IGNORED

Ribs In Midfield

extonsred

Several people on this site have over the past 12 months suggested Ribs for midfield and now I think is the time to give this a go. He is one of our few players who has the skill to run with the ball at his feet and beat opponents rather than hurriedly give it away. In addition our midfield needs creativity and I would love to see Spence with Ribs just in front of him and Adomah next one along. Feel this could free Marv and Cisse to do what they are good at as well giving them more space and time in which to do it.

Ribiero isn't a full back imo and if he's going to make it long term as a footballer then he needs to become more versatile imo. He's got quick feet, has a liking for getting forward and is no slouch. Wide right would be the obvious development. Whether he could handle the hurly-burly of Championship midfields is another question and probably one that Millen won't risk answering by playing him there.

From what I've seen of him he definately lacks positional awareness and as a full back thats a major flaw. With the right coaching and encouragement I reckon he could at least be given the opportunity to become a midfielder.

I've been thinknig this for a long while now. He's a good passer, a good dribbler, a good tackler and seems to have a good footballing brain. His tracking back as full back is his weakness and I really think that all this combined puts central midfield as an ideal position for him moving forward. Would love to see it...he'd be like the anti-Bradley Orr!

Really think this is a good move....may help with the issue we have of closing opposing players down, which is but one area that saw us lose last night.

Who would you bring on after 20 minutes when he goes off injured, then?

I can't see this one at all, Ribeiro's successful games for us have been as a spare man on the right of a back three (he's been pretty poor when played as a right back, in truth) so why does that suddenly make an injury prone central defender a likely candidate for our midfield?

I think we have a big decision to make with him in the summer, not whether we try to make a midfielder out of him (we won't) but whether we can afford to persevere with someone with such a poor availability record.

I can see the logic as he does seem to be good going forward.

This season Everton have been playing their young right back Seamus Coleman on the right wing to give him first team experience in a position where defensive frailties are less exposed. He seems to be a similar player to Riberio in many ways.

The more pertinent issue with Riberio, as Graham states, is his availability record. He can't gain the experience necessary to play any position at first team level if he can't string more than a few consecutive games together, no matter how good he is. I'd certainly persevere with him this summer as I doubt his wages are that high and the talent does seem to be there. Even if it's just a one year contract I think it'd be worth it just to see how he gets on for another year.

I love this forum. Everyone moans about players being played out of position, and then someone suggests playing Ribeiro in midfield and everyone thinks it is a cracking idea. Stroll on!

So you don't think Ribeiro has the attributes to play as a midfielder?

I love this forum. Everyone moans about players being played out of position, and then someone suggests playing Ribeiro in midfield and everyone thinks it is a cracking idea. Stroll on!

I love this forum too, many posters willing to moan about the views of others just for the hell of it. No-one's suggesting merely playing Ribs in midfield. People are advocating him actually retraining in that role, which seems better suited. Quite different to playing Cisse in the centre of defence, Pitman on the left wing or Nyatanga/Fontaine at left back where they clearly aren't comfortable.... Stroll on!

Different subsets of everyone I imagine you'll find.

I've neither complained about players being played out of position, nor thought Ribeiro in midfield was anything other than a plausible suggestion worthy of some discussion.

good god no,

He's played international under 21 international under 19 international all at right back and centre back as well as club level and through our youth team I don't think all those coachs are wrong,

He's a ok right back but I think he's a better Central defender like Carey,

Should never be anywhere near a midfield as his ball retention isn't goodenough,

Thats bye the bye thos as he can only play 2 games before he's out for 2 months with a knock

Yes, I suggested this a while back and think it could work. It's clear that the team need a creative midfielder and since SL is looking to be more astute in player wheeling and dealing then this ought to be the start of that process as it might save a fortune in the transfer market if it comes off. RIbs has a lot of time and skill on the ball and can go past players and he must have basic defensive skills (as all midfielders need) as he's played in defence all his professional career. I'd say get another five or six points and then give him a run in the attacking midfield position alongside either Elliot or Cisse. The big question though is whether his body can stand up to the rigors of professional football whatever position he plays in. I sincerely hope he can play a sustained run of games before the end of the season in midfield (or a wide midfield position in the absence of Albert or woolford), show his qualities and get an extended contract. He's wasted as a defender and it doesn't look like his natural position which might be why he has picked up injuries. Positional changes do come off sometimes, I think it was Chris Sutton who was a competent but 'nothing special' centre half who was switched to centre forward and win international caps. Dion dublin is another and Kevin Philips started as a right back and switched to become a 30 goal a season striker. It's certainly worth trying at the back end of the season where there is no risk of either relegation or of reaching the play-offs.

So you are saying you would have Ribs, Adomah, Cisse and Elliott in midfield, cus that dont make sense to me, we have been crying out for a left sided player for ages and now we have one in Woolford you would play one of our holding midfielders out of position on the left to accomodate Ribs ? Or are you thinking of putting Albert on the left wing or having a five man midfield with Ribs playing in the Clarkson roll ?

Try him on the right wing..Thats where he started off as a lad.. He would be a handful for any fullback ....many good wingers make good fullbacks and vice-versa.

I would even try him at Left Back....he can use both feet and there are few out and out right wingers in the Championship who actually hug the line and dont come inside the full back.

Try him on the right wing..Thats where he started off as a lad.. He would be a handful for any fullback ....many good wingers make good fullbacks and vice-versa.

I would even try him at Left Back....he can use both feet and there are few out and out right wingers in the Championship who actually hug the line and dont come inside the full back.

when did he ever play on the right wing??

Several people on this site have over the past 12 months suggested Ribs for midfield and now I think is the time to give this a go. He is one of our few players who has the skill to run with the ball at his feet and beat opponents rather than hurriedly give it away. In addition our midfield needs creativity and I would love to see Spence with Ribs just in front of him and Adomah next one along. Feel this could free Marv and Cisse to do what they are good at as well giving them more space and time in which to do it.

Get fit, play ten games.

So you are saying you would have Ribs, Adomah, Cisse and Elliott in midfield, cus that dont make sense to me, we have been crying out for a left sided player for ages and now we have one in Woolford you would play one of our holding midfielders out of position on the left to accomodate Ribs ? Or are you thinking of putting Albert on the left wing or having a five man midfield with Ribs playing in the Clarkson roll ?

I wouldn't play ribs on the left , once we get to 50 points I'd try put him in for Elliot and see how he faired or put adomah instead of clarky behind maynard and Ribs on the right.

I wouldn't play ribs on the left , once we get to 50 points I'd try put him in for Elliot and see how he faired or put adomah instead of clarky behind maynard and Ribs on the right.

Secretary speaking, i think Ribs with love five games at RB, but him left then in midfield yes he is quality and if he gets his body right he would be happy to play five game at RB, you are all mad too ask otherwise.

Secretary speaking, i think Ribs with love five games at RB, but him left then in midfield yes he is quality and if he gets his body right he would be happy to play five game at RB, you are all mad too ask otherwise.

Cider speaking ?

Can't think of too many of our defenders who've successfully moved forward into m/f, Rob Newman was tried there a few times and John McPhail once v Brentford which was a disaster. Mostly players move back rather than forward.

Ribeiro is under contract for next season, apparently.

If he stays fit (the biggest if, based on this season) I think he'll get more chances to play in the back four before long seeing as Fontaine, Carey and McAllister are all injured, or in LF's case, about to have an operation.

Then it will be up to him, but this talk of making him into a midfielder is never going to happen.

I think he would make a great right wing back, and in doing so you could play adomah in a free role behind the striker/s much like tabaraat for qpr . But do we really need to change the whole system for a player who is just good with the ball to feet ? Now is the time to play him we have nine games for him to show us what he's all about !

Hopefully, he can stay fit next season, and be given a chance. A combination of injuries and Johnsons bizarre attitude to youth development have certainly set him back quite a bit. Not sure of his best position, but I think the thing he needs most is first team games - He will make mistakes, but hopefully learn from them and develop.

Archived