IGNORED

Happy St George's Day

dafarms

No it aint. It is May 2nd this year. It was moved due to the close proximity to Easter. There was a phone-in on 5 Live about it this morning

Well aint that just bloody typical of the BBC. Filled with loony lefties and anti English middle aged woman who wear wooden jewellery and pride themselves on having hairy growlers up to their navals.

http://www.comres.co...e184605919.aspx

All the info is down the page. Rare event, but it doesn't change the fact that it's not officially St Georges Day today

If you are specifically referring to when the Anglican and Catholic churches will celebrate, then yes. However, St. George's Day is officially a celebration held on the day of his death (i.e. it will be on the 23rd April every year) and no church will change the way the majority of people honour this. Anyway, to be on the safe side, it can do no harm in celebrating on both days!

Happy St. George's Day all!

:englandsmile4wf::drunk2:

Just like to point out that the patron Saint of England was born in Syria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_George

I mean what are the chances of some middle eastern bloke being called George

all sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Agree - whenever people tell me about the Bible and the prophets being named Matthew, Luke, John I laugh - seriously what are the chances that a couple of thousand of years ago in Palestine/Israel there would be blokes with names like that - sounds dodgy to me :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed:

Anyway Happy ST Georges day

remember HOME RULE for ENGLAND

I for one can't stand St George's day, all a bit too nationalistic and often bigoted for my liking.

Nonsense. St George's Day isn't too nationalistic. Only people are, if anything.

And how the bloody hell can it be too nationalistic if it doesn't even feature on most people's radar?

St George's day is there for people who wish to express pride in their nation. If you don't want it, ignore it, otherwise you'll have everyone spouting national pride all over you, and you wouldn't like that would you?

Fly the flag lads. We've plenty to be proud of englandsmile4wf.gifenglandsmile4wf.gifenglandsmile4wf.gifenglandsmile4wf.gifenglandsmile4wf.gifenglandsmile4wf.gifenglandsmile4wf.gif

Nonsense. St George's Day isn't too nationalistic. Only people are, if anything.

And how the bloody hell can it be too nationalistic if it doesn't even feature on most people's radar?

St George's day is there for people who wish to express pride in their nation. If you don't want it, ignore it, otherwise you'll have everyone spouting national pride all over you, and you wouldn't like that would you?

Fly the flag lads. We've plenty to be proud of englandsmile4wf.gifenglandsmile4wf.gifenglandsmile4wf.gifenglandsmile4wf.gifenglandsmile4wf.gifenglandsmile4wf.gifenglandsmile4wf.gif

Summed up perfectly !!

http://www.comres.co...e184605919.aspx

All the info is down the page. Rare event, but it doesn't change the fact that it's not officially St Georges Day today

Thanks for the link Matty.

So.. 'it falls on Holy Saturday this year... so it automatically moves in the Church Calendar to May 2nd.'

It's not officially St George's Day today for the Church then, and there will be a 2nd celebration, along with the traditional Scouts, Guides parades on May 2nd.

The people's celebration of St. George's Day on April 23rd will no doubt continue today as usual.

Errr...there were blokes with the names Matthew, Luke and John because they're Hebrew names. And the bible is an English language translation of ancient Hebrew texts. England didn't 'invent' them.

Maybe you look at the post I quoted and then look up the word irony.

Thanks for the link Matty.

So.. 'it falls on Holy Saturday this year... so it automatically moves in the Church Calendar to May 2nd.'

It's not officially St George's Day today for the Church then, and there will be a 2nd celebration, along with the traditional Scouts, Guides parades on May 2nd.

The people's celebration of St. George's Day on April 23rd will no doubt continue today as usual.

Aye. As someone else said, the ideal excuse to celebrate twice! w00t!! :D

15 of us bought English knights costumes and did a pub crawl through bedminster and into town....

We were greatly received, so many people beeped at as and everyone was shaking our hands saying fair play! Quality day! :D

Knight%20Of%20The%20Round%20Table%20-%20AC716-1.jpg

Something like that? Crusaders that killed hundreds of thousands "in the name of Christianity". But yeah "fair play".

(cue someone going mental and calling me a non-patriot for stating a historical truth and a reason why such a costume is patriotic with no horrible connotations, I suppose the distance in time between us and the crusades is ok. A *unacceptable word* costume certainly wouldn't go down as well. The Crusades were equally as evil.)

Happy Easter and Happy St. Georges day for the other day; But religion really does have me despairing, just another way to control people. Christianity and religion as a whole is riddled with massive contradictions and too many people have died for it.

People will just pull on costumes like this without realizing what they are wearing, maybe in a thousand years everyone will be wearing *unacceptable word* uniforms because of the snazzy armbands.

However I am proud to be English, just a self conscious non jingoistic Englishman.

[edit] interesting, please replace *unacceptable word* with members of the Third Reich.

The Irish community in this country seem to put a lot of time, effort and money into celebrating Patrick's Day here. There are never accusations of "Nationalism" when this happens, but simply the idea of them "having a good time".

The same should apply for England's Day, without the need to justify it.

I have a theory on that- perhaps the distinction is drawn due to respective histories of the two countries. The Irish were an oppressed people, whereas our history- well there was a decent amount of oppression and colonialism. Having said this, the same could be said about most European nations really.Personally I see it as up to the individual as to whether they can be bothered to celebrate it really.

Something like that? Crusaders that killed hundreds of thousands "in the name of Christianity". But yeah "fair play".

(cue someone going mental and calling me a non-patriot for stating a historical truth and a reason why such a costume is patriotic with no horrible connotations, I suppose the distance in time between us and the crusades is ok. A *unacceptable word* costume certainly wouldn't go down as well. The Crusades were equally as evil.)

Happy Easter and Happy St. Georges day for the other day; But religion really does have me despairing, just another way to control people. Christianity and religion as a whole is riddled with massive contradictions and too many people have died for it.

People will just pull on costumes like this without realizing what they are wearing, maybe in a thousand years everyone will be wearing *unacceptable word* uniforms because of the snazzy armbands.

However I am proud to be English, just a self conscious non jingoistic Englishman.

[edit] interesting, please replace *unacceptable word* with members of the Third Reich.

This. ^

Haha got to love otib!!

Archived