IGNORED

What Is The Answer?

Red_Jim

Seriously, I'm at a total loss as to where we go next this season. I think Keith Millen is totally not the man for the job, but I also don't see what we can do now by sacking him... Who would come in and keep us up? We've got a terrible squad of players and we seem to be completely shot.

I've not felt this despondent about City before, this has been the most depressing season I can remember. At least under Johnson when we lost 9 in a row he was throwing hand grenades and you could see him trying to change the culture. Now we just seem completely rudderless, from the the manager through to the lack of leadership on the field. Many supporters are throwing the towel in and I can't blame them. I live in London now and I was a season ticket holder for 5 seasons, right up until we got promoted and I went off to Uni. I had the opportunity to go and watch City at QPR and Palace in the last month, and I went to neither (just a tube journey away). I used to go through thick and thin - I was at Chesterfield when we lost 3-0 under GJ in the middle of that awful run, but now I just can't stomach it anymore.

I'm 24 and been following since 1992, in case anyone's interested (I wasn't around for 1982). I feel like Bristol City has lost its identity and togetherness - all these false promises. Gary Johnson pulled this club together, and now, in the space of a year, it's all fallen apart.

Where do we go from here?

Seriously, I'm at a total loss as to where we go next this season. I think Keith Millen is totally not the man for the job, but I also don't see what we can do now by sacking him... Who would come in and keep us up? We've got a terrible squad of players and we seem to be completely shot.

I've not felt this despondent about City before, this has been the most depressing season I can remember. At least under Johnson when we lost 9 in a row he was throwing hand grenades and you could see him trying to change the culture. Now we just seem completely rudderless, from the the manager through to the lack of leadership on the field. Many supporters are throwing the towel in and I can't blame them. I live in London now and I was a season ticket holder for 5 seasons, right up until we got promoted and I went off to Uni. I had the opportunity to go and watch City at QPR and Palace in the last month, and I went to neither (just a tube journey away). I used to go through thick and thin - I was at Chesterfield when we lost 3-0 under GJ in the middle of that awful run, but now I just can't stomach it anymore.

I'm 24 and been following since 1992, in case anyone's interested (I wasn't around for 1982). I feel like Bristol City has lost its identity and togetherness - all these false promises. Gary Johnson pulled this club together, and now, in the space of a year, it's all fallen apart.

No seriously.. we have to scrape across the line this season and then say to keith thanks for all you have done and we wish you well in your future career. Then invite Alan Curbishley down for serious talks.

Btw.. i do not buy your view we have a poor squad.. yes it still needs a lot of work but there is a decent core of players here and all they need to be much better players is to be motivated. They are unable to be continually motivated under Millen, that much is fairly clear.

So don't be too downbeat, yet. the future is bright, probably.

I genuinely feel we are past the point where replacing Millen will save this season.

The only thing that will keep us up this year is if teams like Palace, Preston and Scunny avoind any sort of form what so ever.

I cant remember seeing such a gutless, clueless set up as we have now.

Well said. I'm afraid I share your disappointment. Gary Johnson brought so much more to the club than success on the pitch. Despite what some post on here he was an inspiration to the supporters and had us eating out of his hand. You need that at a club. City felt like a family - home and away. It's a family at war at the moment...just read the posts on here.

I've had 25 more years of this than you. It'll pick up. But there's nothing (yet) to suggest that it'll pick up under Keith Millen...my hope is that there are 3 worse teams than us...

I don't know where to start. 4 centre halves across the back line. We've got 7 wingers on the books. Keogh looked utterly unfit. Elliot had one of his worst games in a City shirt. Swansea played the first half not just like the home team but like a training game. We may as well not have turned up.

Millen makes 2 subs at half time which is a rarity for him but then he was hardly going to get away with pretending things were going well yet again, so instead we have the tacit admission that his selection was hopeless and he introduces a proper full back and something extra in central midfield.

The positive effect of that lasts for about 4 minutes, but you can't hide being a poor team for much more than that and in short, we didn't. Not sure where you begin as far as re-building this side, there's not much to work with. Caulker will take his Player of the Year award home and we'll be left with Albert.

I don't know where to see the light in Millen's future. I see a team that is poorly organised, unmotivated, and badly setup for opponents, I see our better players getting progressively worse, and then I consider the month we've had to remedy full back and playmaker and instead we sign another winger.

This club is going one way only at the moment. Booting out a bunch of managers until they got it right didn't do QPR any harm.

The answer today first half was Keith, second the players.

First half our tactics were all wrong, their no 5 was just waltzing up to the half way line from CB. Played like the away team, could have been 2-3 down at HT.

Second half, first 15 mins we were a different side. We pressed as a team and pushed and pushed and were on top. Then it just sort of fell flat and 5mins later they scored. Why the players stopped I dont know.

Pressing is when we play best. Reading, Cardiff, Leicester, Sheff Utd, etc. We pressed as a team and capitalised on mistakes.We almost did twice before they scored.

Keep 'em pressing Keith and we'll stay up

:englandsmile4wf:

I don't know where to start. 4 centre halves across the back line. We've got 7 wingers on the books. Keogh looked utterly unfit. Elliot had one of his worst games in a City shirt. Swansea played the first half not just like the home team but like a training game. We may as well not have turned up.

Millen makes 2 subs at half time which is a rarity for him but then he was hardly going to get away with pretending things were going well yet again, so instead we have the tacit admission that his selection was hopeless and he introduces a proper full back and something extra in central midfield.

The positive effect of that lasts for about 4 minutes, but you can't hide being a poor team for much more than that and in short, we didn't. Not sure where you begin as far as re-building this side, there's not much to work with. Caulker will take his Player of the Year award home and we'll be left with Albert.

I don't know where to see the light in Millen's future. I see a team that is poorly organised, unmotivated, and badly setup for opponents, I see our better players getting progressively worse, and then I consider the month we've had to remedy full back and playmaker and instead we sign another winger.

This club is going one way only at the moment. Booting out a bunch of managers until they got it right didn't do QPR any harm.

Best post ive read on here in ages...take a bow fella!!!

The answer is some decent tactics something Mullen is not capable of! We go behind because he has obviously gone out and Said don't concede in the first 20 mins so we do and then he waits until half time to change them! Thing is when we take the lead were ok But if we dont were clueless! We also need 2 central mid players not one! Lj marv or skuse are not good enough!!! I reckon we should be after tisdale in the summer Exeter play some great football under him! Getting rid of Mullen now will not help as the squad is so bad we just have to pray that 3 team are worse than us in the run in!

Yeah, its not their billionaire owner at all. The team were fine today when they pressed, first 15 of the 2nd half. Just send them out and press and we will win (or at least stay up)

And the difference with QPR is that they went for precisely the sort of experience that SL stated he was signing when we booked Coppell for the job. Precisely the experience that Millen lacks.

We made a defensive error resulting in a sloppy goal and the tiny amount of fragile confidence it had taken all week to instill in the players evaporated instantly.

We then stood 10 yards off every Swansea player in fear of making another mistake and allowed them the freedom of the Gate.

Briefly showed some life after the half time rocket, only to find out that Swansea aren't actually a bad side who panic, and then collapse when they got the second.

The fog was a blessing.

There isn't some magical wand anybody can wave here. Changing personnel won't do it. I doubt signing more players on loan will either (though if we can strengthen we should).

What we need is to somehow turn around the confidence of the players.

Usually this takes a catalyst, I'm not sure what that could be though.

We made a defensive error resulting in a sloppy goal and the tiny amount of fragile confidence it had taken all week to instill in the players evaporated instantly.

We then stood 10 yards off every Swansea player in fear of making another mistake and allowed them the freedom of the Gate.

Briefly showed some life after the half time rocket, only to find out that Swansea aren't actually a bad side who panic, and then collapse when they got the second.

The fog was a blessing.

There isn't some magical wand anybody can wave here. Changing personnel won't do it. I doubt signing more players on loan will either (though if we can strengthen we should).

Whilst not advocating it for a second, the only catalyst I know of available to us is a change of management or a complete overhaul of training.

The fog was a blessing.

Stop sitting on the fence Nibor!!!

Men against boys, only way to describe it. No passion, no class, no anything. Never mind Keith giving Keogh a challenge to prove to him he credits a long term deal at the club, the challenge will be for Keith to still be in charge to make that decision, and to persuade/beg Keogh to sign!

Whilst not advocating it for a second, the only catalyst I know of available to us is a change of management or a complete overhaul of training.

As a matter of interest. Overhaul the Training. Exactly what do you advocate. The manager going is a foregone conclusion, sadly by which stage we'll be back in League 1 anyway

The fog was a blessing.

Good summary but as to a catalyst the sight of Keith standing arms folded and occasionally clapping half-heartedly doesn't suggest to me that he is it.:disapointed2se:

As a matter of interest. Overhaul the Training. Exactly what do you advocate. The manager going is a foregone conclusion, sadly by which stage we'll be back in League 1 anyway

As a matter of pure speculation, our training can't be doing much to improve us!

Is it all becoming too samey? Why was it that under Johnson we were the "fittest in the division" and now nobody in our squad can play 90 mins at full throttle?

Is Alan Walsh, Glen Schmidt, John Clayton etc good enough to progress players at THIS level?

Today was a terrible performance, but it was against the best side to play at AG this season... If we don't get three points on Saturday then even me.... The perennial Mr Positive will start to have doubts.

As a matter of pure speculation, our training can't be doing much to improve us!

Is it all becoming too samey? Why was it that under Johnson we were the "fittest in the division" and now nobody in our squad can play 90 mins at full throttle?

Is Alan Walsh, Glen Schmidt, John Clayton etc good enough to progress players at THIS level?

Today was a terrible performance, but it was against the best side to play at AG this season... If we don't get three points on Saturday then even me.... The perennial Mr Positive will start to have doubts.

Given our season so far, we'll win Saturday, and its then the following Saturday we'll be shit again da da da da etc

You have a point with the fitness, also our injury list this season has been horrendous, which perhaps suggests the fitness, warm ups and training are lacking in balance.

There was a game in Johnson's first season, I think it was Chesterfield at home. During the long run of defeats.

At half time we were three one down and the ground pretty much half emptied when Chesterfield got a fourth.

For some weird reason that was a turning point - we'd had enough and the crowd got right behind the team.

We got a goal back in the end and that was the game on which GJ's reign hinged.

We lost the next couple of games too but the performances were massively improved and the Bradford one I remember being very unjust.

Then we went on a 7 game unbeaten run and only lost a handful more times that season.

The following season we went up.

It was 100% to do with confidence and what turned it around was a completely unplanned circumstance.

I thought there was a chance of something similar tonight for about five minutes after half time where the crowd actually supported the players.

Stop sitting on the fence Nibor!!!

Explain? If you're talking about the manager's position I doubt sacking him would improve anything at all and the idea of Curbishley coming here is absolute fantasy.

We have to turn this around with the people at the club right now, and that's going to take support.

I think we need a complete overhaul - that's the manager and the coaching staff all out of the door. Allow the new man (Tisdale/Lee Clark/Curbishley...) to start with a clean slate and bring in his own staff with a new approach. It's all too easy at City and it needs a big shake-up.

I fear we will have to go down to League One first though. I can't see us making the necessary changes and the new man having the time to keep us in the division this season. I've officially lost hope now - I can't see us turning it around.

Good summary but as to a catalyst the sight of Keith standing arms folded and occasionally clapping half-heartedly doesn't suggest to me that he is it.:disapointed2se:

Maybe not, I would think if Keith were the catalyst we wouldn't be where we are. He isn't Mr Charisma, it's not his personality.

Changing managers seems to me to fail badly just as often as it succeeds, and I don't think the manager is the problem here.

I think we had a massive downer due to Coppell bottling it and literally anybody would have struggled in those circumstances.

I think Keith Millen is building the squad the right way.

I am sure my memory is going but apart from Maynard who of substance is out injured now?

Macca still not fully fit - hence benched, hence stewart starting (hopefully never again)

skuse - out and sorely missed

Rose - far better option than JCR

stead - our best all round forward

Clayton is academy coach not first team

Schmidt is a purely a fitness coach and the same man as under GJ

Archived