IGNORED

Km Looking For Lb And Cb...

spudski

...no mention of looking to strengthen our Midfield. :disapointed2se: Apparantly we have players on the bench that give competition to our midfield and can improve us! Who's that then?

He also says he has no intention of playing any of our youngsters, unless they are good enough. He will always put out his strongest team available, regardless of safety...

How's he ever going to know if they are good enough, unless he trys them in a full blooded Championship game?

All quoted in todays EP.

Disappointed by both statements tbh.

I'm not entirely surprised by this.

We do have options in midfield (when/if everyone is fit!) Whilst we would all like to see a top notch creative, goal scoring midfielder, they come at a high price. Could also be argued that in odrer to play with wingers, a team can't afford the luxury of also having that type of player in the middle.

Where as, we are worryingly short in terms in CB and LB options. Credit should go to those that have filled those positions for the majority of this season, but all too often we have been left having to field a makeshift back line.

The club have massive losses to reign in and if limited money is to be spent on transfer fees/wages, i think i would prefer it to go on a quality CB.

IMHO.

...no mention of looking to strengthen our Midfield. :disapointed2se: Apparantly we have players on the bench that give competition to our midfield and can improve us! Who's that then?

He also says he has no intention of playing any of our youngsters, unless they are good enough. He will always put out his strongest team available, regardless of safety...

How's he ever going to know if they are good enough, unless he trys them in a full blooded Championship game?

All quoted in todays EP.

FFS, give the bloke some credit - that isn't quite how I read it

He's come through a car crash of a season in credit, fair shout to the bloke. I agree that now we're safe it would be great to blood one or two players, give them a taste, but we're still playing for money and if we lost every game between now and the end of the season as we had a few kids in there then 99% of people would be calling for his head saying he'd lost the plot

Can't disagree with anything in that article. We do need to strengthen the defence, and IMO we should play the strongest team at all times. Stewart and Nyatanga are looking decent together at the back, why would you drop them. If the kids are going to be good enough, they'll force their way into the team.

Next overreacting prima donna thread please.

I wouldn't take any notice at all of anything written there, though I think you'd have to be pretty unaware not to think that Keith is after 2 defenders this summer, seeing as:

He bid for a left back in the transfer window (Billy Jones) and everyone expects Steven Caulker to go back to Spurs and not return.

A couple of other points, every time I read the articles in the Evening Post I get more depressed by the poor quality of written "journalism" in it and the factual errors and snide comments about City, today's example; Jamie McAllister "is in his mid 30s" whereas he's actually not even 33 until May.

Keith said that he wanted a creative midfielder before and I expect he still does, my guess would be that it will depend on his budget as to whether he is looking at trying to find another Albert Adomah from Barnet or can get a Billy Jones type, i.e, someone who is already Championship proven.

Maybe because he sees them in training and has a good idea of what standard is required?

For instance I reckon he could watch me with a football for about 5 minutes and know I'm not up to it. He wouldn't need to play me in a league match.

Obviously the youngsters will be a lot closer to the standard required than I am, but they're not close enough yet.

He's come through a car crash of a season in credit, fair shout to the bloke. I agree that now we're safe it would be great to blood one or two players, give them a taste, but we're still playing for money and if we lost every game between now and the end of the season as we had a few kids in there then 99% of people would be calling for his head saying he'd lost the plot

I agree but it does seem a little bit strange that he says he would of played the youngsters earlier in the season if it hadnt been for the situation we were in. But now we're safe the siutation we're in wont affect his decision.

Every manager should put out his strongest side in a league game.

If we ever don't go up or go down because some outfit field a team of 17 year olds against our rivals for that position - we would all scream for blood.

I think playing the odd up and coming kid in the team is totally different.

Actually that reminds me of a tee shirt a mate of mine from Manchester had with "You'll never win anything with kids - A Hansen" following Utd's league triumph.

How else can you read his quote then...?

Millen has named academy products Joe Edwards and James Wilson on the bench in recent weeks, but insists he will only throw the youngsters into Championship action if he feels the time is right.

He said: "Someone asked me the other day about giving the kids a chance now and I told them I will always pick the strongest side available to me. I'll give youngsters a chance when I feel it is right and I would have done it earlier in the year had we not been in the situation we were in. If I think they deserve to be in the team then I will pick them, but they have to earn the right. I'm not just going to put them in for the sake of it because we have 54 points and are safe."

If you've got kids on the bench, then surely they are good enough to start?

I agree but it does seem a little bit strange that he says he would of played the youngsters earlier in the season if it hadnt been for the situation we were in. But now we're safe the siutation we're in wont affect his decision.

I think its so we have some momentum running into next season, and maybe he wants to look at the more experienced players so see who he wants to keep and who can go?

How else can you read his quote then...?

Millen has named academy products Joe Edwards and James Wilson on the bench in recent weeks, but insists he will only throw the youngsters into Championship action if he feels the time is right.

He said: "Someone asked me the other day about giving the kids a chance now and I told them I will always pick the strongest side available to me. I'll give youngsters a chance when I feel it is right and I would have done it earlier in the year had we not been in the situation we were in. If I think they deserve to be in the team then I will pick them, but they have to earn the right. I'm not just going to put them in for the sake of it because we have 54 points and are safe."

If you've got kids on the bench, then surely they are good enough to start?

What?!

KM clearly says, as quoted by you, that he will play them when he feels the time is right and they deserve a place in the strongest possible starting 11.

He clearly doesn't quite feel that yet, so due to the depleated numbers of fit players, they have been put on the bench. Note that they are not being bought on just to give them a token appearance.

I have always been largly in favour of trying youngsters out, but I have to say, I think KM is doing things in exactly the right way as far as they are concerned. They should only get the honour of playing for our first team when they merit it.

What?!

KM clearly says, as quoted by you, that he will play them when he feels the time is right and they deserve a place in the strongest possible starting 11.

He clearly doesn't quite feel that yet, so due to the depleated numbers of fit players, they have been put on the bench. Note that they are not being bought on just to give them a token appearance.

I have always been largly in favour of trying youngsters out, but I have to say, I think KM is doing things in exactly the right way as far as they are concerned. They should only get the honour of playing for our first team when they merit it.

But he clearly thinks they are good enough...

As he say's in his quote...'would have done it earlier in the year had we not been in the situation we were in'

It was purely the 'situation' we were in that prevented him from playing them then. The statement seems to contradict itself.

We are not in a 'situation' now, so what's changed? Why not play them now, if he was willing to do it earlier in the season, if the situation allowed.

What?!

Exactly how I would've put it - thank you!

What?!

Agreed, cant afford to "try out" players in Championship games, i'm sorry but its too important, for sure throw them into a 3rd Round FA cup for 20 mins, but KM is the manager and its his ass on the line.

Always play your strongest 11, allways, otherwise you are not taking your job seriously and should be releaved of dutys

splash out the momey on caulker howvever much it costs we can give 1st team every time which spurs may not he might not even be in their 25 next season but whatever we pay we all know what an invetment it will be

Pretty certain someone (maybe Nibor?) said on a thread earlier this week that you can have as many homegrown U21's in your list as you want, on top of your 25 - so that won't affect Caulker

He'll be somewhere like West Brom on loan next season, as much as I'd love to have him back, it ain't gonna happen

Keith said that he wanted a creative midfielder before and I expect he still does, my guess would be that it will depend on his budget as to whether he is looking at trying to find another Albert Adomah from Barnet or can get a Billy Jones type, i.e, someone who is already Championship proven.

KM certainly has stated his desire for a creative midfielder and made a move along those lines for Michael Jacobs of Northampton in January.

The youngster wasn't keen to up sticks mid season but perhaps KM will get a more positive response if he goes back in for him in the Summer.

Certainly more of an Adomah than a Jones type, young with plenty of potential and from the lower leagues, and shouldn't be too expensive.

"I have a good squad with some real quality, certainly in the forward positions. I have good players on the bench who can come on and improve us, but I need that competition throughout the side.

Certainly doesn't mention the midfield there. He's clearly talking about the wide players and strikers and has told us in the past that we require a replacement for Hartley. I see no reason why he would have changed his mind on that.

KM certainly has stated his desire for a creative midfielder and made a move along those lines for Michael Jacobs of Northampton in January.

The youngster wasn't keen to up sticks mid season but perhaps KM will get a more positive response if he goes back in for him in the Summer.

Certainly more of an Adomah than a Jones type, young with plenty of potential and from the lower leagues, and shouldn't be too expensive.

We were never in for Jacobs, that story was made up when Akinde was linked to Northampton.

All quoted in todays EP.

He's said previously he's looking for central midfielders, he was talking about defence being down to barebones which needs improving which is a fair comment.

Where did it say "no intention" of playing them, it doesn't....he says he'll play them when he feels the time is right and would have played them earlier if the situation was better earlier in the season.

as ever though, you always jump on the most negative viewpoint, besides....I thought you had given up on the club due to a ticket office error,

He's said previously he's looking for central midfielders, he was talking about defence being down to barebones which needs improving which is a fair comment.

Where did it say "no intention" of playing them, it doesn't....he says he'll play them when he feels the time is right and would have played them earlier if the situation was better earlier in the season.

as ever though, you always jump on the most negative viewpoint, besides....I thought you had given up on the club due to a ticket office error,

I love your posts Donald...they always make me chuckle. You never read the posts correctly and always leave inept replies. It must be great living in your world. A land of make believe...

Read what i posted... 'No intention of playing them...unless they are good enough'. FFS

A trip to spec savers might help, or do you rely on the bottom of a pint of Scrumpy before you post.

As for being negative...quiet the opposite. Just trying to find the positives in making us a better team for next season. What KM has said, doesn't fill me with confidence. Just my opinion. But as usual, anyone who questions what Teflon has to say gets dumped on.

He completely contadicts himself in his quotes. Whether that's his fault or how the BEP has written it, who know's. But you can only comment on what has been quoted.

As for being negative...quiet the opposite. Just trying to find the positives in making us a better team for next season. What KM has said, doesn't fill me with confidence. Just my opinion. But as usual, anyone who questions what Teflon has to say gets dumped on.

"You're being negative!"

"No, you're being a happy clapper!"

Grow up.

Archived