IGNORED

Before You All Get A Bit Carried Away

Jordan Tansley

We conceded an early Pen. This meant our game plan was thrown out of the window and we had to chase the game rather than try keep hold of the ball a little more.

Norwich are more than likely going to get promoted to the Premier League, They are a better side than us. The fact that Lansbury is on the bench for them says just how much better they are.

We conceded two in the last minute. Without a couple of mistakes at the end of the game we would have got a(n underserved) draw.

No team in the championship plays well every game, Why anyone expects us to I have no idea.

I am as upset as the rest of you, Conceding late and playing badly is annoying... But lets not act like this is a result that came out of the blue or anything like that.

We've gone on a good run of form where we've beaten very good teams, We've avoided relegation and we've shown that the team has a decent core that can develop next season.... So shh?

We were awful - but I didn't expect anything from this game TBH.

There was a chasm of quality between us. We are a lower half of the table side and they have always looked Top 6.

As soon as Lansbury came on, I knew he'd score against us. Our only hope at that stage was a sniper in the stands!!! *PS: JOKE*

I agree with the OP that it needn't be too significant a result all things considered. Not sure many of the remaining games will be very significant either ....:tumbleweed:

We conceded an early Pen. This meant our game plan was thrown out of the window and we had to chase the game rather than try keep hold of the ball a little more.

Norwich are more than likely going to get promoted to the Premier League, They are a better side than us. The fact that Lansbury is on the bench for them says just how much better they are.

We conceded two in the last minute. Without a couple of mistakes at the end of the game we would have got a(n underserved) draw.

No team in the championship plays well every game, Why anyone expects us to I have no idea.

I am as upset as the rest of you, Conceding late and playing badly is annoying... But lets not act like this is a result that came out of the blue or anything like that.

We've gone on a good run of form where we've beaten very good teams, We've avoided relegation and we've shown that the team has a decent core that can develop next season.... So shh?

All very true however, I and few others are finding difficult to understand the set up of the defence. I for one would love to know exactly what instructions were given to Nyatanga, because he was never once in the the left full position, Woolford appeared to be playing full back in the first half, when he brought on JCR and Pitman, again it appeared to me as if he was expecting Pitman to play as a wing back, JCR played in the middle of midfield, i'm sorry I don't get it.

Very good post

as you rightly say we have avoided relegation (or as good as avoided relegation) and given the season we have had that had to be the primary goal.

Even after our recent run of wins I would have viewed a point against a team like Norwich at Carrow Rd as an excellent result. Norwich were the best team and deserved to win.

All very true however, I and few others are finding difficult to understand the set up of the defence. I for one would love to know exactly what instructions were given to Nyatanga, because he was never once in the the left full position, Woolford appeared to be playing full back in the first half, when he brought on JCR and Pitman, again it appeared to me as if he was expecting Pitman to play as a wing back, JCR played in the middle of midfield, i'm sorry I don't get it.

I think we just had an off night and buckled under the pressure of Norwich. We simply dropped far too deep which meant that Woolford was completely non-existant going forward. Agree that Nyatanga was out of position at times but I'd imagine that was more due to him reacting badly to the pressure rather then Millen's instructions. Pitman was clearly supposed to be on the left-wing but due to the intense pressure and how deep we'd dropped was just dragged into our own half.

good post, I thought JCR looked quite good surprisingly. We know this team needs a revamp - lets wait until the summer and regroup - this season is a write off but we're pretty much safe now so relax.

There is a lot of truth in your post imho. But i'm confused by your statement about 'No team in the Championship, plays well everygame'...

Yes, we have gained some points recently, but when was the last time we played well? A few one off's, this season and that's it.

It was only four seasons ago that we were almost in Norwich's position. And playing as well as them. How low our expectations have become. And how easily the fans are drawn into excepting this.

If we had hung on for a point tonight, would you have said we had played well? Not a dig...just interested.

I did not think we were awful - we created a number of chances and while it was certainly a backs against the wall display we could and perhaps should have come away with a point. At 1-1 there was the chance to snatch a win and Norwich certainly had the odd scare at the back. Our back 4 were hugely committed but we lacked the creativity that norwich had in midfield.

I think we just had an off night and buckled under the pressure of Norwich. We simply dropped far too deep which meant that Woolford was completely non-existant going forward. Agree that Nyatanga was out of position at times but I'd imagine that was more due to him reacting badly to the pressure rather then Millen's instructions. Pitman was clearly supposed to be on the left-wing but due to the intense pressure and how deep we'd dropped was just dragged into our own half.

Nyatanga was out of position all night, he played more like a centre back, Pitman on the left wing FFS, OK Albert looked dangerous up front but Pitman is a striker he ain't a left winger.

Nyatanga was out of position all night, he played more like a centre back, Pitman on the left wing FFS, OK Albert looked dangerous up front but Pitman is a striker he ain't a left winger.

I know he isn't a left winger I'm just saying that was clearly supposed to be on the left side in an attacvking role but due to how deep we were he barely got out of his own half. He's been used on the left side of a three pronged attack with some success of late so that will have been Millen's thinking but of course we rarely got to see him going forward with the ball.

There is a lot of truth in your post imho. But i'm confused by your statement about 'No team in the Championship, plays well everygame'...

Yes, we have gained some points recently, but when was the last time we played well? A few one off's, this season and that's it.

It was only four seasons ago that we were almost in Norwich's position. And playing as well as them. How low our expectations have become. And how easily the fans are drawn into excepting this.

If we had hung on for a point tonight, would you have said we had played well? Not a dig...just interested.

Had we hung on and not made those two mistakes then I'd have said we defended well yes. Fontaine and Caulker both made a few last ditch blocks along with some good keeping from DJ. To stop Norwich from scoring in open play would have been a fantastic effort would you not agree?

I would have said we were lucky considering the posession and play Norwich had, But they created very little to be fair. Three mistakes cost us the goals. Fine lines and all that.

Regardless of the set up or personnel the defence has been a shambles for 3 years. The opposition has to do very little to score (all 3 goals tonight involved players simply walking through the defence, a frequent event for us). We will be ok next year if Keith recognises the need for an overhaul, though I fear it will be much the same suspects Willing to bet Carey and McAllister will remain automatic choices for instance. Unless of course to be regarded as positive you have to pretend the defence is hunky dory. And yes Keith did try to be too clever again tonight with what seemed to be a return to the failed wing back system, a habit I thought he had got out of.:disapointed2se:

Had we hung on and not made those two mistakes then I'd have said we defended well yes. Fontaine and Caulker both made a few last ditch blocks along with some good keeping from DJ. To stop Norwich from scoring in open play would have been a fantastic effort would you not agree?

I would have said we were lucky considering the posession and play Norwich had, But they created very little to be fair. Three mistakes cost us the goals. Fine lines and all that.

Stopping any side from scoring in open play in this league, is an achievement, and should be applauded. However, if KM continues to play the tactics he is adopting, it will catch up with us, like it did tonight. You cannot, defend and soak up pressure every game, and expect to score on the counter attack every game. It might work sometimes, but tonight, regardless of the Penalty, I think he got his tactics wrong against Norwich tonight. You cannot concede 65% of posession and not expect to be knackered by the end of the game. No wonder we conceeded late.

Anyway...We'll probably play the same way on Saturday and win, and all will be rosey in the land City again.

Stopping any side from scoring in open play in this league, is an achievement, and should be applauded. However, if KM continues to play the tactics he is adopting, it will catch up with us, like it did tonight. You cannot, defend and soak up pressure every game, and expect to score on the counter attack every game. It might work sometimes, but tonight, regardless of the Penalty, I think he got his tactics wrong against Norwich tonight. You cannot concede 65% of posession and not expect to be knackered by the end of the game. No wonder we conceeded late.

Anyway...We'll probably play the same way on Saturday and win, and all will be rosey in the land City again.

I suppose you have to look at our squad to see the reason we play this way. We have pace up front and on the wing areas and we have an abundance of battling midfielders, So our strengths are in turning the ball over in midfield and hitting teams on the break.

Away from home it's probably the best way to play to get decent results, Proven by the fact that we've done pretty well away from AG this season. Next season hopefully we will add a few players who will add a couple more dimensions to our squad.

I don't think you can downplay the importance of that early penalty, Conceding that early is always going to alter the way the team can execute the game plan, Had we held on to 0-0 for half an hour we might have had more opportunities to keep the ball and play it wide quicker... It's all specualtion of course, but I think that early first goal had a big bearing on our performance.

What I will say is, Norwich had 65% of the possession, but they didn't create an abundance of chances, So we weren't soaking up the pressure for 90 minutes as you put it.

I suppose you have to look at our squad to see the reason we play this way. We have pace up front and on the wing areas and we have an abundance of battling midfielders, So our strengths are in turning the ball over in midfield and hitting teams on the break.

Away from home it's probably the best way to play to get decent results, Proven by the fact that we've done pretty well away from AG this season. Next season hopefully we will add a few players who will add a couple more dimensions to our squad.

I don't think you can downplay the importance of that early penalty, Conceding that early is always going to alter the way the team can execute the game plan, Had we held on to 0-0 for half an hour we might have had more opportunities to keep the ball and play it wide quicker... It's all specualtion of course, but I think that early first goal had a big bearing on our performance.

What I will say is, Norwich had 65% of the possession, but they didn't create an abundance of chances, So we weren't soaking up the pressure for 90 minutes as you put it.

sign Gradel,Howson, Naughton, Sol campbell ,Betrand job done win the league 2011/2012 job donefarmer.gif

Did nobody else notice that Norwich actually played really well? They followed up an early goal with closing down absolutely all over the pitch giving us no time at all, they were dangerous down both flanks and they had a real line leader in Holt and a proper passing midfielder in Hoolahan.

We were down three starters, we had a loanee youngster playing RB and a centre half playing left back, and even without the injuries we'd still be three or four players short of where Norwich's first XI were.

Our recent run of wins has come against bottom half sides with the exception of mid table Watford and if you were expecting anything other than a very difficult evening when we were away at a top four side you weren't being realistic.

We were beaten by a better team with better players.

To think we could have had Grant Holt all them years ago as well !!

We saw today a team we desire to be like who have come up from the league below us. The key factor tonight was several players were shown up to not been good enough to make the next step up or compete with the best in this league.

We need to reflect on tonight's game positively and look towards bringing in the quality we need for a good 2011 - 2012 season.

Norwich are a good team make no doubt about it.

Did nobody else notice that Norwich actually played really well? They followed up an early goal with closing down absolutely all over the pitch giving us no time at all, they were dangerous down both flanks and they had a real line leader in Holt and a proper passing midfielder in Hoolahan.

We were down three starters, we had a loanee youngster playing RB and a centre half playing left back, and even without the injuries we'd still be three or four players short of where Norwich's first XI were.

Our recent run of wins has come against bottom half sides with the exception of mid table Watford and if you were expecting anything other than a very difficult evening when we were away at a top four side you weren't being realistic.

We were beaten by a better team with better players.

To think we could have had Grant Holt all them years ago as well !!

We saw today a team we desire to be like who have come up from the league below us. The key factor tonight was several players were shown up to not been good enough to make the next step up or compete with the best in this league.

We need to reflect on tonight's game positively and look towards bringing in the quality we need for a good 2011 - 2012 season.

Norwich are a good team make no doubt about it.

Both spot on, plus the OP. Won't wash with certain people though, most of whom were probably seriously thinking we could get in the playoffs.

Archived