IGNORED

David Moyes...

Alex#40

Having attended the 25th Anniversary Dinner for winning the Frieght Rover Cup last night David Moyes stood up with Richard Latham and told the story of how he was almost Bristol City manager.

Moyes said he met with the City board in a hotel in Stoke and agree in principle to becoming the next City manager before taking a break. He said he was on a flight back to the UK to do the deal and be officially introduced when he got a call saying don't bother we've hired Tony Pulis. Pulis lasted 6 awful months and Moyes went on to be the 3rd longest serving manager in the Premier League.

Oh what might have been!

Having attended the 25th Anniversary Dinner for winning the Frieght Rover Cup last night David Moyes stood up with Richard Latham and told the story of how he was almost Bristol City manager.

Moyes said he met with the City board in a hotel in Stoke and agree in principle to becoming the next City manager before taking a break. He said he was on a flight back to the UK to do the deal and be officially introduced when he got a call saying don't bother we've hired Tony Pulis. Pulis lasted 6 awful months and Moyes went on to be the 3rd longest serving manager in the Premier League.

Oh what might have been!

But on the other hand Pulis is in the prem now, and is doing fairly well so if you said we could of had him but got e.g paul trollope, i would of been gutted.

Ah well hindsight is a wonderful thing

Oh what might have been!

I remember SD telling me the story about 5-6 years ago and wanting to go and bang my head against the wall. We'll never know how good he might have been here though I guess - it might not have worked out you can never tell. :dunno:

Interesting. For those of us long enough in the tooth there's always been a sense of what might have been about following City...Bolton, how did they go from being abysmal when we beat them at Wembley to Prem regulars?....Pulis...how did he get Stoke into a consistent Prem position?

There's a lot of positive sentiment towards SL and the board on here. Fair play, they've been better than many of their predecessors.

But City has a history of missing the boat. Peter Taylor was a case in point if the stories told at the time are true and he was ignored in favour of Fawthrop.

So when some - myself included - are sceptical when a Keith Millen gets the job....that scepticism is rooted in past experience.

I can remember at the time hearing Moyles had got the job and would be revealed when he got back from holiday.

When we got Pulis I was gutted, tried to give him a chance but never liked the bloke and beleive me he is still disliked by many Stoke fans.

But I have to say hats off to him for what he's achieved but give me Moyles any day.

Archived