IGNORED

Chelsea

beaverface

Not too sure if anybody is really interested in this, but last night I went to watch my first ever Champions League game at Stamford Bridge last night and a few things stood out for me.

The atmosphere from 36,000 fans was terrible, however the Copenhagen fans were brilliant, didn't stop chanting and bouncing all game. The home fans were not inspiring in the slightest - only sang about two different songs all night and only pockets of fans joined in.

I think the biggest problem they have is a lot of foreign fans watching the game who have no concept of football songs or any inclination to join in ( I didn't sing either as I find it hard to get emotionally attached to any other side except City)

One thing that was apparent to me also was how crap it is to be housed in two tiered stands. I was in the lower part of the Matthew Harding stand and you feel completely detached from the rest of the ground - please City, don't ever go for those type of stands behind the goals!!

Overall, I know we don't have much success, but when City are doing well it's absolutely brilliant to be a City fan and is so much better (but that might just be me being biased)

Not too sure if anybody is really interested in this, but last night I went to watch my first ever Champions League game at Stamford Bridge last night and a few things stood out for me.

The atmosphere from 36,000 fans was terrible, however the Copenhagen fans were brilliant, didn't stop chanting and bouncing all game. The home fans were not inspiring in the slightest - only sang about two different songs all night and only pockets of fans joined in.

I think the biggest problem they have is a lot of foreign fans watching the game who have no concept of football songs or any inclination to join in ( I didn't sing either as I find it hard to get emotionally attached to any other side except City)

One thing that was apparent to me also was how crap it is to be housed in two tiered stands. I was in the lower part of the Matthew Harding stand and you feel completely detached from the rest of the ground - please City, don't ever go for those type of stands behind the goals!!

Overall, I know we don't have much success, but when City are doing well it's absolutely brilliant to be a City fan and is so much better (but that might just be me being biased)

The sort of people who watch the so-called top sides are not fans any more, they are consumers/customers. This time next year they could have abandoned Chelsea and will be watching Spurs, if Spurs continue to do well in Europe.

Last time i went to stamford bridge there were loads of japenese & chinese tourists watching (and spending a fortune in the shop)! Atmosphere was poor.

The previous time i sat in the shed end next to the away fans & the atmosphere was great. i guess it is down to where you sit.

Saw a bit of the game and thought the Chelsea fans were quiet, but to be fair:

1. It's Copenhagen, not Barcelona

2. They were 2-0 up from the first leg

3. The Copenhagen fans were right up for it, and would've drowned them out anyway

How many times have we been down the good and just can't get excited about a game, and the away fans have given us stick?

Thought their fans were immense, and as someone else pointed out, when they started giving the Chelsea fans stick in English I thought that was brilliant! Will be a much better atmosphere for their QF game, whoever it's against

I think the European atmosphere in most games I watch is pretty poor to be fair, maybe Chelsea and United fans don't get excited until the QF's anymore, all a bit same old, same old for them?

Not that I care anyway, like you said - wouldn't swap City for the world!

Without sounding contrite, I watch a lot of football abroad, and the atmosphere at most grounds, is far noisier and more intense.

It's a mixture of different culture and what you are allowed to do inside the grounds.

You can drink inside a lot of them, and stand without being told to sit. Banners and flags are never a problem, neither are drums. Many fans and Ultra's are also choreographed.

Clubs in this country want people sat down watching, but complain when there is no atmosphere.

Funnily, most countries in Europe don't have a drunken mob culture on the streets at night, but they let their hair down at the grounds, whereas it's the opposite here. I don't mean violence, but drunken fun.

Archived