IGNORED

Play Clarkson As A Midfielder.

BCFC Jordan

If you google Clarkson's time at Motherwell you won't find a single reference to him as anything except a striker. He is constantly referred to as 'Motherwell striker David Clarkson' or 'Scotland striker' or 'Motherwell start striker'. My understanding was that he played off a traditional centre forward, so just as much a striker as, say, Pittman or Maynard. I can't find any reference to him ever having played in midfield.

If you google Clarkson's time at Motherwell you won't find a single reference to him as anything except a striker. He is constantly referred to as 'Motherwell striker David Clarkson' or 'Scotland striker' or 'Motherwell start striker'. My understanding was that he played off a traditional centre forward, so just as much a striker as, say, Pittman or Maynard. I can't find any reference to him ever having played in midfield.

thats the end of that idea then. disapointed2se.gif!

Clarkson is shit end of give Rose a go when fit

I dont think Harry Redknapp would like this,

He is on loan to us as a left winger, and thats why Harry sent him here, to get experience.

But not just playing him anywhere.to fill gaps.

With Caulker also his team mate i wouldn't rock the boat.

thats bollocks

I remember Keith saying when they watched him at Well he played on the left of a front three. Either way he is no centre forward and will benefit from having a bit more room to play in if he is not right up front, given his lack of pace, I reckon.

Now I know he isn't the most popular City player on this forum (A bit of an understatement) but personally I am a fan of Clarkson. It is clear he doesn't have the strength nor pace to play up front in this league but we do know he is an intelligent player and will work hard and probably end up being a better defensive outlook than LJ also. With all this took into account and our lack of a decent creative CM I believe that Clarkson should be given a chance to play there especially now with Skuse out injured.

I think millen should employ ya ;)

Anybody lucky enough to go to PNE like to give their views on how Clarkson dealt with the centre midfield role?

Will Millen try it again against Leeds?

Could this solve our midfield problem?

Have we saved ourselves a lot of money?

(Good shout BCFC Jordan)

Is it still too early to dust off my Clarkson jersey ? :)

Will be interesting to see what he does. Millen tried a similar formation late in the Swansea game and we created a couple of chances (Pitman had one headed off the line). I didn't go to Preston, but it sounds like we pushed Woolford and Pitman up against their full backs probably to try and stop them going forward. I guess Clarkson then had a free role and was able to try and find space in between their defence and midfield. His problem has always been his inability to play with someone right on him.He's neither strong or quick, and struggles without a litle bit of time and space. However, he does have ability and can finish. Up to now, we've not find the way to get the best of his ability. Hopefully, he can show his value in this role as we know we can play orthodox 4-4-2. It could mean Albert having a overdue rest - he's looked jaded recently.

It's also worth bearing in mind that he was quite ill early on in is time with us and that knocked him back and the club has since been through a bit of turmoil and is now just about coming out the other side. He probably feels that he hasn't shown anything like what he is capable of. However, if he is ever going to do something for us it needs to be now or we'll be looking to get rid. We are now the farthest we've been from the relegation places all season so maybe Millen will start looking at a couple of things tactically and to give players like Edwards a run to see if they are up to it.

I thought he was anonymous first half, not bad second, but actually fairly decent in midfield. He clearly isn't a bad player. He certainly contributed a lot more than Pitman did today.

Pitman contributed jack today. Unless Keogh was injured I CANNOT understand why Pitman wasnt pulled off rather than Keogh. Clarkson was like all of the team average 1st half, and I thought he was pretty near our best player 2nd half. Elliott was awful, and so far I cant get enthused by Woolford. So far hes hyped to hell

Pitman contributed jack today. Unless Keogh was injured I CANNOT understand why Pitman wasnt pulled off rather than Keogh. Clarkson was like all of the team average 1st half, and I thought he was pretty near our best player 2nd half. Elliott was awful, and so far I cant get enthused by Woolford. So far hes hyped to hell

Millen said in his post match interview that Keogh was having problems with his achilles following 2 kicks on it in first half that somehow weren't given as fouls.......

Millen said in his post match interview that Keogh was having problems with his achilles following 2 kicks on it in first half that somehow weren't given as fouls.......

That makes pefect sense, Keogh was taken out at least three times obviously Leeds realised he was potentially our biggest threat, and laid into him. There were three definite fouls on him, and at least one on Maynard which should have got cards. Lets hope he aint injured for the next couple of games

On another note Elliott really needs to stop passing sideways/backwards every single time.

Would rather he passed it backwards or sideways than gave it away cheaply by trying to play a premature forward ball! Watch Barca/Spain or other top sides in this country and abroard. You will see plenty of backward/sideways passes while the team wait and try to work out the best route through.

I thought Clarkson did ok considering it's a new role for him. He played a few good forward balls to get Albert and MW into wide spaces and supported the attacks quite well. The problem is that Marv, Cisse and DC seemed at times to get in each others way. But considering this line-up is still in its infancy it may develop yet. We need to be quicker though and work harder at closing the other team down. This was really noticable against Swansea and to some extent today.

The constant disruption through injuries doesn't help, with Louis forced off with yet another broken nose! Cisse did pretty well at RB considering he had probably their most skillful player to mark.

Lots of comments about the formation today, if it had worked then everyone would being saying well done Keith. What I will say though is Pitman is no wide player. He is IMO the best natural striker we have (including NM). So he needs to be played where he can be more effective. He's the sort of player who doesn't even think about whether to shoot, he just hits it, and generally on target.

NM just takes a little more time but of course has the wonderful ability to make a goal out of nothing, so it's great to see him back. Most of last season's were spectacular strikes from outside the box. I hope he and Pitman can work together because they ought to able to produce at least 30 goals between them in a full season.

Whether DC is the midfiled creative answer to provide the passes for some of those goals is another matter.

Archived