IGNORED

Colin Sexstone And Keith Millen

Lack of Action Man

I'm not calling for Millen to go. Far from it, infact (apart from Stewart dropping to the bench), Millen made exactly the same decisions I would've made.

What I'm asking though is when Colin Sexstone becomes chairman, what sort of relationship these two will have. Will Sexstone have the patience like Lansdown?

Or will the side have to deliver next season or tough decisions will have to be made?

Could be an interesting season coming up.

I think the main difference next season will be a tightening of our finances. As long as we are not in immediate danger of going down then I don't think a change will be made. However Im only speculating.

I agree on the finances. Does this mean we could expect to see a mass exodus of players leaving this summer for little in return?

I'm not calling for Millen to go. Far from it, infact (apart from Stewart dropping to the bench), Millen made exactly the same decisions I would've made.

What I'm asking though is when Colin Sexstone becomes chairman, what sort of relationship these two will have. Will Sexstone have the patience like Lansdown?

Or will the side have to deliver next season or tough decisions will have to be made?

Could be an interesting season coming up.

Would of took the West Ham boy of at half time, the lad gave his all i will not slate him like some people have already, but Riberio on at half time, we were always losing this game why not bring Riberio on and say i trust you, or is he still not match fit?

Nothing much will change. The important matters ( signing players) will still go through to Steve Landsdown, after all he's the one who provides the money.

I'd agree with this. If we were thinking about getting a new manager in I think it will still ultimately be Steve's decision, not Colin's.

I'd agree with this. If we were thinking about getting a new manager in I think it will still ultimately be Steve's decision, not Colin's.

Agreed. Nothing has changed in that respect.

Colin Sexstone may now be the Chairman, but SL will continue to have the last word regarding the manager.

Indeed Sexstone is a token chairman, major decisions will go through lansdown, but day to day running of club will be by Colin and the new board members

Spot on Donald, who can blame SL for what he has done ? I admire him for being honest enough to admit he got some decisions wrong as Chairman. It is time for him to take a back seat and leave the day to day management of the club to CS, who will do an excellent job.

BUT, as you say, money talks and SL will be there in the background for all the big financial decisions and as he said himself last week, I am sure his main focus is on delivering the new stadium - which will be his legacy to our club.

Personally I think that the combination of SL taking a more "hands off" role, CS running the show and (I am convinced) Milly and Wiggles still in charge of the football management next season (after a good sort out of the squad this summer) will set us up nicely for promotion at the end of next season.

If (as I believe they will) BCC kick out the TVG stuff for AV over the coming weeks,then we can all look forward to the future.

Indeed Sexstone is a token chairman, major decisions will go through lansdown, but day to day running of club will be by Colin and the new board members

Colin won't be a token chairman. SL will do this properly and behave how he would expect an investor in one of his businesses to behave. It'll basically be a normal business relationship between a chairman and the board and a major invester.

That means SL will expect to be consulted on major decisions but not to make them, after all if he wanted to do that why hand over?

His recourse would be to replace the board if he ever disagreed so strongly but given the working relationships it is very unlikely that sort of contention will happen.

When the board want him to fund a signing or a new idea they will have to present a proper business case for it, that will make them target more carefully where they spend money and become more cost conscious.

Colin won't be a token chairman. SL will do this properly and behave how he would expect an investor in one of his businesses to behave. It'll basically be a normal business relationship between a chairman and the board and a major invester.

That means SL will expect to be consulted on major decisions but not to make them, after all if he wanted to do that why hand over?

His recourse would be to replace the board if he ever disagreed so strongly but given the working relationships it is very unlikely that sort of contention will happen.

When the board want him to fund a signing or a new idea they will have to present a proper business case for it, that will make them target more carefully where they spend money and become more cost conscious.

So this season was Lansdown last gamble?, Over to you do better than me?

So this season was Lansdown last gamble?, Over to you do better than me?

I think it's more that last season was the last of frivolous excess.

SL won't expect the club to run in the black until the stadium is online but I doubt he will sanction the kind of panic spending we saw when GJ was loaning in a new lump up front every week. The wage bill will get reduced by moving on more than half a dozen players in the summer and rebalancing the squad so we're not over staffed in some areas and woefully under staffed in others.

We'll probably contine to use loans from the Prem and I expect we will still pay out a significant amount in transfer fees, but it will be for players aged 19-26 not 27-35, and they will mainly be players coming up from lower leagues than having been hanging around at this level a while.

Overall I am more comfortable with that even if it means a slower build towards a promotion challenge because it seems much more sustainable to me.

SL won't expect the club to run in the black until the stadium is online but I doubt he will sanction the kind of panic spending we saw when GJ was loaning in a new lump up front every week. The wage bill will get reduced by moving on more than half a dozen players in the summer and rebalancing the squad so we're not over staffed in some areas and woefully under staffed in others.

We'll probably contine to use loans from the Prem and I expect we will still pay out a significant amount in transfer fees, but it will be for players aged 19-26 not 27-35, and they will mainly be players coming up from lower leagues than having been hanging around at this level a while.

Overall I am more comfortable with that even if it means a slower build towards a promotion challenge because it seems much more sustainable to me.

Agree, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Off up the road Cheltenham today fellow reds get on Cue Card 5/2, will be near evens just before the race

I work for a government enterprise. We get a fixed budget each year and if we need more money then the CEO and board need to come up with a pretty solid business plan before they go begging with cap in hand to the relevant people to get the extra money. That plan is then scrutinised by said people to ensure there is a good case for the extra expenditure.

With SL as chairman and massive fan he was heavily involved in creating those business plans with each of the 3 recent managers which then creates a problem as he is hardly going to turn down his own investment cases and being a big supporter also helps to blinker you to the bigger picture. Now he has taken a step back from the footballing side and no longer involved in buying the players directly he can look at the case in front of him for extra money and objectively decide if it really does help the football club and his investment.

No money is free money though, the more that gets put in the more the debit increases on the football club and whilst its not a bank load its a personal loan from SL that at some point needs to be repaid.

I work for a government enterprise. We get a fixed budget each year and if we need more money then the CEO and board need to come up with a pretty solid business plan before they go begging with cap in hand to the relevant people to get the extra money. That plan is then scrutinised by said people to ensure there is a good case for the extra expenditure.

With SL as chairman and massive fan he was heavily involved in creating those business plans with each of the 3 recent managers which then creates a problem as he is hardly going to turn down his own investment cases and being a big supporter also helps to blinker you to the bigger picture. Now he has taken a step back from the footballing side and no longer involved in buying the players directly he can look at the case in front of him for extra money and objectively decide if it really does help the football club and his investment.

No money is free money though, the more that gets put in the more the debit increases on the football club and whilst its not a bank loan its a personal loan from SL that at some point needs to be repaid.

CS an KM will have to decide the players they need to take the club forward then go to SL for the money and he will decide. The same goes for replacing KM as sacking a manager and hiring a new one is not a cheap endeavor (hence Rovers remaining manger-less) so again CS will need to get approval from SL for the extra expenditure needed.

sorry for double but couldn't edit/delete the old one.

Hours after the tragic game and I still feel rubbish.

Oh come on, get a grip. We've lost one match after winning four in a row. Everyone has a bad day every now and then, and when your back four consists of two centre halves who are not fully fit, a centre half playing at left back, and an inexperienced loanee right back, then its hardly surprising. We did well to be still holding them in the 89th minute.

If that turns out to be the strategy then I'll be delighted. Let's hope we have sensible approaches like that at Board level.

What I've never understood is what precisely this season was intended to achieve. Initially Coppell appeared to have been appointed...and to be spending...to mount a push for the play offs in the very near future. And Lansdown stated he'd be doing that with a smaller squad...was it 24 players?

Then the squad grew....so presumably the smaller squad idea was ditched...

Then Coppell left...so obviously he wasn't the man to take the club forward...

Then we appointed a rookie manager with no track record to speak of...so talk of play offs was presumably ditched around the Board table...

Then we spend a season battling relegation with our best player being a Prem loanee and no replacements in the left back and central midfield roles we can all see need filling.

IMHO this season has been a bit of a disaster. I'd love to understand the thinking behind the decisions that have got us where we are today...

Archived