IGNORED

What Might Maynard Be Worth In The Summer?

Southport Red

i think it's more how much he means to Newcastle, plus he is a better player than Maynard, and has proven that at a higher level. Newcastle through and through, up and coming through the ranks and just come into the England team. £35mil is way too much, more than Suarez, and what they paid for Torres, just trying to fill the void quickly. If Newcastle had a brain they'd accept the bid and get Crouch for about half the price they're getting for Carroll!

i think it's more how much he means to Newcastle, plus he is a better player than Maynard, and has proven that at a higher level. Newcastle through and through, up and coming through the ranks and just come into the England team. £35mil is way too much, more than Suarez, and what they paid for Torres, just trying to fill the void quickly. If Newcastle had a brain they'd accept the bid and get Crouch for about half the price they're getting for Carroll!

Not saying Maynard is better than Carroll and, while I agree with everything you said (esp about 'knee-jerks' and Carroll not being worth 35M, facts are, people are worth what someone is willing to pay.

IF (big if) Carroll is worth 35M then a fit and firing Nicky MUST be worth more than the 6M some were quoting on here not so long ago?

Interesting stats - if Liverpool pay £35million for Andy Carroll they are getting a player outscored in the Championship last season by Peter Whittingham, Nicky Maynard, Gary Hooper, Michael Chopra and Charlie Adam.

Makes you wonder.

well it doesn't make me wonder that Nicky is worth more, the same as or anything like the amount being quoted for Carroll.

I suspect this has more to do with $50m, being potentially paid by Chelsea, for Torres and wanting to give Ashley a number he would find difficult to turn down.

well it doesn't make me wonder that Nicky is worth more, the same as or anything like the amount being quoted for Carroll.

I suspect this has more to do with $50m, being potentially paid by Chelsea, for Torres and wanting to give Ashley a number he would find difficult to turn down.

wasn't it £50m and not $50m ?

Newcastle will be pissing themselves laughing if they get £35m for Carroll from Liverpool. He's an average centre forward with a major maturity problem. Not a world beating player worthy of that kind of fee.

Rarely have I heard a more ridiculous price for a player.

Newcastle will be pissing themselves laughing if they get £35m for Carroll from Liverpool. He's an average centre forward with a major maturity problem. Not a world beating player worthy of that kind of fee.

Rarely have I heard a more ridiculous price for a player.

About the going rate for an england international, especially one so young who has scoring ability and adds a lot off the ball, perhaps getting out of Newcastle and working with kenny will help mature him.

About the going rate for an england international, especially one so young who has scoring ability and adds a lot off the ball, perhaps getting out of Newcastle and working with kenny will help mature him.

Come off it. It is most definitely not the going rate for an England international as it is a record fee, and he has played only once for England. He's 22 not 17/18.

Bent's price was crazy enough, but at least he had a scoring record in the Prem longer than half a season - this is utterly ridiculous. He was outscored last season by midfielders in the division below despite playing for a side head and shoulders better than every other team.

There's a decent chance Carroll will get himself banged up and Liverpool could have signed nearly any forward in Europe for that money. Kenny is off his head totally and Newcastle will be sniggering all the way to the bank.

Mike Ashley just proved himself a better football businessman than Liverpool's new yank owners. Frightening times for their fans I am sure.

Maynard is worth what SL thinks. There is no hard and fast rule on this guy is worth this so our player is worth X. If there was transfers would be much easier to understand.

I can't really fathom why Liverpool are so desperate for Carroll. There are far better players out there, they have bought one in Suarez for a lot less money.

I wonder though who Newcastle will sign.

plus he is a better player than Maynard, and has proven that at a higher level.

Just because he has played at a higher level than Maynard, doesn't prove him to be a better player. Maynard has proved that he is better than Carroll in the Championship by scoring more goals. A like for like comparison will only be fair when Maynard has had a chance to prove himself in the Premier League (which won't be long in my opinion).

Maynard has the rare abililty to make a goal out of absolutely nothing.

If you need reminding of just how good our Nicky is just search youtube for "that goal" against QPR :yes:

Come off it. It is most definitely not the going rate for an England international as it is a record fee, and he has played only once for England. He's 22 not 17/18.

Bent's price was crazy enough, but at least he had a scoring record in the Prem longer than half a season - this is utterly ridiculous. He was outscored last season by midfielders in the division below despite playing for a side head and shoulders better than every other team.

There's a decent chance Carroll will get himself banged up and Liverpool could have signed nearly any forward in Europe for that money. Kenny is off his head totally and Newcastle will be sniggering all the way to the bank.

Mike Ashley just proved himself a better football businessman than Liverpool's new yank owners. Frightening times for their fans I am sure.

Very good post, agree with much of it, overpriced by a hefty amount. However I would say that Carroll's potential is massive and that though he may have been outscored by others in the Championship, he brings a lot more than simply goals.

Very good post, agree with much of it, overpriced by a hefty amount. However I would say that Carroll's potential is massive and that though he may have been outscored by others in the Championship, he brings a lot more than simply goals.

I wouldn't argue that Carroll isn't a decent enough player, he's a fairly useful old fashioned centre forward.

For £35m I would expect a world beater and with the best will in the world he will never be that.

35 million based on 3 months of good PL football, talk about ridiculous! Don't get me wrong he's a good player and has done better than I thought he would this season but you can't buy someone for that much based on seeing so little. David Villa went for less and he's probably the best striker in the world! The transfer market is just ludicrous at the moment and if you're English it becomes even more inflated. 35 million is an absurd price, even Man City wouldn't be that stupid.

Archived