Else we may as well just close the academy if those players are not even 4th best at the club for a position.

My view for what its worth is...the Acedemy coaches should be judged in the same way their first team counter parts. i.e. results...clearly Southhamptons youth set up is worth is weight in gold and then some.....surely some presure should be put on Clayton et al, to start producung players who can step up. I like the idea of City taking on kids as young as five and coaching them but there has to be an end product.

My view for what its worth is...the Acedemy coaches should be judged in the same way their first team counter parts. i.e. results...clearly Southhamptons youth set up is worth is weight in gold and then some.....surely some presure should be put on Clayton et al, to start producung players who can step up. I like the idea of City taking on kids as young as five and coaching them but there has to be an end product.

There's nothing better than watching home grown players turning out for your team but our academy hasn't been famed for it's successes. Like you, I want us to have the academy but it has to start providing player or we may as well close it.

Southampton have been pinching the best local talent for years and just when our academy started producing, Tinnion and Johnson became City Managers and the best players were promptly sold or taken out of the academy by their parents.

We did produce a good number of young players who made a number of appearences, whether you rate them or not, Cole, Skuse, Woodman, Hill, Burnell, Amankwaah, Aaron Brown, Cotterill and a few others who I've forgotten all came through the system and were MASSIVE improvements on what we had previously, unfortunately for many of them it was the senior players around them that stopped them from playing at a better level

It was going well until a number of changes were made, Shaun Taylor leaving was a set back,

And the departures of Dave Burnside and Tony Fawthorp were shocking, too people who did alot for this club, Fawthrop especially was a City Legend along with Buster in my eyea for the work he did at this club.

The biggest problem recently was Johnson's treatment, he was a buyer, not a builder and was never willing to give any of the players a chance, so much so that a number of parents took their kids out of the academy.

Then the final straw was the departure of Kevin Scott to Stoke who had the impossible task of getting the kids into the club, which wasn't helped by managers policy, He was getting undermined by Johnson who felt he wasn't good at his job (despite him being one of the key men to convince Maynard's mother that City was the right club for her son to join) so when the Job offer from Stoke came along.......He was off like a shot, which did make Gary look a bit daft, but then it all became clear when Gary tried to get his other brother Steve the job which was rightly voeted by Sexstone and Lansdown.

The academy needs looking at without doubt and coaching and leadership is the issue, the quality young players are there and at their age levels are decent players, however they consistantly seem unable to make the step to mens level, From top to bottom it needs working out and once the season is over this is something that Wigley is going to be working on to get the system producing players again, at the moment though his work is understandably focused solely on the youth team.

Don't be surprised to see wholesale changes in the next 12 months.

City have made more money on the academy than they have spent on facilities coaching transport etc

Only I player is required to come through the ranks each year or one fairly large product tranferred in five - Leroy Lita!

David Cotterill $2million......(still dont understand how!)

Let's hope so, we've gone from producing first team probables like Cotterill, Lita and Skuse a few years ago to players who end up at Cheltenham or playing local non league football now.

I hope when the season is over we have a thorough review, I know there is competition for quality local youngsters from Southampton and Cardiff, but if we are going to bother to have an academy at all there has to be the confidence that it is likely to produce at least one potential first teamer every couple of years.....

...worth having?

I'd be interested to know how much money we have spent on the Academy over the years and compare it against how much we have saved ourselves in buying players from other clubs.

On the face of it, it seems a complete waste of time and money, from what i can see. How many players in recent years have come through the system and played regularly for us at first team level. Or, that we have sold on and made a profit on the amount of money spent on their training.

Any views?

From what I remember from about 10 years ago, the lavish expenditure on the academy was sold to us as a way of getting this club back in the top flight of English football. In this respect the academy has failed miserably. The club has been conned into spending far too much money on the academy - this is the way I see it. To be fair to ashton yate and his posts about the academy some years ago - he has been proved right.

Personally I would close the academy and spend money elsewhere. We do not bring enough talent through to justify its existence.

And not get a Rooney, one day we will. I trained with City as a youngster in the car park at AG, accadamey is the way forward, these players do A levels Etc also gives them a chance in life if they don't make it

Southampton have been pinching the best local talent for years and just when our academy started producing, Tinnion and Johnson became City Managers and the best players were promptly sold or taken out of the academy by their parents.

We did produce a good number of young players who made a number of appearences, whether you rate them or not, Cole, Skuse, Woodman, Hill, Burnell, Amankwaah, Aaron Brown, Cotterill and a few others who I've forgotten all came through the system and were MASSIVE improvements on what we had previously, unfortunately for many of them it was the senior players around them that stopped them from playing at a better level

It was going well until a number of changes were made, Shaun Taylor leaving was a set back,

And the departures of Dave Burnside and Tony Fawthorp were shocking, too people who did alot for this club, Fawthrop especially was a City Legend along with Buster in my eyea for the work he did at this club.

The biggest problem recently was Johnson's treatment, he was a buyer, not a builder and was never willing to give any of the players a chance, so much so that a number of parents took their kids out of the academy.

Then the final straw was the departure of Kevin Scott to Stoke who had the impossible task of getting the kids into the club, which wasn't helped by managers policy, He was getting undermined by Johnson who felt he wasn't good at his job (despite him being one of the key men to convince Maynard's mother that City was the right club for her son to join) so when the Job offer from Stoke came along.......He was off like a shot, which did make Gary look a bit daft, but then it all became clear when Gary tried to get his other brother Steve the job which was rightly voeted by Sexstone and Lansdown.

The academy needs looking at without doubt and coaching and leadership is the issue, the quality young players are there and at their age levels are decent players, however they consistantly seem unable to make the step to mens level, From top to bottom it needs working out and once the season is over this is something that Wigley is going to be working on to get the system producing players again, at the moment though his work is understandably focused solely on the youth team.

An interesting perspective..

I was thinking myself today about the accademy and its recent failure to produce first teamers...

It was clear that GJ was given the remit as others were to get us up and keep us up and I suspect his reluctance to try out a couple of the kids was based in the combination that the talent was thin and he was not willing to take a risk and spending wads of SL 's cash was a much better option

This club thrived in the past when the players were mostly home grown, however today we are a lot less patient as a society and are constantly looking for the quickest way to success which usually is actually the quickest way to failure...

Cashley Merrick Whitehead (Gow Gillies and Ritchie arguably) Tainton etc all either came through or were improved by the youth system adopted in the early 70's...Maybe a look to our past as a guide to our future is called for

This club thrived in the past when the players were mostly home grown, however today we are a lot less patient as a society and are constantly looking for the quickest way to success which usually is actually the quickest way to failure...

Cashley Merrick Whitehead (Gow Gillies and Ritchie arguably) Tainton etc all either came through or were improved by the youth system adopted in the early 70's...Maybe a look to our past as a guide to our future is called for

There were some big clubs after the likes of Cashley, Merrick, Whitehead, Gow, Ritchie and Tainton etc. This club did well to keep hold of them. What big club would be interested in our current crop and how much would they be worth ??????!!!!!

There were some big clubs after the likes of Cashley, Merrick, Whitehead, Gow, Ritchie and Tainton etc. This club did well to keep hold of them. What big club would be interested in our current crop and how much would they be worth ??????!!!!!

Well said RG, then there was John Atyeo, an English international who would not leave City. You mentioned Ashton Yate, now on Ziderheads who consistently pounded the Academy. You and I were two of the few that agreed with him.

One big name, Sir Bobby Charlton said a couple of years ago, that Academys under the current structure of English football, were a waste of money. He then went on to mention the fact that it was easier for clubs to buy established overseas professionals.

You would be hard pressed to find a Smith, Brown or Harris on modern day team lists. Possibly a Smittio, Browninski, or El Haris. With names like that, they have to be worth more.

Claytons Kids appear to become dead ducks in the water or permanent sick notes. Down to Coaching, management, steroids and diet.

Archived