IGNORED

Maynard New Contract

grifty

I'm reminded of holloways valuation of Charlie Adam , he was quoted as saying he's worth 35 million because that's what it would Blackpool if they got relegated ! Not saying maynard is worth that ...cough carrol! ....but that's the sort of money we could be talking about if we were promoted!

It's a hell of a gamble ! Interesting times ahead, if It were me I'd wait until January and except a couple of million downfall in price should promotion not look likely!

Whatever they decide another contract should be the minimum were doing come end of season

What would you expect from your employer if you were Nicky Maynard? His transfer fee and his injury are irrelevant. Insurance may apply for career ending injuries, but surely no club could afford to insure all their players for every injury they pick up? Don't be under any illusion that he would feel obligated to sign on the dotted line because of his recovery. We won't break the bank to keep him, he's a commodity like every other player. If we get £5 miliion for him its good business, and thats what football is nowadays. In the ideal world he'd sign a 5 year deal on £15000 a week and stay, but when he's offered five times that by ****ing Fulham he'll be off. He owes us nothing, as we owe him nothing.

It might be expected, but that shouldn't mean it isn't appreciated to some extent? I'm under any illusions, I just think that his situation is quite rare really, Not many players of his calibre play for clubs like ours and not many come back from injury to a flood of speculation whilst he is coming to the end of his contract... So he might feel he "owes" the club a small extension to ensure he either plays one more year and we still get the fee we deserve for the way his game has progressed here, or he commits long term to us.

I personally think he will give the club another season, unless we accept a silly money bid from a Premier League side...

What would you expect from your employer if you were Nicky Maynard? His transfer fee and his injury are irrelevant. Insurance may apply for career ending injuries, but surely no club could afford to insure all their players for every injury they pick up? Don't be under any illusion that he would feel obligated to sign on the dotted line because of his recovery. We won't break the bank to keep him, he's a commodity like every other player. If we get £5 miliion for him its good business, and thats what football is nowadays. In the ideal world he'd sign a 5 year deal on £15000 a week and stay, but when he's offered five times that by ****ing Fulham he'll be off. He owes us nothing, as we owe him nothing.

my response was more aimed at why someone coming through the ranks would have more of a responsibility to stay. he may be a commodity but at the end of the day it's business and lansdown now'shis stuff if he was to offer him double his wage im sure he will sign 5 mill isnt as good as 6 0r 7 million and lets not even mention of how much of an important part he plays in our team. his current deal cant be to far off £15 k at the moment and there is no way fulham will offer him 5 times that.

Presumably a few posters have overlooked the huge losses made in recent years, maybe missed the new TV contract meaning an income reduction from the 12/13 season, not spotted the recession looming large as the Tories slash jobsand not heard Sextones views on balancing the books. If we pay him a fortune it will create disharmony in the dressing room, as well as putting us horribly close to bankruptcy. Gambling for promotion is a mugs game and rarely works.

Just be realistic, we might get lucky and he signs an extra year with a release clause, but I can't honestly see him staying. I think he has developed as much as he can with us, and if he wants to advance his career he needs to move on. He is now at the age where he has to move upwards, or he'll never get the chance, and if he has England ambitions, he can't wait too long. I don;t think we can wait either, as his value will plummet as his contract runs down. Sorry, it's just being realistic, we are a medium sized Championship Club and can't compete with the Premier League. If we were looking at Western at Brentford, would you expect that player to stay there through loyalty when we offered to treble his wages?

Archived