IGNORED

Jon Stead

bcfcdeano

Loving Maynard and Pitman banging in the goals, but can't wait for Stead to be fit and fighting for a place - IF Maynard does go, we still have quality up front!

I can't see Stead getting back in to the starting 11 unless either Pitman or Maynard are injured/suspended. To start with with him would mean changing systems and I'm sure Millen would be very reluctant to do that.

Loving Maynard and Pitman banging in the goals, but can't wait for Stead to be fit and fighting for a place - IF Maynard does go, we still have quality up front!

well it might be just me, but I would actually prefer Stead in the team to Pitman. I think he would bring out the best in Maynard, and his workrate and enthusiasm is second to none. Also weighs in with his share of goals as well.

I can't see Stead getting back in to the starting 11 unless either Pitman or Maynard are injured/suspended. To start with with him would mean changing systems and I'm sure Millen would be very reluctant to do that.

I would prefer to see Stead than Pitman. Sure Pitman scored plenty of goals but when they played together Stead was provider for most of them If Maynard had that kind of service...........!

It's funny and great to see how Jon has gone from a money grabbing b******, from turning us down in the summer and talking to Blackpool and then joining Ipswich, to a hero. I myself have always rated the guy, right from his start at Huddersfield. Even more so know he is playing for us. He is a class player, hope he gets on the score sheet soon.:dancing2:

We've now seen proof that the partnership of Pitman and Maynard can work, but that doesn't mean it will work in every game against every team. Neither of them is particularly good at holding the ball up and I think we missed Stead against Norwich for example. Johnson wasn't wrong when he talked about having different golf clubs in the bag and Stead will have a very important role to play when a slightly more physical presence is required.

I can't see how we are going to play all three so I think pitman will have to be the man to drop to the bench unluckily for him. I don't think Stead will start today though because we don't have anything to play for and there is no point in risking another injury

Clarkson won't get a look in now that Stead is in contention again.

Stead is better than Pitman, would be very interested to see how Maynard would do with Stead's passes. As to Clarkson, reckon he is far more use in the midfield role, as he was at Motherwell. With the four of them, we have a decent attacking force

Stead is better than Pitman, would be very interested to see how Maynard would do with Stead's passes. As to Clarkson, reckon he is far more use in the midfield role, as he was at Motherwell. With the four of them, we have a decent attacking force

not sure you can really compare stead a man who holds the ball and creates chances and scores with pitman a natural goal scorer who won't have chances if played in midfield. Would love to see how stead and Maynard would play together or maybe play pitman instead of Maynard so that he scores less goals and is less noticed this summerbiggrin.gif

• Admin

I can't see how we are going to play all three so I think pitman will have to be the man to drop to the bench unluckily for him. I don't think Stead will start today though because we don't have anything to play for and there is no point in risking another injury

Clarkson won't get a look in now that Stead is in contention again.

4231?

Stead up top with Maynard, Pitman & Adomah playing off him and a more defensive 2 behind them?

I do think Pitman is a very intelligent player and very quick thinking, but I really do believe that if we keep hold of Nicky in the summer, then Stead & Maynard could form our best strike partnership since Super Bob & Carnage (Bob Taylor & Robbie Turner for the young 'uns!)

Indeed, in my time of watching City in the last 11 years, we haven't had an out and out strike force, that have been top class. We have had the odd striker like Lita who were good but never two at the same time who could compliment each other well. Is an exciting prospect to see Stead and Maynard push us towards greater things.

Indeed, in my time of watching City in the last 11 years, we haven't had an out and out strike force, that have been top class. We have had the odd striker like Lita who were good but never two at the same time who could compliment each other well. Is an exciting prospect to see Stead and Maynard push us towards greater things.

Lita and Brooker?

Indeed that is a good shout over 40 goals between them. However, I think Maynard and Stead on paper could get 50 between them next season with Pitman chipping in a few as well. Feeling quite confident about next season for some reason.

Stead is certainly in my mind a much better overall player than Brooker although they do have similarities, I just hope Stead can stay injury free for a spell next season.

Indeed that is a good shout over 40 goals between them. However, I think Maynard and Stead on paper could get 50 between them next season with Pitman chipping in a few as well. Feeling quite confident about next season for some reason.

Stead is certainly in my mind a much better overall player than Brooker although they do have similarities, I just hope Stead can stay injury free for a spell next season.

Maynard and Stead getting 50 goals between them next season?? Seriously?!

I would love that but I think a realistic (and also difficult) target would be 30 goals in my opinion.

Stead's goal ratio is approx 1 in 4. Roughly 300 games and 70 goals. Maynard's goal ratio is far better. 1 in 2.2. Thats roughly 150 appearences and 68 goals.

Stead has a poor goals per game ratio so isn't likely to get more than 12-15 over a season. Maynard would have to score a whopping 35 goals if they were to reach 50 between them.

Brooker v Stead? Brooker everytime. Much harder to play against, more of bulldozer than Stead and a much better finisher. Brooker when at City was a class act. Shame we injured him.

Maybe I was being a bit unrealistic with 50 but certainly think to match the Lita/Brooker partnership. Brooker was immense for us in 04/05 and some of 05/06 but I feel we were robbed of the best of Brooker through his injury situation. The way we are playing at the moment and run we are on has just come a bit to late. We need a 4th decent out and out striker as I feel another lengthy injury to Maynard would seriously harm any promotion push, we rely on Maynard more than we thought and our recent form shows this.

I know it isn't just because of Maynard but other players like Caulker who has now gone, the re emergence of David Clarkson re-vitalised as such in a new role, Elliott going back towards his best. However Maynard is a huge piece to the Bristol City jigsaw puzzle, think we need 1 more class striker. It may involve a lot of sitting on the bench but if 2 get injured like Stead and Maynard were at one point, we are lacking quality up front. We need a battering ram in the form of an Adebola or a Brooker mould to rough up defenders, let them know they have been in a game.

Future is looking bright for the club though which of course is a good thing in the long run.

We need a battering ram in the form of an Adebola or a Brooker mould to rough up defenders, let them know they have been in a game.

No we do not and I will unhappy if we sign one of them. It'll just see a return to lumping it forward to lose it like 2 season ago. We're much better getting it out wide to Adomah or JCR and fizzing ball across the box for BP, JS and NM to get on the end of.

Archived