IGNORED

Away Goals

reddevon

Can someone please enlighten me. It may be obvious but I can't see it!

A number of times tonight on SSN and BBC News, they have mentioned a valuable away goal for Bayern Munich

and they mentioned it after the Spurs Champions League result. last week.

Under what , second leg, circumstances does an away 0 - 1 victory benefit a team?

I've pondered this often and don't see it!

Mind you I'm due a visit to Spectsavers!

I guess they just mean it might be easier not lose = win / draw at home rather than away and therefore giving you an advantage if you have won the first leg away.

Meaning with winning 1:0 away at Inter Bayern would be through with "just" a 0:0 or 1:1 in the second leg at home.

Of course there's no mathematical benefit.

Thanks DC - I uderstand where you are coming from but I am sure that ,.by the way its reported, they appear to infer that its something to do with the Away goals rule.

They don't just call it a valuable " away win" they specifically say an "away goal".

I'm sure thay just read whats in front of them!

I was thinking of writing to Andy Gray as I've only noticed the female presenters saying it!:whistle2:

Thanks DC - I uderstand where you are coming from but I am sure that ,.by the way its reported, they appear to infer that its something to do with the Away goals rule.

They don't just call it a valuable " away win" they specifically say an "away goal".

I'm sure thay just read whats in front of them!

I was thinking of writing to Andy Gray as I've only noticed the female presenters saying it!:whistle2:

Of course there's the "away goal rule" which says an away goal counts "better" than a home goal if you have a draw, but it does not make sense with the Bayern Munich example here :

They won 1:0 away.

If they draw 0:0 or 1:1 in the second leg at home they will of course go through as they would be up 1:0 or 2:1 in total - but when they lose 1:2 Inter would be through on away goals - it would be 2:2 in total but Inter scoring one away goal more than Munich would be through...

That's why it's nonsense calling it an important goal in this case...

My thoughts exactly1 (I shall now go and listen with bated breath for the next repeat of the result!)

If it makes it easier for you - German TV commentators did exactly the same - talking about the all important away goal and I also thought to myself "what the heck is this idiot talking about"... ? :)

An easier way of looking at it is.

If scores are level after the second leg, then any away goals you have scored count as double.

So if you lose 3-2 away then win 1-0 at home you go through on away goals.

I gues reddevon's point was just that what the commentators said was rubbish that way... :)

But thanks anyway !

A pointless rule that ruins football games in my opinion. However I believe it is an impotant away goal because if it is 0-0 in the first leg, then the away team scores in the second leg it means that the home team have to score twice because they didn't get that important away goal. In reality it means in 90% of games the home teams are edgy and look intent on not conceding and away teams because they are away also are defensive. So games are negative.

Compare 2 leg play off games to knock out euro games and I know which ones provide more entertainment in my opinion.

Archived