IGNORED

Yeovil Fan-henderson

valetta baby

If James should retire at end of season you have a ready made replacement in Henderson.

He has been superb for us and gets better and better.

Good shot stopper,commands area well and is fearless.

His kicking isn't perfect but would say he is certainly ready for step up to CCC level.

After this season obviously as we need him.

How's Caulker getting on.We were talking about him tonight.

Next season-Squad player/sub/1st team for Spurs?

Most Clubs would have already noticed that they had a quality young keeper on their books, and have made plans to start giving him regular first team games. However, this is City, so we loan him out, and I think his contract is up in the summer, so if he has any ense, he'll find a club where he can be number one, and develop into a top class keeper. Or he can re-sign for City and have another few seasons out on loan. We're not big on youth development up here.

Caulker has been excellent this season, amidst a heap of mediocrity. Player of the Season by a mile, in fact our only consistent player of the season. If he had been one of our Academy products, he'd probably be on loan with you or Cheltenham!

Great win tonight, hope you can keep out of relegation trouble - Might see you next season! A good excuse to visit Palmers chippy.

http://thetwounfortu...-henderson.html

The Monday Profile: Stephen Henderson

In his second contribution to the two unfortunates in as many weeks, Ben Barrett profiles Stephen Henderson, scourge of many a League One striker.

The role of second choice goalkeeper must be one of the most frustrating jobs in football, yet being a back-up and then seeing your club sign an England stopper must make your heart sick.

This is exactly what happened to Bristol City stopper Stephen Henderson at the start of the season. There may have been excitement around the whole the city when the Robins announced the signature of David James, but a cloud loomed over Chez Henderson.

‘Hendo’ had two choices: either stay and fight for his place, probably aiming for nothing better than a position on the bench, or get out and prove himself. Luckily for Yeovil Town he chose the latter.

The 22 year-old Irishman initially joined the Glovers on a month-long loan to cover the injury to regular custodian fellow loanee John Sullivan but Terry Skiverton saw enough in that time to secure his services for the rest of the season.

Skiverton’s decision has been more than justified, and Henderson’s role has not gone unnoticed as Yeovil have gone on an incredible run, seeing them move from the bottom of the table to seventeenth place in little over a month.

Henderson was formerly an academy ‘keeper at Aston Villa before he made the move to Bristol, but his current form wouldn’t be out of place in most Championship, and dare I say it, Premier League squads.

Looking around at teams in the Championship, I find it incredible to compare Henderson with the second and third choice goalies.

In his last 6 or 7 games Henderson has kept the Glovers in games at key points with his most credible performance coming at Sheffield Wednesday. His side were down to nine men and were trying to hold a 2-1 lead; in the end they couldn’t save it, but it was Henderson’s arms, legs and even his face that held the home side for 86 minutes.

Yeovil have had their fair share of loan goalkeepers over the years. Asmir Begović, Alex McCarthy and Chris Weale have all played vital roles in recent seasons, but it wouldn’t be an exaggeration to suggest Henderson is the most important goalkeeper the Huish Park side have had since entering the Football League. Not a bad accolade for a player who has only played 15 games for the club.

Yeovil supporters are drooling at his keeping abilities, but the truth is that Henderson’s performances are of a higher quality than a League One relegation battle; scouts are known to have viewed him and rival clubs could be preparing a move in the summer.

There are some good stoppers around at the moment. Alex Smithies at Huddersfield, Kieran Westwood at Coventry and Joe Lewis at Peterborough are all quite possibly destined for bigger things. Should they depart their sides and leave a gap open in a promotion-chasing League One side or even in the second tier, then I’d be surprised to see Henderson turn the opportunity down.

For now, though, I’m happy to say that Bristol City’s loss is very much the Glovers’ gain. If Bristol City can wrap David James and Dean Gerken up in cotton wool then that would be just perfect.

another article on Henderson here by a Yeovil fan, sounds like he is impressing!

Lets hope we tie him down ASAP and promise him the no 1 spot when james retires

We 100% need his services when James finishes his playing career, wouldn't be suprised (or too dissapointed) to see Gerken move on at the end of the season as he is at the stage in his career where he needs to be playing week in week out.

Hendo is the future of our No. 1 shirt without a doubt

Anyone else rather see James not sign for next season meaning Henderson stays and becomes are number 1? Personally I think in the long term it would be more beneficial for us to make Henderson number 1 next season otherwise he'll most likely leave, I can see him becoming a top keeper and it would be such a shame to see him go without ever having a chance here. I have nothing against James, but I think we should be looking long term and that means James leaving at the end of this season.

Is Hendo training with us?

Because I'm torn between wanting him to get games and wanting him to be training and shadowing DJ as much as possible to enhance his development, It would be a crime if we weren't utilising DJ's knowledge and ability to further develop Hendo!

+1, Absolutely!

Time they started some contract talks to make sure he doesn't 'walk' for some derisory figure set by the panel....:disapointed2se:

I have put in similar topic to this in the past -- is it not about time we fans styarted campaigning the club to get henederson and stop messing him about -- by all accounts and from what I have seen he is going to be pure class and that is such a strength in a team. Petition to the board anyone?? -

Good point about is Hendo training with city or not. With 'youth' loans such as Caulker and Rose they spend a day or two training at their parent clubs, but not sure if you can technically do this with a normal loan? My guess is not, Hendo is with Yeovil throughout the week.

I certainly hope City tie him up on a deal - certainly impressed when he had a few games at the end of last season, & his Yeovil form sounds impressive. I would personally let Gerken go in the summer, get a few pennies for him, and sign a young goalie to be on the sub bench (or promote from within - is this Lewis Carey any good?) whilst Hendo is back loan to Yeovil (if they stay up). City would get another year from James before he hangs his boots, and Hendo will have a full season under his belt.

David James will almost inevitably be with City next season as he was delighted when he had played enough games to trigger the second season extension. An ideal arrangement next season would be a new three year contract for Henderson and a season loan to Yeovil with a 7 day recall for City plus a couple of training sessions under DJ's guidance each week. Alternatively, he could stay at City and be first choice for cup matches and spend a whole season here to benefit from DJ's experience. Disappointingly though, I suspect that he will move on to another Championship club and City will get a transfer fee as he is under 24.

We definitely need to offer him a contract. He seems like the perfect replacement for DJ.

Apparently he doesn't know what his situation is for next season. He is out of contract (I believe) and he is waiting for discussions to start. I understand that City typically leave these discussions until the end of the season.

Irish Red

Apparently he doesn't know what his situation is for next season. He is out of contract (I believe) and he is waiting for discussions to start. I understand that City typically leave these discussions until the end of the season.

Irish Red

Brilliant! Another rosenior jr on the cards then. Theres nothing stopping yeovil or any other club signing him up for next season, now! He can be tapped up pre contract and we cant do anything!

Anyone else rather see James not sign for next season meaning Henderson stays and becomes are number 1? Personally I think in the long term it would be more beneficial for us to make Henderson number 1 next season otherwise he'll most likely leave, I can see him becoming a top keeper and it would be such a shame to see him go without ever having a chance here. I have nothing against James, but I think we should be looking long term and that means James leaving at the end of this season.

Agree 100%, I can't see him signing if we keep James, and to be quite honest, I don't blame him. And let's face it, a 3rd choice keeper at a struggling Championship club is hardly likely to command a high tribunal fee. Probably another sad loss because of the continued short-termism shown by City.

If James should retire at end of season you have a ready made replacement in Henderson.

He has been superb for us and gets better and better.

Good shot stopper,commands area well and is fearless.

His kicking isn't perfect but would say he is certainly ready for step up to CCC level.

After this season obviously as we need him.

How's Caulker getting on.We were talking about him tonight.

Next season-Squad player/sub/1st team for Spurs?

well said that man. as far as I'm concerned you can HAVE the over rated Gerkin, Henderson should now be being groomed to take over from Jamo. But being City, we'll let him go and keep bloody Gerkin. Get him signed up, we dont want a Rosenior sitiation, specially with our best keeper potentially since Waugh & Leaning

as for Caulker I would imagine he would be in the 1st team as Spurs next season, yes.

Archived