IGNORED

Disturbances In The Supporters Bar In The Dolman Stand At Half Time?

Never to the dark side

/

Knowle West, Hartcliffe tough places that's South Bristol, or are you thinking of Ashton & Southville?, Nobody's thinking there hard i think its your arrogance.

The people pretending to be hard are there for all to see. It's school playground stuff.

I grew up in Knowle, went to school with some of the finest from Hartcliffe, Withywood and Knowle, played for several teams in and around knowle west, drank in the pubs and still have plenty of mates around there though the pubs are long gone.

They aren't really very tough places. A bit depressed, yes, and they have a drugs problem. Not much tough about them. Travel a bit, spend some time in London or Belfast or Glasgow, or even further afield and you'll see what I mean.

Just like Cashley Cole waving a gun around then really.

Waving a gun around in dressing room yes somebody can especially when someone so dopey as him who apparently didn't realise it was loaded you can get hurt , jump up and cheer and goal in the A block of the Dolmain City-Leeds you are defiantly going to get hurt.

Waving a gun around in dressing room yes somebody can especially when someone so dopey as him who apparently didn't realise it was loaded you can get hurt , jump up and cheer and goal in the A block of the Dolmain City-Leeds you are defiantly going to get hurt.

Sad really and even sadder that people think it's funny, big and hard. i've been to quite a few matches in France including local derbies and opposing fans sit next to each other and apart from normal banter there is no trouble, the fans mix together drink and eat together, there is a fraction of the numbers of police on duty in fact at one game I went to there only 2 cops on duty and they were directing traffic.

The world would be a great place if there was no unfairness, come on Nibor, and on stupidity if that idiot didn't jump up we would not be discussing this.

Agree on both points but you can't dismiss the reaction either, that was unfair and stupid too. As was selling Leeds fans tickets in home ends.

All of it needs sorting out properly.

At the end of the day do you really think it's ok for violence to break out over someone celebrating a goal in what is supposed to be a ******* game?

It can be (and has been before) a competitive sport with an intense atmosphere and lots of passion without that.

I can kind of see both see both sides.

On one level, violence is not a good thing and as Nibor and EMB point out can give police an excuse to put further restrictions on the bulk of football fans. On the other hand though, a realist standpoint means this thing is likely at football- it has been for some time regardless of the rights of wrongs of the matter. If I stood up in an away ground home end and made my presence known I know it wouldn't be a wise move.

Agree on both points but you can't dismiss the reaction either, that was unfair and stupid too. As was selling Leeds fans tickets in home ends.

All of it needs sorting out properly.

At the end of the day do you really think it's ok for violence to break out over someone celebrating a goal in what is supposed to be a ******* game?

It can be (and has been before) a competitive sport with an intense atmosphere and lots of passion without that.

Football and violence has always been about and will always be around no fighting at Rugby (apart from on the pitch), no fighting at Cricket, if you ever think football can be a game where no trouble arises between rival fans you are better of watching Bristol rugby club. Nobody deserves to be punched by cowards and fall down stone steps but it's life unfortunetley.

I think the moral of the story is 'do the crime do the time'. If it's 'only a slap' then those who dished it out will have no problem explaining that fact to the Police.

Anyway, Maybe the Police were just having a chat and didn't see it as a crime in the first place?

Wake me up when you go, go. :sign09:

Football and violence has always been about and will always be around no fighting at Rugby (apart from on the pitch), no fighting at Cricket, if you ever think football can be a game where no trouble arises between rival fans you are better of watching Bristol rugby club. Nobody deserves to be punched by cowards and fall down stone steps but it's life unfortunetley.

I don't think it has always been about at all, I think it was extremely uncommon before the 70s (no more or less than at gatherings of any other type) and if you want to see how football can happen without trouble between rival fans you could take in a Merseyside derby. Extremely passionate crowd with an intense atmosphere yet blue and red shirts able to mix. Rugby I've watched on occasion, it's not a game I care much about.

I don't think it has always been about at all, I think it was extremely uncommon before the 70s (no more or less than at gatherings of any other type) and if you want to see how football can happen without trouble between rival fans you could take in a Merseyside derby. Extremely passionate crowd with an intense atmosphere yet blue and red shirts able to mix. Rugby I've watched on occasion, it's not a game I care much about.

Uncommon before the 1970s???!!!!......Glasgow Rangers v Glasgow Celtic 1909 - in which 6,000 people participated in a riot - the pitch was destroyed and many parts of the stadium badly damaged by fire.....

When the referee blew the final whistle, a number of players remained on the pitch as if in expectation of extra time. Encouraged by this, many of the spectators also stood their ground. A rumour spread around the terraces that the result had been pre-arranged to secure a third lucrative pay day. The players were invited to leave the pitch and when the uprooting of corner flags by a groundsman made clear there would be no further play, the crowd spilled on to the pitch.They appeared to be on their way to the dressing rooms with the intention of persuading the teams to come out again. The police barred their way, and the players quietly left the stadium.

The spectators then turned their wrath on the constabulary, and a full-scale riot was soon in progress. Wooden barricading torn from the terracing was set alight on the track around the playing area. Hundreds of fans spilled onto the pitch and took their anger out by tearing down the goals, cutting up the turf and setting fire to the pay-boxes and stand, using whisky as fuel. Some of the rioters tore up and down the pitch with a roller. The fire brigade was summoned when pay boxes were set ablaze and police reinforcements arrived from all over the city. The rioters slashed the hoses of the firemen and abused and obstructed ambulance men.

Arrests proved almost impossible, with the police constantly having to rescue isolated and endangered colleagues. Knives, stones, bottles and fragments of wood were used as weapons. More than 100 people were hurt during the rioting, many of them police and firemen; it was reported that fifty-four policemen had been injured.

Even when the fans were finally forced from the ground, they continued to attack the police outside, and set about breaking windows in nearby houses and smashing street lamps. The riot went on for two hours or more, and damage was estimated at £800.

Source: http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/Scottish+Cup+Riot+1909

Uncommon before the 1970s???!!!!......Glasgow Rangers v Glasgow Celtic 1909 - in which 6,000 people participated in a riot - the pitch was destroyed and many parts of the stadium badly damaged by fire.....

When the referee blew the final whistle, a number of players remained on the pitch as if in expectation of extra time. Encouraged by this, many of the spectators also stood their ground. A rumour spread around the terraces that the result had been pre-arranged to secure a third lucrative pay day. The players were invited to leave the pitch and when the uprooting of corner flags by a groundsman made clear there would be no further play, the crowd spilled on to the pitch.They appeared to be on their way to the dressing rooms with the intention of persuading the teams to come out again. The police barred their way, and the players quietly left the stadium.

The spectators then turned their wrath on the constabulary, and a full-scale riot was soon in progress. Wooden barricading torn from the terracing was set alight on the track around the playing area. Hundreds of fans spilled onto the pitch and took their anger out by tearing down the goals, cutting up the turf and setting fire to the pay-boxes and stand, using whisky as fuel. Some of the rioters tore up and down the pitch with a roller. The fire brigade was summoned when pay boxes were set ablaze and police reinforcements arrived from all over the city. The rioters slashed the hoses of the firemen and abused and obstructed ambulance men.

Arrests proved almost impossible, with the police constantly having to rescue isolated and endangered colleagues. Knives, stones, bottles and fragments of wood were used as weapons. More than 100 people were hurt during the rioting, many of them police and firemen; it was reported that fifty-four policemen had been injured.

Even when the fans were finally forced from the ground, they continued to attack the police outside, and set about breaking windows in nearby houses and smashing street lamps. The riot went on for two hours or more, and damage was estimated at £800.

Source: http://www.theceltic...h+Cup+Riot+1909

Could that have been linked to extreme religious tensions which I imagine existed in Glasgow at the time though- extreme religious tensions which didn't apply in most mainland UK cities at the time? Hence I'm not sure it's representative. Take your point though, pretty sure Millwall had various incidences of trouble pre WW2.

http://www.sirc.org/...l_violence.html

More broadly, this may be a generalisation but it seems to crop up during times of economic strife. 1970s- when things started to turn. Up until mid 1980s- economy improved at about that point. 1990s and most of 2000s- happy economic times and less football violence.

Trouble did happen back in the sixties with city as the club had gangs of skinheads back then. Difference was till the seventies there were no away fans regularly and as soon as they started arriving in the seventies the park end was segregated within years.

crowd trouble shouldn't happen full stop,

The idiots who say "he deserved it" or "its only a slap" are whats wrong with football,

If anything they should be thrown out of the ground,

A mate of mine two years ago only got "A slap" in the city centre for chatting to the wrong girl he fell back hit his head and died,

That could of easly happened against leeds and would would of probbally suffered greatly for it,

Etherway yes he shouldn't of been in the home end but he shouldn't of been attacked the police are doing the right thing and I hope the people who only gave him a "slap" are found and charged

No place in football for that full stop

Some of the comments on here are truly cringeworthy.

There is no excuse for assault. The end.

It's a crime, and if you do it, be prepared to face the consequences.

The thing that makes me laugh is all the "big hard men" who got a jab in - half of them would have probably shat their rear end out of their pants in a one-on-one situation, but thought it was acceptable because they were in a crowd and knew they had zero chance of retribution.

The Leeds fan was stupid. Stupidity isn't a crime. Assault is.

Anyone who the club can identify in this incident should be banned from Ashton Gate, as it's exactly the sort of "support" the club doesn't need. People like this drag the reputation of the club I love into the gutter.

Stupidity isn't a crime. Assault is.

If a "stupid" fan attacks one of our stewards and tries to pick a fight with everyone around him, is that not an offence of some sort too?

While we're on the subject, when City fans or stewards are being beaten up by away fans who have been sold tickets by the club for the home section, are they allowed to swear?

If a "stupid" fan attacks one of our stewards and tries to pick a fight with everyone around him, is that not an offence of some sort too?

Yes. Anyone involved in violence at football should be subject to the same consequences that would face them were they not in a football ground.

Last time I checked the laws in a football stadium were much the same as in the road/pub/shop/field outside. Unfortunately some of our "supporters" blessed with lower counts of brain matter seem to think that the confines of a football stadium make them invincible to civil decency and law.

Violence in sport is probably as old as civilization.In the 6th century,rivalry between supporters of the blue and green chariot teams in Constantinople,led to 30,000 deaths in one week.The game of football has long been associated with violence and medieval games involved hundreds of people and were essentially pitched battles between rival villages.Only two periods in British history have been relatiely free of football related violence,the inter war years and the years following the second world war.In a nut shell football is and always will be tribal,as is man him self.Remember watching a Desmond Morris documentary years ago,which concluded the same.Every country in the world is just a collection of different tribes and where as in the past this would lead to wars in the modern world it semms to manifest its self in sports,and not just football either,rugby league has its problems and in the USA there have been several large scale riots[see you tube].So some one from the Leeds tribe entered the home of the City tribe,they were attacked,not really suprising,and the Leeds fans probably expected a reaction and got one.If they had not entered the home end this thread would not exist,they have only got them selves to blame.

Violence in sport is probably as old as civilization.In the 6th century,rivalry between supporters of the blue and green chariot teams in Constantinople,led to 30,000 deaths in one week.The game of football has long been associated with violence and medieval games involved hundreds of people and were essentially pitched battles between rival villages.Only two periods in British history have been relatiely free of football related violence,the inter war years and the years following the second world war.In a nut shell football is and always will be tribal,as is man him self.Remember watching a Desmond Morris documentary years ago,which concluded the same.Every country in the world is just a collection of different tribes and where as in the past this would lead to wars in the modern world it semms to manifest its self in sports,and not just football either,rugby league has its problems and in the USA there have been several large scale riots[see you tube].So some one from the Leeds tribe entered the home of the City tribe,they were attacked,not really suprising,and the Leeds fans probably expected a reaction and got one.If they had not entered the home end this thread would not exist,they have only got them selves to blame.

This is true, there is a lot of evidence of a very tribal element who follow sport- football being a very notable example. On the other hand though, as others have pointed out the law does apply in football stadia so both views are right basically. Though on the latter point, I have sometimes wondered given some of the chants which occur at football stadia that would almost certainly result in arrest if carried out in the street to an individual.

Some of the comments on here are truly cringeworthy.

There is no excuse for assault. The end.

It's a crime, and if you do it, be prepared to face the consequences.

The thing that makes me laugh is all the "big hard men" who got a jab in - half of them would have probably shat their rear end out of their pants in a one-on-one situation, but thought it was acceptable because they were in a crowd and knew they had zero chance of retribution.

The Leeds fan was stupid. Stupidity isn't a crime. Assault is.

Anyone who the club can identify in this incident should be banned from Ashton Gate, as it's exactly the sort of "support" the club doesn't need. People like this drag the reputation of the club I love into the gutter.

Spot on.

Archived