IGNORED

Coppell

Bourne End Red

Hi all, know some of you dont want to hear about coppell as hes gone and that was in the past.

However found out some interesting stuff today that i was interested to know.

My boss at work is a big Reading fan and was watching his young lad playing football at some event. He said also there was Brian Mcdermott the Reading manager.

My boss said he was chatting with Mcdermott about Reading etc when the topic turned to Coppell. My boss knows im a big city fan and asked him what happened with Coppell at city.

He said that Mcdermott stated he is very good friends with Coppell and apparently worked with him at Reading.

The interesting bit....

He stated that the reason Coppell left was that he couldnt stand the chairman, apparently he interfered too much, he signed DJ when coppell didnt want him.

He also stated that Coppell misses the game and will definitely come back as a manager but not until june as has some agreement with SL that he wont until then.

I found all this quite interesting and adds up, just thought id share what he told me.

I think it is well known why Coppell left, it's because his heart was never in the job and this has nothing to do with David James either.

Steve Lansdown became aware of David James desire to play football close to where he lived at a decent standard, he asked Coppell if he would be interested in signing someone of that calibre, Coppell said yes, Lansdown made the call, James was interested, he passed that onto Coppell and Coppell signed him.

What continues to go around and around is the bit about Lansdown signed James when it is not true, if Coppell didn't want James he would not have signed James. Steve Coppell if you missed it, decided to go on holiday for 2 months instead of getting stuck into the job, he never really wanted it and should never had taken it.

I suggest what you heard is just a rehash of the London medias take on it, never had the facts to begin with but ran their own version.

Hi all, know some of you dont want to hear about coppell as hes gone and that was in the past.

However found out some interesting stuff today that i was interested to know.

My boss at work is a big Reading fan and was watching his young lad playing football at some event. He said also there was Brian Mcdermott the Reading manager.

My boss said he was chatting with Mcdermott about Reading etc when the topic turned to Coppell. My boss knows im a big city fan and asked him what happened with Coppell at city.

He said that Mcdermott stated he is very good friends with Coppell and apparently worked with him at Reading.

The interesting bit....

He stated that the reason Coppell left was that he couldnt stand the chairman, apparently he interfered too much, he signed DJ when coppell didnt want him.

He also stated that Coppell misses the game and will definitely come back as a manager but not until june as has some agreement with SL that he wont until then.

I found all this quite interesting and adds up, just thought id share what he told me.

If true...it wouldn't suprise me. I always thought there was something fishy going on, with a big cover up. The fact that SL said SC left with his blessing and his best wishes always puzzled me. Surely if someone left you in the shit, you'd be spitting feathers? And i always wondered why the press never got their teeth into it...the story just went dead.

Its already been stated several times by David James himself that it was Coppell who rang him to ask him if he would come and play for us.

Yes it has!!

It doesn't matter anymore, well certainly not to me. Nevertheless who would want Coppell knowing he can melt down and run away, I wouldn't.

Here you go

David James has revealed he was drunk when he was first contacted by Bristol City over the summer.

"Somehow it all converged at a single point, the morning after my stag do.

"I received a phone call from an unknown number. I don't usually answer those, but I was still drunk and so I picked it up.

"Much to my astonishment the man on the other end was Steve Coppell. He said, 'All right Dave, I'm the Bristol City manager, and was wondering if you'd be interested in having a look at the club?'

"If it had been anyone else, I would not have considered it, but such was my respect for Steve that Bristol City became a serious contender."

Plus James is hardly gonna say it was the chairman that wanted me, the manager didnt and they didnt get on and thats why he left.

A lot better for all parties to make it all amicable etc and not make the club look bad.

For the record im glad he aint in charge anymore and am totally behind SL and all he does.

I just found it interesting and probably so do other city fans.

I don't buy it for a minute. It sounds like Coppell's recovering after a few months on the medication, and thinking he might want to get back into football, and trying to find a way of going back on what he said at the time. It was the Chairman's fault, not mine, would be a very convenient line to sell.

And I should bloody well hope that SL has made sure that he's got to wait at least a year: he walked out on a contract with us and normally anyone doing that and ending up at another club = big compensation. I'm still convinced that Coppell would have liked the Palace job, made enough noises to sound out SLs reaction, and when he realised that there would be one he recognised that it wasn't going to happen.

Archived