IGNORED

How About........

Bar BS3

well Done keith for standing strong, not being pushed into making panic buys and getting some, if not all of the people that you actually wanted to strengthen the squad.

well done Steve for, yet again, inspite of heavy losses, supporting your manager to sign the players he feels will improve this squad.

Well done and thank you both.

Absolutely.

Whilst it would have been fantastic if we managed to sign Billy Jones as well, I'm happy with what we've got and that we didn't push the boat out too much. If Jones could be captured in the summer that'll be good enough for me.

well Done keith for standing strong, not being pushed into making panic buys and getting some, if not all of the people that you actually wanted to strengthen the squad.

well done Steve for, yet again, inspite of heavy losses, supporting your manager to sign the players he feels will improve this squad.

:city:

Keith deserves mega plaudits on showing real management class in the way he negotiates deals.

He didn't buckle to pressure and pay the inflated price tags set at the start of the window, and he held firm on his targets - if the opposing club didn't accept, never mind we'll wait to summer and reasses those targets against what over targets may have become available. That is the sign of a good strong manager IMO especially seeing as the only target is survival - no need to let our posistion dictate our buying power or panic buying any old player.

Also, he proved he's no fool as I imagine most clubs initially thought "rookie keith is on the phone, lets ask for 15-20% more than the going rate".

Well played Keith!

Ive broken me big toe today so have been some what out of the loop, but we are praising a manager who has signed a left winger and striker 97 million, when it has noted by all and sundry inc the manager iirc a left back and a centre mid.

Yes, I know stead is out injured and that leaves Jackson in reserve, but this is the same duo that would have known that Stead was injured ( as has been carrying it for a while) anyway and sold Haynes, forcing us to look at another striker became overriding priority taking over from other targets. When people are fit we will have too many strikers to keep happy and will be bedlam, but yeah thats okauy cos we have the option of a Perm on 93 day expiry. it will either be Dele or Maierhoffer!

Then we have Woolford.. a left winger, when we have a left winger on loan for he season, who has accordingly gone awol or something and a replacement in JCR, now we have our 3rd left winger.

We dont though have a recognised 1st choice RB, a back up or 1st choice LB, This 'mythical' central midfielder or moved to allay the impending Keeper crisis all 3 keepers are OPOC at seasons end. All can be approached and signed pre contracts elsewhere afaik, and yet its well done for buying these players.

( ive not mentioned whether they are good or not) im trying to look at it objectively and based on that these signings while they may be great dont solve longer existing problem

with a striker issue we could have gone 4-4-1-1 or something or even 4-5-1 or 5-4-1... its not as if we are scoring freely presently is it?

Whilst I'm relatively happy with today, there's food for thought in this post above

SL is a top chairman and has always supported his managers so Im not surprised he has done just this with KM.

Am I enthused by the signings? far from it. We have ignored the problem areas yet again have brought in players not necessarily better than what we already have in those positions.

Would of been delighted if we of signed a quality full back and a attack minded CM.

So for me not well done Keith.

SL is a top chairman and has always supported his managers so Im not surprised he has done just this with KM.

Am I enthused by the signings? far from it. We have ignored the problem areas yet again have brought in players not necessarily better than what we already have in those positions.

Would of been delighted if we of signed a quality full back and a attack minded CM.

Glad there is somebody else keeping feet firmly on the ground. The positive is that we have not been held to ransom and made panic signings, we needed another striker short-term and Keogh may improve things, or may be no better than what we have got. Woolford should add balance, but is still relatively new at this level, so may take a while to really make a mark. Let's not get carried away, still lots to do, and maybe an emergency loan if things don't improve. Best thing is that February starts tomorrow, hopefully ending that January curse.

To be fair, Clarkson is rubbish, Stead and Maynard are injured and Jackson isn't good enough to start. So a striker is something we need. Keogh isn't an out and out goalscorer, but will do a similar job to Stead by holding the ball and distributing it to the wings and to Pitman

Rose is injured and seems to spend all his time back at Spurs, JCR is not a left winger. Therefore, a left winger is also something we need. Woolford as scored 8 goals this season for arguably the weakest team in the league. Our whole midfield has only scored like 5... He's a creative player, and I'm guessing you all believe that if he plays on the left he will never drift inside or try a long ball to Adomah? He won't be glued to the left touchline all game. Everyone moans we havn't got a creative player, we sign one, and now people moan we havn't got a central creative player! If we sign one of them you'll moan he isn't left footed, then not English, then because he isn't foreign. We could of signed Charlie Adam for £25 and someone would moan we're buying off a northern club...

Ive broken me big toe today so have been some what out of the loop, but we are praising a manager who has signed a left winger and striker 97 million, when it has noted by all and sundry inc the manager iirc a left back and a centre mid.

Yes, I know stead is out injured and that leaves Jackson in reserve, but this is the same duo that would have known that Stead was injured ( as has been carrying it for a while) anyway and sold Haynes, forcing us to look at another striker became overriding priority taking over from other targets. When people are fit we will have too many strikers to keep happy and will be bedlam, but yeah thats okauy cos we have the option of a Perm on 93 day expiry. it will either be Dele or Maierhoffer!

Then we have Woolford.. a left winger, when we have a left winger on loan for he season, who has accordingly gone awol or something and a replacement in JCR, now we have our 3rd left winger.

We dont though have a recognised 1st choice RB, a back up or 1st choice LB, This 'mythical' central midfielder or moved to allay the impending Keeper crisis all 3 keepers are OPOC at seasons end. All can be approached and signed pre contracts elsewhere afaik, and yet its well done for buying these players.

( ive not mentioned whether they are good or not) im trying to look at it objectively and based on that these signings while they may be great dont solve longer existing problem

with a striker issue we could have gone 4-4-1-1 or something or even 4-5-1 or 5-4-1... its not as if we are scoring freely presently is it?

Well said. I can't get excited about the dealings in this window at all!

A good day for Keith in my book. Congratulations are due. Remains to be seen whether he filled the gaps but I'd take Keogh and Woolford for Haynes and Williams.

But on Steve L's support and our gratitude...

...whilst it's great that one of the richest men in the country supports our club...and owns it...folk on here lose perspective as soon as the numbers get big. The proportion of Steve's wealth that he will invest in the stadium (an asset which presumably he will effectively own) is large. But if his wealth - the assets he has in the bank so to speak - is anywhere near the £450m quoted in the last Sunday Times list then his investment in the playing staff is pretty meagre. To put it into perspective last year at around the same time SL was calculated to be worth £450m it was estimated that the average person in Britain had £2205 in the bank. When Steve spends £1m that's the same proportion of his wealth as the average joe taking a fiver out of the cashpoint.

I'm not saying I'm unhappy with Steve being our chairman. He's had a bad year but maybe 2011 will be better. And I'm certainly not saying he's a bad person...he's been good company when I've met him. But I don't think we have to feel grateful to him. The ST takes a far bigger chunk out of my wealth than running Bristol City for a year does out of his.

hows about lets reserve judgement ......these boys havnt even kicked a football yet and with all the let downs this season we should know better!

My main concern is that we can keep players injury free maybe we should have signed a new physio!!

Not sure were any where near the fittest team in the 2nd division anymore. Whats gone wrong in that respect keith. anyways lets look after our investments.

A good day for Keith in my book. Congratulations are due. Remains to be seen whether he filled the gaps but I'd take Keogh and Woolford for Haynes and Williams.

But on Steve L's support and our gratitude...

...whilst it's great that one of the richest men in the country supports our club...and owns it...folk on here lose perspective as soon as the numbers get big. The proportion of Steve's wealth that he will invest in the stadium (an asset which presumably he will effectively own) is large. But if his wealth - the assets he has in the bank so to speak - is anywhere near the £450m quoted in the last Sunday Times list then his investment in the playing staff is pretty meagre. To put it into perspective last year at around the same time SL was calculated to be worth £450m it was estimated that the average person in Britain had £2205 in the bank. When Steve spends £1m that's the same proportion of his wealth as the average joe taking a fiver out of the cashpoint.

I'm not saying I'm unhappy with Steve being our chairman. He's had a bad year but maybe 2011 will be better. And I'm certainly not saying he's a bad person...he's been good company when I've met him. But I don't think we have to feel grateful to him. The ST takes a far bigger chunk out of my wealth than running Bristol City for a year does out of his.

Interesting and well thought out post but i think you have failed to take into account one crucial point on wealth; you probably should be talking about actual disposable income or relatively liquid assets. Remember, the value of SL's wealth is largely taken up in share value compared to perhaps 5% of the figure you quote being 'available' in relatively liquid form. SL seems to be the kind of person to take the long term view with a balanced portfolio. it would be suicide if, as you are suggesting, he sells his stake in HL in order to have the liquid assets available to back up your asset ratio.

Looks like a good piece of business getting Woolford in even if he is not the creative midfielder Keith finally acknowledged we needed; Woolford announcing in his press conference that he is an 'out and out left winger'. We also lack strength in depth at left back. Keogh was a necessary loan of course; his goal scoring prowess is not great but perhaps he will hold the ball up more for others so could be a canny move. No doubt it has already lifted the dressing room, if indeed it needed lifting, and all of us and time will tell if the lack of strengthening in more important areas continues to cause us real problems on the pitch. Perhaps, I hope, the loan window in a week from now will see further movement.

To put it into perspective last year at around the same time SL was calculated to be worth £450m it was estimated that the average person in Britain had £2205 in the bank. When Steve spends £1m that's the same proportion of his wealth as the average joe taking a fiver out of the cashpoint.

What a one sided view to that arguement!!

SL being valued at £450m is not the cash he has in his current account! You d understand that, yeah?

It is an accurately calculated guestamation as to the value of his stocks, shareholdings, assets and income.

Also, the "average Joe" in most cases does not only have the cash in his current account, but also equity in his home, pension schemes, shares, investments etc.

Obviously Sl is mega rich, and lucky for us he is and combines this with a Love for the same club as us! But if you are going to make an arguement to try and belittle his contribtions, then at least try and make it a relitively accurate one!!

What a one sided view to that arguement!!

SL being valued at £450m is not the cash he has in his current account! You d understand that, yeah?

It is an accurately calculated guestamation as to the value of his stocks, shareholdings, assets and income.

Also, the "average Joe" in most cases does not only have the cash in his current account, but also equity in his home, pension schemes, shares, investments etc.

Obviously Sl is mega rich, and lucky for us he is and combines this with a Love for the same club as us! But if you are going to make an arguement to try and belittle his contribtions, then at least try and make it a relitively accurate one!!

Ok - if you include all assets then the ONS suggests that the median average wealth of household in the south west is around £270k...but how much of that is liquid? The vast majority of that is the value of property and pension...Folk have to live somewhere and if you have a pension you'd be unlikely to cash it in. What you have in your savings account is - I'd argue - what you have to spend on hobbies.

If you're SL the proportion of your income that is tied up keeping a roof over your head and paying the household bills is very small....a far higher % of his assets could be cashed in...as seen from his sales of shares to fund the stadium. If you're wealthy it's a case of priorities, what you want to spend your money on. SL wants to spend it on his hobby. It gives him a far bigger profile than any business investment he's made.

I'm not trying to belittle his contributions. But maybe a little perspective is useful when people thank the rich for spending their money.

Interesting and well thought out post but i think you have failed to take into account one crucial point on wealth; you probably should be talking about actual disposable income or relatively liquid assets. Remember, the value of SL's wealth is largely taken up in share value compared to perhaps 5% of the figure you quote being 'available' in relatively liquid form. SL seems to be the kind of person to take the long term view with a balanced portfolio. it would be suicide if, as you are suggesting, he sells his stake in HL in order to have the liquid assets available to back up your asset ratio.

Good points...tried to address them above...wouldn't exactly be "suicide" if the rich were a little less rich though...

"I'm not trying to belittle his contributions. But maybe a little perspective is useful when people thank the rich for spending their money."

What a ridiculous thing to say. Its HIS money , as you say , and he doesn't have to spend it on City. He chooses to and for every penny he does , we should all be grateful. Just because he has a shit load more cash than the rest of us , he isn't obligated to blow milions of pounds of his personal wealth just to keep us happy.

"I'm not trying to belittle his contributions. But maybe a little perspective is useful when people thank the rich for spending their money."

What a ridiculous thing to say. Its HIS money , as you say , and he doesn't have to spend it on City. He chooses to and for every penny he does , we should all be grateful. Just because he has a shit load more cash than the rest of us , he isn't obligated to blow milions of pounds of his personal wealth just to keep us happy.

He's "blowing" his cash to keep himself happy - and gets a bit of hero worship along the way.

But I've said my piece and I'll keep my head down now...sorry - I'm very grateful Mr Lansdown.

I think Woolford could improve us- he can also play up front or in the centre. All 3 out of contract!? That is a bit of a concern, what with 1 having got no first team football here in some while (Henderson), another not this year (Gerken) and the 3rd now over 40! I guess withstriker problems Keogh of use.

Agree about last point definitely, we need to move away from 4-4-2 and move to a more fluid style. I've thought this for some time, 4-4-2 just seems rigid and staid to me, especially with our lack of creativity in the centre...

With Stead out for 2 months and Maynard weeks away it was difficult to see where the next goal was coming from with Pitman the only decent fit striker, who needs a presence alongside him to be effective. Keogh is a proven target man and scorer at this level so a 3 month loan makes perfect sense and was without doubt the position we most desperately needed to fill.

So I say well done to KM on that one.

Woolford is an attacking midfield player albeit left sided, and we dont have too many of those because Rose is injured and lests face it JCR spends most games disappearing up his own ass with that spin thing he does. If Wooford is capable of getting past his man on the left as Adomah does on the right that will prove to be another astute signing.

IMO those two signings especially Keogh have guaranteed we will be playing Championsip at least next season.

Woolford is an attacking midfield player albeit left sided, and we dont have too many of those because Rose is injured and lests face it JCR spends most games disappearing up his own ass with that spin thing he does. If Wooford is capable of getting past his man on the left as Adomah does on the right that will prove to be another astute signing.

Well done that man - you should be a poet!

With Stead out for 2 months and Maynard weeks away it was difficult to see where the next goal was coming from with Pitman the only decent fit striker, who needs a presence alongside him to be effective. Keogh is a proven target man and scorer at this level so a 3 month loan makes perfect sense and was without doubt the position we most desperately needed to fill.

Simplistic to assume a new striker = goals will flow, I suggest the problems are else where within the team. Point being Id rather we'd of brought in proven quality elsewhere in the squad, In Pitman we have a player capable of being our spearhead assuming the supply line is there.

Attacking midfielder is misleading, he's a left winger and regardless of your opinion of them we already have plenty of options in this position.

IMO those two signings especially Keogh have guaranteed we will be playing Championsip at least next season.

Guaranteed? Nothing is guaranteed in life and you know this. Championship football at least! Are you suggesting we have a outside chance of the playoffs?

Archived