IGNORED

Dj

simonwheeler

Not taking anything away from an excellent performance yesterday, but, did anyone else notice that mid way through the second half yesterday David J threw the ball out to Lewin Nyatanga who looked totally unaware that the ball was heading in his direction and was quickly dispossessed and put us in trouble? After the Burnley attack came to nothing (like all of theirs yesterday) Keith M could clearly be seen instructing James to keep hold of the ball and presumably run the clock down?

After James then hoofed it up field, he came marching out of his area to direct a strongly shouted total tirade of what appeared to be abuse in the direction of the bench and presumably KM. This abuse was also added with a couple of finger points??? In the front of the Williams a couple of "F's" could clearly be heard (NOTE for the stewards - one rule for one and one rule for us the paying punters), but, what it really made me think was just how much respect does DJ have for the management team and at times does the "lets put my caps on the table and then you can put YOUR caps on the table" scenario rise above the surface???

Must admit as a Manager myself, if one of mine had given me the verbal volley that James appeared to direct in the managements direction yesterday, then the first thing that I would have been doing at the end was inviting said goalkeeper into my office for a little "chat" and to just remind him that just exactly WHO the manager is and what will not be accepted????

No one player should ever be bigger than the club / management, even if they do have 53 England caps.

I mentioned this in another thread.

Km told DJ to kick it upfield instead of throwing out to Nyatanga. DJ's response was about keeping the ball and pocession and running down the clock. Then there was a tirade of abuse, of which 'Arsehole' was shouted loudly. As well as other profanities.

Tbh...I can see what DJ was thinking, but it was a suicide ball to Nyatanga and put him straight under pressure.

What worries me, is the fact a player, regardless of his achievments, can respond to the manager in the way he did. Another player would be bollocked for sure.

DJ, is constantly looking for the throw out to one of our players. He did it a couple of times yesterday. However, most times he pulls up, shrugs his shoulders in frustration, and berates a few for not looking up or making themselves available.

Now shouldn't this all be sorted out in Training?

• Admin

Bear in mind that DJ spent the last few years playing with 2 speedy attack minded fullbacks at Pompey and now plsmays with Nyatanga & Spence? I'm not surprised he finds it frustrating but he has to respect the management still.

I didn't see the game yesterday but I'm with DJ on this one. Having watched the Norwich game it was contantly kicking out by James - no one in the air for City to win the 50-50 ball - norwich winning the Ball then again attacking with it - time & time again.

Surely passing the ball to your defender means keeping possession - all good sides to this - keeping the ball on the deck, passing it out of defence - schoolboys are taught this aren't they? Hoofing the ball in the air means you've lost possession straight away.

This can only mean;-

1) Millen doesn't want this approach while we're bottom half.

2) More worryingly Millen doesn't want this at all.

3) We don't have the players to pass the ball out of defence / they don't have the confidence.

This is down to coaching / training.

I didn't see the game yesterday but I'm with DJ on this one. Having watched the Norwich game it was contantly kicking out by James - no one in the air for City to win the 50-50 ball - norwich winning the Ball then again attacking with it - time & time again.

Surely passing the ball to your defender means keeping possession - all good sides to this - keeping the ball on the deck, passing it out of defence - schoolboys are taught this aren't they? Hoofing the ball in the air means you've lost possession straight away.

This can only mean;-

1) Millen doesn't want this approach while we're bottom half.

2) More worryingly Millen doesn't want this at all.

3) We don't have the players to pass the ball out of defence / they don't have the confidence.

This is down to coaching / training.

Interesting listening to KM post match on Radio Bristol yesterday, he said he was pleased to see us passing the ball out of defence, rather than punting aimless balls forward. That would certainly indicate the punts aren't instructions from the bench, but more the choice of the players involved and something KM is aiming to stamp out.

There's hope for us yet!fingerscrossed.gif

This aspect of DJ's game is not that great, I've noticed on a number of occassions this season players have made themselves available in good positions for him to throw to. More often than not he is not sharp enough to release the ball at the right moment, waves the players up the pitch, gives "its not my fault guv" body language, then punts it up the field.

If he was actually a master of this skill he might have a point!

On the subject of DJ I thought he had a really good game yesterday, after a bit of a 'mare at Norwich. His punching was much better and he generally seemed a lot more more assured.

After watching the game yesterday I would have had no problem with James doing that exact thing with Spence on the right as he clearly has the ability to pass the ball out under a little bit of pressure (did it a few times in the 1st half) but to give the ball to Tangs in that situation is suicide as he looks panicky when under pressure and obviously doesnt trust his own ability to do so. James should be looking for Spence or go long in my opinion.

After watching the game yesterday I would have had no problem with James doing that exact thing with Spence on the right as he clearly has the ability to pass the ball out under a little bit of pressure (did it a few times in the 1st half) but to give the ball to Tangs in that situation is suicide as he looks panicky when under pressure and obviously doesnt trust his own ability to do so. James should be looking for Spence or go long in my opinion.

I thought Nyatanga actually played some some good confident football yesterday.

Firstly, people seem to be presuming KM wont be having a word, never presume! Secondly, im glad James had a go, it shows he cares. Thirdly, the amount of times James has looked to release the ball early to start an attack, only to be confronted by no movement or no willingness to get on the ball is a bit of a concern at times. I also think that sometimes the movement is there, but instead of being side on to the ball( so you can see ball and player), said player runs away with his back to play, which i think happened in the 2nd half with Albert. I understand that some times he does need to slow the play down a bit, especially late on in games when we are under the cosh. At least we can get our shape back and get re organised. I would also add that when he does kick from his hands, very rarely do we win the 1st header( understandable considering our front two maybe!). But if this is all we have to moan about after playing a very good team in Burnley, we cant complain!

Millen has come out recently and said we are playing players in there best positions because there simply not good enough in certain positions !

So I would suggest Millen told James to pass the ball out when there was no pressure but to punt it long the rest of the time. Why? Because our rb and lb are simply not good enough spence learning his trade and Tangs being played out of position.

Personally I wouldn't read anything more in to it than pure simple frustration for both parties .

On a more positive note I liked the way James had a long chat on the field with Jordan Spence after the second goal, presumably offering some constructive coaching!

Can't be bad for a young lad from West Ham to learn from the most experienced player he's likely to encounter.

I kind of like the way James looks to throw it out. But there are times the defenders are making themselves available and he still punts the ball and then waves his arms about afterwards. Half the time it comes across to me as all a bit of show to try to fool the opposition.

I notice he's said a couple of times that he's 'played enough games' to stay next season. It's not clear to me if that means he's triggered a contract clause or he's played enough to be happy to stay himself. I don't recall any annoucement from the club anyhow. Maybe Millen just hasn't been asked the question.

i heard keef hit him in the changing rooms after norwich :dancing6:

Just goes to show he has heart and the balls to question the managers tactics if he doesn't agree thats what any senior pro should do espeacially one with more experance then the entire club put together

So words were exchanged in the heat of the moment, and? Thats competitve sport for you, things get said and sometimes it even gets pysical- but more often than not when you leave the pitch normality resumes and everybody hugs and makes up and it gets forgotten.

Ive had it myself playing football, a lad made a comment I didnt like so I've over-reacted and it's got a bit out of hand, but after the match the lad and I were in the bar with a pint having a laugh about it. It happens week in week out all over the land at all levels of football.

So words were exchanged in the heat of the moment, and? Thats competitve sport for you, things get said and sometimes it even gets pysical- but more often than not when you leave the pitch normality resumes and everybody hugs and makes up and it gets forgotten.

Ive had it myself playing football, a lad made a comment I didnt like so I've over-reacted and it's got a bit out of hand, but after the match the lad and I were in the bar with a pint having a laugh about it. It happens week in week out all over the land at all levels of football.

Agreed with that, tbf, the OP has an anti-James agenda... No need to say any more.

Archived