IGNORED

Today

Nibor

Not a happy day. 433 yet again proved shite, when will people learn? Yes it worked in the second half away against a shit side already one down, but predictably we had no width and consequently no supply today. Pitman wide left? Come on, that's ridiculous, he was totally wasted there and we had nothing down the left in the first half. We can't keep switching systems on a whim, it's why we get so many passes to thin air. Disappointingly we waited until the second goal confirmed this obvious error before we changed anything. That was a worse mistake, it should have been changed at half time and there was no reason to suspect it would improve otherwise.

Defending was very concerning for both goals, we really looked panicked. Clarkson was awful and looks like he will need to score in the first five minutes of every game in order to have any sort of confidence. His touch is appalling. Leeds were a pretty good side who moved the ball well and were strong and hard working closing us down a lot. They were not anywhere near as good Swansea for the quality of football but in typical fashion they made up for it with niggling, shirtlifting and fouling.

There were some positives. We had five or six good chances to score that could have seen us win handily on another day. Nicky Maynard's return was excellent to see and he didn't look like he was hugely rusty either. Adomah caused problems when he came on and Woolford looks a decent footballer. I thought Cisse had a pretty good game too.

We didn't look like relegation candidates today, the commitment was there and in brief moments there was some ability too. We need better organisation and to pick players in their correct positions, try and get some consistency.

Final note: Very disappointing to see the number of tickets the club had sold to Leeds fans in the home stands. It's bloody easy to prevent that from happening and there is little excuse for it. Perhaps the only thing more disappointing was the number of cock ends more interested in one of them getting thrown out than in the game.

Not a happy day. 433 yet again proved shite, when will people learn? Yes it worked in the second half away against a shit side already one down, but predictably we had no width and consequently no supply today. Pitman wide left? Come on, that's ridiculous, he was totally wasted there and we had nothing down the left in the first half. We can't keep switching systems on a whim, it's why we get so many passes to thin air. Disappointingly we waited until the second goal confirmed this obvious error before we changed anything. That was a worse mistake, it should have been changed at half time and there was no reason to suspect it would improve otherwise.

Defending was very concerning for both goals, we really looked panicked. Clarkson was awful and looks like he will need to score in the first five minutes of every game in order to have any sort of confidence. His touch is appalling. Leeds were a pretty good side who moved the ball well and were strong and hard working closing us down a lot. They were not anywhere near as good Swansea for the quality of football but in typical fashion they made up for it with niggling, shirtlifting and fouling.

There were some positives. We had five or six good chances to score that could have seen us win handily on another day. Nicky Maynard's return was excellent to see and he didn't look like he was hugely rusty either. Adomah caused problems when he came on and Woolford looks a decent footballer. I thought Cisse had a pretty good game too.

We didn't look like relegation candidates today, the commitment was there and in brief moments there was some ability too. We need better organisation and to pick players in their correct positions, try and get some consistency.

Final note: Very disappointing to see the number of tickets the club had sold to Leeds fans in the home end. It's bloody easy to prevent that from happening and there is little excuse for it. Perhaps the only thing more disappointing was the number of cock ends more interested in one of them getting thrown out than in the game.

Finally a balanced post...

To add to Clarkson, I personally though Woolford had a shocker. Will be reserving judgement for sure, but his first touch was particularly suspect today. He looked pretty tidy at dribbling and taking players on, but his passing was off today, The guy didnt score 8 in one of the worst sides in the division out of luck...

Millen needs to stick to a plan, work "hard" at it and only it. get that right and we can change small things when we have a basis to fall back on... 4-4-2.

Final note: Very disappointing to see the number of tickets the club had sold to Leeds fans in the home stands. It's bloody easy to prevent that from happening and there is little excuse for it. Perhaps the only thing more disappointing was the number of cock ends more interested in one of them getting thrown out than in the game.

That's the key phrase for me. Leeds didn't posses any players who were any better than what we have. What they were was very well organised with everyone knowing their own role and a good understanding between them.

Unfortunately City for the umpteenth time this season resembled a bunch of strangers. I really think Keith needs to decide what his best playing side is and what style we're going to play. We've just seen too many combinations throughout the team this season.

For me Maynard must start next game, Cisse must stick in midfield and Caulker and Fontaine are the strongest pairing at the back.

As for Woolford pretty disappointing, but it's early days and I think he'll come good.

so your starting eleven would of been?

Clarkson has many faults but to say his touch is appalling is very harsh. I agree he didn't have the best game and could not impose himself like he did last week. Woolford wasn't great either although he improved in the latter stages. It's all a bit hit and miss at the moment and nobody really knows our strongest side or formation. God alone knows who we'll play against Leicester on Friday.

so your starting eleven would of been?

It would have been James, Carey, Caulker, Fontaine, McAllister, Adomah, Cisse, Elliot, Woolford, Keogh, Pitman in a 442.

Nobody out of position, strongest defence we have, attacking wingers balanced by aggressive midfield.

If we were overly concerned about the opposition we could have played Johnson instead of Pitman, he usually does better with two people alongside him.

It would have been James, Carey, Caulker, Fontaine, McAllister, Adomah, Cisse, Elliot, Woolford, Keogh, Pitman in a 442.

Nobody out of position, strongest defence we have, attacking wingers balanced by aggressive midfield.

If we were overly concerned about the opposition we could have played Johnson instead of Pitman, he usually does better with two people alongside him.

that line up struggled against Preston

just to edit - Clarkson played instead of Pitman at Preston but I dont think it would of made much difference to how we played 1st half up there

Ok I just asked you who you'd have picked on another thread but as you've already said it here I'll comment now. How can you drop Clarkson after scoring twice and being the best player on the pitch?! That would've been absurd.

A very disjointed team.

A team of defenders and a team of attackers

Really? I don't think of Elliott or Cisse as defensive really. Elliott breaks up play right from the front and spends a lot of time beyond the ball. Cisse can pass well.

I'd prefer a midfielder that can general the game but we don't have one.

Really? I don't think of Elliott or Cisse as defensive really. Elliott breaks up play right from the front and spends a lot of time beyond the ball. Cisse can pass well.

I'd prefer a midfielder that can general the game but we don't have one.

A midfield two of cisse/marvin/skuse will never work - never has.

Would be very easy to defend against..... just stop our wingers!

The point on organisation is well made. Leeds certainly didn't have better players than us...but they had strength, commitment, structure, confidence. They looked well drilled.

Class, as ever, to fill the ground and offer STs and then turn in half hearted tosh like that.

We'll not go down...fortunately there are worse teams.

I say Millen out at the end of the season. He's had his chance. Just listened to his pitifully incoherent interview on Radio Bristol. The man has very little going for him as a leader.

Today wasn't awful...just very, very weak. Probably the last match this season I can be bothered to make.

Good luck for the rest of the season to those who go to every game. You - and the rather good squad - deserve better.

The idea of the 3 in midfield is that the full backs get forward to provide the width. Do we have the personell for that though? Not so sure...

I guess another way of 4-3-3 would be 3 central midfielders and then two wingers near the striker- and they must track back when out of possession, striker must press the ball when out of possession and so forth. I'm far from convinced that we do this side of the game as well as we could.

A midfield two of cisse/marvin/skuse will never work - never has.

Perhaps you should go look at our results when we've played Elliott and Cisse in the middle with a left winger on the left wing and a right winger on the right wing. I think we've only done it once or twice.

Although we could do with a creative midfielder who can also defend (who couldn't?) there are a few myths about various midfield partnerships that aren't really that solid when you look at them carefully.

I think the importance of having a real left footer wide on the left and the same on the right is very much overlooked.

No. Well done on remembering who played though.

We were playing Leeds at home today, not Preston away.

We were also playing off the back of a 4-0 win not 6 games without a win.

well done for working out who were playing.

point being 442 failed against the worst team in the league. We were 1 up at halftime but very very lucky to be ahead.

Your saying dropping the man who scored 2 goals in that game would of made us much harder to beat using the same formation.

well done for working out who were playing.

point being 442 failed against the worst team in the league. We were 1 up at halftime but very very lucky to be ahead.

Your saying dropping the man who scored 2 goals in that game would of made us much harder to beat using the same formation.

I am happy to take your word for it that Clarkson was ace last week. He was crap today and he has been most of the last two seasons. I don't often base my views on just one game.

433 might have worked for 45 minutes last week when we were already ahead. I've seen it fail lots more times than it has worked for us.

great post as we have become to expect mucker

The only thing i would say is that it is Leeds and a good chance it wont happen again

great post as we have become to expect mucker

The only thing i would say is that it is Leeds and a good chance it wont happen again

Wishful thinking Arn, very wishful thinking.

I have not noticed Nibor openly criticising this management team before now, not that i read all his posts religously but his general theme is one of support. Perhaps it is dawning on more of us, week by week, that as many have said on this thread and dozens of others, Millen is learning his trade with us right now, week in and week out. We are his laboratory. Whether he is a fast or slow learner I am not the expert but what i do know is this; it is not having the consistently desired effects. Manager's from all 4 divisions, I am sure, tinker with their teams and perhaps even put players out of position but all the evidence here at Ashton Gate is that the usual end result of doing that is a defeat either a woeful one or backs to the wall one.

And as one or more posters have said on this thread, it is not the team we have a problem with other than the fact they blow hot and cold and are not regularly motivated. That much is abundantly clear and if so why do we need a manager at all because it seems they turn it on when they feel like it. They will get us over the line to safety this season and it will not make a blind bit of difference what Millen instills into them. In fact, he would be better off just picking the team, making sure they are fit and let them motivate themselves. Could hardly be any worse.

SL will sit this one out, i am reasonably sure of that because he probably knows the team is good enough to keep us up fairly comfortably, grab their Championship bonus or contract extension and then wait and see who the new gaffer will be in the summer. Millen is NOT the future of this club of that I am now certain and thats the first time i have come out and said it in black and white. We can win the next 5 and i will still say the same thing.

So sit back, relax and 'enjoy' the rest of the season. We'll be just about fine.

Wishful thinking Arn, very wishful thinking.

I have not noticed Nibor openly criticising this management team before now, not that i read all his posts religously but his general theme is one of support. Perhaps it is dawning on more of us, week by week, that as many have said on this thread and dozens of others, Millen is learning his trade with us right now, week in and week out. We are his laboratory. Whether he is a fast or slow learner I am not the expert but what i do know is this; it is not having the consistently desired effects. Manager's from all 4 divisions, I am sure, tinker with their teams and perhaps even put players out of position but all the evidence here at Ashton Gate is that the usual end result of doing that is a defeat either a woeful one or backs to the wall one.

And as one or more posters have said on this thread, it is not the team we have a problem with other than the fact they blow hot and cold and are not regularly motivated. That much is abundantly clear and if so why do we need a manager at all because it seems they turn it on when they feel like it. They will get us over the line to safety this season and it will not make a blind bit of difference what Millen instills into them. In fact, he would be better off just picking the team, making sure they are fit and let them motivate themselves. Could hardly be any worse.

SL will sit this one out, i am reasonably sure of that because he probably knows the team is good enough to keep us up fairly comfortably, grab their Championship bonus or contract extension and then wait and see who the new gaffer will be in the summer. Millen is NOT the future of this club of that I am now certain and thats the first time i have come out and said it in black and white. We can win the next 5 and i will still say the same thing.

So sit back, relax and 'enjoy' the rest of the season. We'll be just about fine.

Top post fella , wouldnt of expected anything else and dont dissagree with any of that

One thing,people said we were crying out for a left sided player to add balance to the team,we then buy one and promptly play him on the right,I've been supportive of millen so far but have got to question his thinking on this.

Asymmetrical winger I guess- get opposing full back on wrong foot, give him some more to think about and then enables (attacking) full backs to get more space to join the attack. It's a tactical ploy increasingly seen at higher levels.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2010/mar/24/the-question-inside-out-wingers

Archived