IGNORED

Is Banksy Really A City Fan?

Red Knowle

Considering all the opportunities there are to make anti capatalist works about football or pro or anti vale pieces why is there no city work by the man?

Seems like this is just a myth made up by city fans if you had his skill and reputation wouldnt you use it to create a bit of a buzz around your club just once?

Imagine the publicity for city if one morning banksy had stencil bombed the hell out of BS3 with city pieces about our club? City would instantly have a bit of the cool of st pauli.

Reckon he could be less of a a red than russell crowe is.

If banksy works appeared round the ground or BS3 it would boost the club local pubs the spin off are immense and people right round the world would know about bristol city being banksys club.

It really makes no difference in practice.

John Cleese, Tony Robinson, Russell Crowe ...

They've not had much of a positive impact have they, lets be honest. People knowing who we are won't pay the players wages.

It really makes no difference in practice.

John Cleese, Tony Robinson, Russell Crowe ...

They've not had much of a positive impact have they, lets be honest. People knowing who we are won't pay the players wages.

Not sure anybody would come to look at russell crowes club but hundreds of thousands came to bristol to the banksy exhibition. tourists visit bristol because of its art and banksy spin offs are sold everywhere how many tourists come to look at ashton gate non matchday?

so if he really was a fan he would help out in some way like 3d of massive attack has.

Not sure anybody would come to look at russell crowes club but hundreds of thousands came to bristol to the banksy exhibition. tourists visit bristol because of its art and banksy spin offs are sold everywhere how many tourists come to look at ashton gate non matchday?

so if he really was a fan he would help out in some way like 3d of massive attack has.

I'm not sure I'm understanding this. Are you suggesting any of this has had a serious material (cash) effect on the club?

A doubt it.

Forgive me - but how has 3D helped club out?

See him at Games and a true supporter and all that....but cant recall anything he has done for the club or the Ashton vale fight....then again could say same about Jonathan Pearce or the ex FA main dude...(cant remember name)

See him at Games and a true supporter and all that....but cant recall anything he has done for the club or the Ashton vale fight....then again could say same about Jonathan Pearce or the ex FA main dude...(cant remember name)

designs stuff for city in the past always pointing out his affection for bristol and bristol city.

I'm not sure I'm understanding this. Are you suggesting any of this has had a serious material (cash) effect on the club?

A doubt it.

are you suggesting that just one real banksy city piece wouldnt have a value of £££££ one was Sold in park street for £38000 then you have t shirts prints look at st nicks park street let alone the possibilties in BS3.

are you suggesting that just one real banksy city piece wouldnt have a value of £££££ one was Sold in park street for £38000 then you have t shirts prints look at st nicks park street let alone the possibilties in BS3.

That may all be true, but I doubt SL is getting at all excited about reducing the clubs debt.

I'm not convinced that, so far, it will have made any difference at all - for any of the above celebs.

Do people now actually wonder around the country just to see a painting done by him ?

Yes they do, as they think they might be spotted by the Points West cameras queueing around the corner at the top of Park Street.

99.9% of them haven't been to an Art Gallery since.

Do people now actually wonder around the country just to see a painting done by him ?

Very much so.

Bristol is widely known for Brunel, Massive Attack/Portishead/Tricky & Banksy not Bristol City FC sadly.

Bristol has a Banksy ecomomy along with other artist it is worth hundreds of thousands of pounds a year maybe a lot more.

Old Barton Hill lads will know the answer to red or not.

Used to sponsor at least one match a season. Not sure if he still does, though.

Considering all the opportunities there are to make anti capatalist works about football or pro or anti vale pieces why is there no city work by the man?

Seems like this is just a myth made up by city fans if you had his skill and reputation wouldnt you use it to create a bit of a buzz around your club just once?

Imagine the publicity for city if one morning banksy had stencil bombed the hell out of BS3 with city pieces about our club? City would instantly have a bit of the cool of st pauli.

Reckon he could be less of a a red than russell crowe is.

He's probably too busy rolling around in big piles of money these days to be anti-capatalist.

And here it is .....

2003_0103pics0003.jpg

The bloke who did this for the Eastend would have known Banksy years ago at the Barton Hill Dug out.

It just as easy to buy copies of Banksy work in Bristol than it is to buy things Man Utd related, it can be hard to find anything Bristol City at all. If Banksy is a fan (which i think he is) lets hope one day he does a couple of things featuring City to change that and get City better known abroad as well.

Interview he gave The Sunday Times in 2009... I took this to be sarcasm and therefore confirming that he's a red.

Banksy goes home to shake-up Bristol

Elusive graffiti artist talks on eve of largest project to date, inflitrating the Bristol collections (with permission)

By Waldemar Januszczak

The Sunday Times | June 14, 2009

(....snip....)

Who do you support: Bristol City or Rovers?

I want the whole of Bristol to visit the show, so I'm not going to alienate anybody by saying what a pathetic footballing side Bristol Rovers are.

Archived