IGNORED

An Evening With Gerry Gow

Sargent Pepper

did you peep at his willie hehehehehe is it as big as his reputation

Sorry Mike , I'm not the sort of person who looks.

Great to see two of the 76 boys though. The club needs to do something to recognise these guys. Gerry Gow loves City , you can hear it in his voice , and a testomonial game for him should be granted after 12 years of service.

Superb night total legend and he would beat anyone at this club hands down from 1980 onwards, has he ever been replaced???..

Question came up testomonial ?? this was mentioned and so say said no because if the club said yes then we would have to give it to every player who asked? FFS THIS IS GERRY GOW... club said no?? ok carey and murray may deserve one, and merrick got one but no gow? 12 years service???

this then was asked about if not the club back it then the fans hire ashton gate? to which again were told no... but the fans forum or media football team can hire or use it!!!!!! come on...

what i heard tonight disgusts me, please bcfc, supporters trust, mr lloyd sort this out someone sort it out ....... :angry:

I believe that he is stil held in very high regard in the blue half of Manchester as well.

Perhaps it wouldn't be beyond the remit of the club to arrange a City Legends vs Man City Legends match?

8th on the all time list with 445 appearances, 54 goals. This wasn't some fly by night mercenary who came to our club for the money. This is one of the greatest players ever to don the red and white, arguably just behind Atyeo in popularity stakes.

FFS City this needs sorting out.

I believe that he is stil held in very high regard in the blue half of Manchester as well.

Perhaps it wouldn't be beyond the remit of the club to arrange a City Legends vs Man City Legends match?

8th on the all time list with 445 appearances, 54 goals. This wasn't some fly by night mercenary who came to our club for the money. This is one of the greatest players ever to don the red and white, arguably just behind Atyeo in popularity stakes.

FFS City this needs sorting out.

Spot on. He said last night that he never wanted to leave and waived his contractual right to a £15K payment because he knew the club was in a mess financially.

Spot on. He said last night that he never wanted to leave and waived his contractual right to a £15K payment because he knew the club was in a mess financially.

And yet I bet some of our players are on that a week! £15k back then was an awfully large amount of money.

This is a guy who came to us as a kid from Scotland, instrumental in getting us into the top flight, even more so in keeping us there, scored 50 goals for us from Midfield(23rd-ish all time goal scorer for a primarily defensive midfielder who broke forward on occassion). He would not have been paid the astronomical sums that todays players get paid, but had he been playing today, at todays inflated prices, would be worth £20m easy and with one transfer would be set up for life. Instead he showed LOYALTY, a word that would have most modern day footballers fumbling for the dictionary.

Personally, I effing hate the word Legend, as it gets bandied about willy-nilly to all players who have stayed at our club more than 2 minutes, and to name (fine) players like Tinnion, Carey and Murray as Legends, quite frankly, does a slight disservice to Colossus' of the game like Gow, Ritchie, Atyeo et al. If you were to look in a BCFC encyclopedia and search for the word Legend, then Mr Gows, moustache and curly hair would be staring straight back at you.

And yet I bet some of our players are on that a week! £15k back then was an awfully large amount of money.

This is a guy who came to us as a kid from Scotland, instrumental in getting us into the top flight, even more so in keeping us there, scored 50 goals for us from Midfield(23rd-ish all time goal scorer for a primarily defensive midfielder who broke forward on occassion). He would not have been paid the astronomical sums that todays players get paid, but had he been playing today, at todays inflated prices, would be worth £20m easy and with one transfer would be set up for life. Instead he showed LOYALTY, a word that would have most modern day footballers fumbling for the dictionary.

Personally, I effing hate the word Legend, as it gets bandied about willy-nilly to all players who have stayed at our club more than 2 minutes, and to name (fine) players like Tinnion, Carey and Murray as Legends, quite frankly, does a slight disservice to Colossus' of the game like Gow, Ritchie, Atyeo et al. If you were to look in a BCFC encyclopedia and search for the word Legend, then Mr Gows, moustache and curly hair would be staring straight back at you.

Absolutely, too many average players at too many clubs are over-hyped. Any sense of proportion has been lost, especially since Sky decided that football began with the Premier League. Carey for instance is a million miles from Geoff Merrick (and Dave Rodgers and Gary Collier for that matter) and anyone who thinks Marv is an all action player never saw Gerry, who also became a very good footballer and not just a hard man. I don't think we really appreciated what we had in those days. Sure do now.

Another thing that would be different if he was playing now is international caps.

Scotland had some very good players back then and always qualified for the world cup even when England didn't.

In todays Scotland team Gerry Gow would be the first name on the team sheet.

You beat me to it Economu.

Unfortunately, there seems to be very little footage of Gow on youtube in a red City shirt.

Its funny. Theres probably a video montage/homage to every bloody player from the Conference up, yet very little of a man like Gow :disapointed2se:

Archived