IGNORED

Best Attack In The Championship?

chinapig

Sean O'Driscoll was quoted in the Sunday Independent as saying we have the best "front four" (his words) in the Division. No doubt a bit of flattery there but leaving aside the question of whether we (or anybody these days) play a front four it is food for thought as to who has the best attack.

Personally I would think Cardiff have a claim (Burke/Chopra/Bothroyd/Bellamy). Leeds are also strong and score lots of goals, though they tend to play three in attack (Snodgrass/Becchio/Gradel). Swansea rely heavily on Sinclair. My vote might go to Reading (Kebbe/Hunt/Long/McAnnuf).

Beyond that though I cannot think of anyone I would regard as stronger in attack than us. Now if we have as good a defence ...:innocent06:

SoD was quoted a lot as saying that about us after the game - I think he's right, we have a fantastic set of strikers at the club right now. hopefully NM will sign a new deal, imagine if they were all fit and firing......those 7 points we are away from the pray off's right now would've been easy to get if NM had been fit all season

If Maynard stays and Woolford settles in and starts playing to his potential we should be able to field an attacking 4 that is as good as any in the division.

We probably need almost an entire new back 4, though, and a central midfielder with more attacking quality.

Strikers thrive on good quality service, preferably to the strikers strengths. No point for example, lumping high balls up for Maynard or Pitman. Far more productive to use width as Millen has done. Maynards finish on saturday came from a cross as did Pitman's against Burnley. With Albert on one wing and JCR/Woolford on the other its a powerfull front line.

Its not Stead's fault but when he plays there is a tendency to lump the ball upto him. Thats low percentage play and simply crap to watch. Stead is very capable of getting on the end of crosses just as Pitman and Maynard are.

What City need this summer is that elusive creative midfielder and City will be even more of threat going forward.

Sean O'Driscoll was quoted in the Sunday Independent as saying we have the best "front four" (his words) in the Division. No doubt a bit of flattery there but leaving aside the question of whether we (or anybody these days) play a front four it is food for thought as to who has the best attack.

Personally I would think Cardiff have a claim (Burke/Chopra/Bothroyd/Bellamy). Leeds are also strong and score lots of goals, though they tend to play three in attack (Snodgrass/Becchio/Gradel). Swansea rely heavily on Sinclair. My vote might go to Reading (Kebbe/Hunt/Long/McAnnuf).

Beyond that though I cannot think of anyone I would regard as stronger in attack than us. Now if we have as good a defence ...:innocent06:

Norwich ? Watford ?

Norwich ? Watford ?

Norwich of course, at least Holt and Hoolahan, stupid of me. Watford have Danny Graham of course but I wouldn't swap him for Maynard. All this does point out there are a lot of good attacking players in the Championship; though not many good defences I think.

Q.P.R - Mackie, Helguson, Taarabt, Routledge, Ephraim...Agyemang :whistle2:

No, No, Yes, Yes, No... NO

Strikers thrive on good quality service, preferably to the strikers strengths. No point for example, lumping high balls up for Maynard or Pitman. Far more productive to use width as Millen has done. Maynards finish on saturday came from a cross as did Pitman's against Burnley. With Albert on one wing and JCR/Woolford on the other its a powerfull front line.

All true, but certainly on Saturday there was a lot of aimless long-ball to Pitman in particular.

If Maynard stays and Woolford settles in and starts playing to his potential we should be able to field an attacking 4 that is as good as any in the division.

We probably need almost an entire new back 4, though, and a central midfielder with more attacking quality.

woolford still has a lot to proove,have seen nothing yet to say he is better than what we have currently,one thing for sure it has turned JCR into a different player.

maynard-stead would be a cracking pair.

pittmam-stead would be a cracking pair.

maynard-pittman looked good against burnley.

maynard-pittman did not look to clever against donny.

one thing i will say donny played some cracking football first half,if sharp or brooker was playing the score could have been different,far to good to go down in my opinion.

our four strikers will be up there with the best in the division next season,have we the best possibly.

SoD was quoted a lot as saying that about us after the game - I think he's right, we have a fantastic set of strikers at the club right now. hopefully NM will sign a new deal, imagine if they were all fit and firing......those 7 points we are away from the pray off's right now would've been easy to get if NM had been fit all season

Yes we do and for some people's benefit that has a massive amount to do with Keith Millen's signings! Woolford provides fantastic competition for a place on the left, Pitman will be a massive star and John Stead is bloody class.

Fantastic signings along with Caulker and the boy from West ham who started to show a little bit Saturday, excellent...Next season cant come quick enough for me and I haven't given up on this one yet!!

Norwich of course, at least Holt and Hoolahan, stupid of me. Watford have Danny Graham of course but I wouldn't swap him for Maynard. All this does point out there are a lot of good attacking players in the Championship; though not many good defences I think.

Wouldn't swap either but wouldn't mind seeing the two together, being greedy though.

QPR have best defensive record but looked terrible when Watford ripped them to shreds in the live match, don't think Brad played in that match !

Wouldn't swap either but wouldn't mind seeing the two together, being greedy though.

QPR have best defensive record but looked terrible when Watford ripped them to shreds in the live match, don't think Brad played in that match !

Odd isn't it? Sometimes teams run away with the league and you can see they are head and shoulders above the rest but with QPR, Tarabt apart, it doesn't feel that way to me. I suppose they got the impetus and confidence early and just kept it going but i wouldn't say they were an outstanding team somehow.

This must be the most harmonious thread I've seen on the forum this season! Nice to see a discussion conducted in a friendly manner, with nobody rubbishing the opinions of others and above all a focus on the positive qualities in the squad for a change, rather than relentless complaints about our shortcomings.

SoD's comments were reported slightly differently in the Observer, where he was quoted as saying of Maynard "that's what you get when you pay over £2M for a striker" and basically stating that his finish for the goal (along with the absence of Billy Sharp for them) was the difference between the sides. Wouldn't entirely agree with that: I thought we were the better side by some distance in the second half and put them under enough pressure to merit the win, but KM's remark's in the same paper were interesting. He criticised City's first half performance and made reference to "a bit of a rollocking" at half time. He also praised James' contribution and said his saves had been crucial to the eventual outcome. Both managers' comments were measured and honest in their appraisal of their own and the opposition's strengths, which was also refreshing.

Agree entirely with the OP. I've been feelling for a while now that we have some very good attacking players and that on our better days we do look dangerous and likely to score. For once everyone's in agreement and that seems to include KM, who has publicly acknowledged the need for a creative midfielder to bring out the best in the wingers and front players. The defence, though, does need a serious rebuilding job. I can't believe we'll be seeing Caulker here again, more's the pity. A commanding CD and cover at left back are absolutely minimum requirements, along with the aforementioned playmaker. Get all three and I shall start to get excited about the prospects for next season.

This must be the most harmonious thread I've seen on the forum this season! Nice to see a discussion conducted in a friendly manner, with nobody rubbishing the opinions of others and above all a focus on the positive qualities in the squad for a change, rather than relentless complaints about our shortcomings.

SoD's comments were reported slightly differently in the Observer, where he was quoted as saying of Maynard "that's what you get when you pay over £2M for a striker" and basically stating that his finish for the goal (along with the absence of Billy Sharp for them) was the difference between the sides. Wouldn't entirely agree with that: I thought we were the better side by some distance in the second half and put them under enough pressure to merit the win, but KM's remark's in the same paper were interesting. He criticised City's first half performance and made reference to "a bit of a rollocking" at half time. He also praised James' contribution and said his saves had been crucial to the eventual outcome. Both managers' comments were measured and honest in their appraisal of their own and the opposition's strengths, which was also refreshing.

Agree entirely with the OP. I've been feelling for a while now that we have some very good attacking players and that on our better days we do look dangerous and likely to score. For once everyone's in agreement and that seems to include KM, who has publicly acknowledged the need for a creative midfielder to bring out the best in the wingers and front players. The defence, though, does need a serious rebuilding job. I can't believe we'll be seeing Caulker here again, more's the pity. A commanding CD and cover at left back are absolutely minimum requirements, along with the aforementioned playmaker. Get all three and I shall start to get excited about the prospects for next season.

I read the Observer also and that was also quoted in the Sunday Independent. True of course just that his remark about us having the best front four took me aback as it hadn't crossed my mind. We're not the best imo but it took another club's manager to make me realise that our attack is among the best. As to Maynard, there is nobody to touch him in the Championship imo and not a lot outside the top half of the Prem either. Must surely be an England player one day. Playmakers are a dying breed I think (Ozil is being feted in Spain because they see such players as rare now for instance) but a clever link man who keeps possession like Leon Britton would do nicely for me.:fingerscrossed:

Hang on a minute.....

Got me there, Cyril. Fair cop.

Not meant as a moan, though, honestly! On the contrary, just saying we are a few shrewd signings away from being a decent side. Not getting carried away with a good run of results, but I don't think it's over the top to suggest that if KM can manage to tweak the squad in the areas mentioned we could be challenging around the fringes of the play-off places, which would represent satisfactory progress for me.

Think China's right about playmakers, though. Outstanding passing ability and vision are rare commodities. This will be by far the hardest gap to fill - and probably the most expensive. Over to SL...?

Archived