IGNORED

Sort Of City Related

Esmond Million's Bung

I am in France, Britanny at the moment and thought I would take in a match so I went to Lorient to buy 2 tickets for next weeks game Lorient v Bordeaux.

The last time I saw a game at Lorient the ground had 1 modern end and 1 modern side with corporate boxes, the other side was ok but the other end was an awful sight. Last season they built another end and I must say the design is awesome and incorporates loads of solar heating panels. I haven't found out yet whether they are used solely to heat water and some lighting at the stadium but I did notice that there was a display that gave an indication of the amount of power generated so far that day and the amount that was being sold to French electricity grid.

I have never seen this at a UK ground and wondered how viable this is not only practically, financially but also for our green credentials to help our cause against the village greeners.

On a separate note Lorient are a mid table 1st division (top French league) the tickets were 24 euros each and for extra 1 euro I also got tickets to the next home game.

That name sounds a bit like a side that won 4-1 today they must be very good.

That name sounds a bit like a side that won 4-1 today they must be very good.

Well they certainly have one of the best coaches and talent spotters in Europe if not the World in Christian Gourcuff, the father of the French midfielder. He bought Koscielny for 1.8million euros and a year later sold him to Arsenal for 10million, they also have a striker called Kevin Gamiero signed for nothing and subject to 10million bids from a host of clubs including Arsenal, he also did the same with a guy called Gignac sold to Toulouse 2 years ago for 5million (having cost nought) sold in the summer by Toulouse to Marseille for 17.5million.

Well they certainly have one of the best coaches and talent spotters in Europe if not the World in Christian Gourcuff, the father of the French midfielder. He bought Koscielny for 1.8million euros and a year later sold him to Arsenal for 10million, they also have a striker called Kevin Gamiero signed for nothing and subject to 10million bids from a host of clubs including Arsenal, he also did the same with a guy called Gignac sold to Toulouse 2 years ago for 5million (having cost nought) sold in the summer by Toulouse to Marseille for 17.5million.

Dont get me started on our scouting network,now look what you've done i'm off to get a cider from the fridge.

Dont get me started on our scouting network,now look what you've done i'm off to get a cider from the fridge.

At every level of the French game you will find young hungry Africans (no pun intended) most of the best Africans playing in world football started their careers in France and the French clubs earn big money selling them. Rennes for instance sold John Utaka to Portsmouth for 8.5million, Johnny Mensah (who is on loan to Sunderland) was sold to Lyon for 8.5million and Asamoah Gyan recently went to Sunderland for 10million all young Africans who learned their trade at Rennes.

I actually went to a French 2nd division game Vannes v Nantes, Nantes are going through tough times but historically probably the 2nd most successful team in French history. Half the players were African I would say and Vannes had 3 who really stood out, 2 forwards and a defender, the defender is one to watch he certainly won't play at this level much longer that's for sure.

We are surrounded by wind farms, hydro electric plants and recently a huge solar farm here in the south. I've often wondered why football clubs don't make use of all that roof space.

I often pay 12 euros to watch Toulouse and the wife gets in for a euro. So exensive in England, I think I paid 38 quid at Ipswich in August, rip off.

Archived