IGNORED

Nicky Maynard!

Dolman Block B

Maybe, but I know where I'd rather live, and that takes precedent over football any day. A year or two back Bristol was voted one of the top ten cities in the world. It's a huge, vibrant city. Norwich is a backwater, even if it is more footballcentric (is that a word?)

I can't see any club paying 5, 6 or 7m for a player in the last year of his contract and unproven at a high level.

Any offers are more likely to be around the 3m to 4m mark and then it wil be up to SL to decide if the deal is worth it for BCFC, after all, we would have to give Crewe a HUGE chunk of that.

I think SL might gamble and keep NM here until his contract runs out, a bit like Bothroyd at Baaaardiff and I think NM will be happy with that.

BCAGFC

Only differnce though Arn is Bristol has no history of top flight football to speak of, Norwich have played at the top on a number of occasions and have played in European competition. The people of Bristol in general just don't have the passion for the game other parts of the UK have.

You go to hard working class towns up North and they have a focus and it generally is watching their home towns football team on their weekend off, Bristol is a fairly wealthy, middle class city, their is little passion there, apathy rules!!

Sort of agree Sceech but there is a extra quarter of a million (250,000) persons in Bristol over Norwich. If only 2% became City fans you would see an increase of 5000 fans through the gates. That aint much to ask for surely?

I can't see any club paying 5, 6 or 7m for a player in the last year of his contract and unproven at a high level.

Any offers are more likely to be around the 3m to 4m mark and then it wil be up to SL to decide if the deal is worth it for BCFC, after all, we would have to give Crewe a HUGE chunk of that.

I think SL might gamble and keep NM here until his contract runs out, a bit like Bothroyd at Baaaardiff and I think NM will be happy with that.

BCAGFC

If you re-read my post you'll see the disclaimer that will mean the larger fees are attainable. The rest of what you typed is what I said anyway in terms of monetary value

Listened to Steve Bruce and Alan Pardew after their games yesterday and both said they are on the hunt for strikers in the summer. NM name must be mentioned in that?

They've both got tens of millions to throw about and will buy far better than our Nicky.

Exactly Matt and that aint going to happen. Not only has Millen said there is probably no appeal, Sheff Utd fans say it was a defo red.

Adios Nicky then.

But what,s he worth?

He is worth what ever anyone is willing to pay that we cant afford to turn down. With our debts over the last couple of years we need all the money we can get which puts us in a weaker negotiating position, everyone else is in the same position which makes it harder to get the money together to pay for a player - I think were in a deflationary market for the cost of players (outside of clubs that seem to have unlimited money) which could be good for trying to find and replace players but bad for getting rid of players. I think we will get less for Maynard than a lot of people expect, probably around 4 to 5 mil, which is a shame because 3 years ago at his current age and level of ability he would probably be worth 7-8 mil.

If you re-read my post you'll see the disclaimer that will mean the larger fees are attainable. The rest of what you typed is what I said anyway in terms of monetary value

We won't get 5m for NM, it will be nearer 3 or 4m regardless of him signing an extension.

Clubs just won't spend that money on a gamble at his age and also because everyone regards us as a small club that will take less.

If NM was at Ipswich then the price would go up, just because it was Ipswich.

BCAGFC.

We won't get 5m for NM, it will be nearer 3 or 4m regardless of him signing an extension.

Clubs just won't spend that money on a gamble at his age and also because everyone regards us as a small club that will take less.

If NM was at Ipswich then the price would go up, just because it was Ipswich.

BCAGFC.

In your opinion, of course. I disagree. We'll find out one day I guess

I reckon you're probably right there Arn, but if we ever have any aspirations of being a TOP CLUB ourself then

we need to keep hold of Maynard. (If HE WANTS TO GO then we can't stop him) He's going to be the difference between us looking upwards instead of sideways or even

down. All I keep hearing is we're a small club punching above our weight. Isn't it about time we had some positive

thinking for a change, and with keeping Maynard and a few more quality players in we could have a good crack at promotion.

Why don't we DESERVE IT? instead of 'Little Bristol City in the Premier League' don't be silly!

And where exactly do we get the money for this great ambition? A look at our recent accounts makes grim reading, shows just how wasteful we have been, and proves that trying to buy success is pointless if you just pack the squad with modest journeymen. You only have to look at the table of average attendances, and compare our recent record to other Clubs to see that we are a relatively small Club, and quite frankly, without SL's generosity, we would be a bankrupt club. If we want the PL, we need to be much smarter in our purchasing, employ scouts for their ability rather than family connections, get our Academy running properly, and be patient. The Club is in transition both on and off the pitch, and if NM won't sign an extention, I can't see that we have any choice but to sell, if we get a decent offer. I can even see him going to Wolves, West Ham or Blackburn if they get relegated.

And where exactly do we get the money for this great ambition? A look at our recent accounts makes grim reading, shows just how wasteful we have been, and proves that trying to buy success is pointless if you just pack the squad with modest journeymen. You only have to look at the table of average attendances, and compare our recent record to other Clubs to see that we are a relatively small Club, and quite frankly, without SL's generosity, we would be a bankrupt club. If we want the PL, we need to be much smarter in our purchasing, employ scouts for their ability rather than family connections, get our Academy running properly, and be patient. The Club is in transition both on and off the pitch, and if NM won't sign an extention, I can't see that we have any choice but to sell, if we get a decent offer. I can even see him going to Wolves, West Ham or Blackburn if they get relegated.

True enough. We tried throwing money at it and it failed. We now have a more sensible long terms strategy (though I am concerned that recent events seem to contradict it; time will tell). But I would have thought West Ham and Blackburn's debts would rule them out. As to Wolves, they spent £7m on Fletcher and he hasn't come off. I doubt they would spend big if relegated. Nicky would do himself a disservice if he went to a Championship club imo, or indeed just any Prem club. I think he is capable of playing in a team that is not fighting relegation (like an Everton or Newcastle). Of course what he should really do is sign a 5 year contract with us.:innocent06:

After watching it on BBC tonight, i think the red is worth appealing..

I Doubt we'd get anything for it yes the pitch was awful and usually when Maynard does these half of the time gets the ball but half times not. We know Maynard had no intent to hurt the other player but the ref can't have the same bias he doesn't know Maynard. I think even though a little harsh Maynard should of thought before sliding on such a wet pitch.

True enough. We tried throwing money at it and it failed. We now have a more sensible long terms strategy (though I am concerned that recent events seem to contradict it; time will tell). But I would have thought West Ham and Blackburn's debts would rule them out. As to Wolves, they spent £7m on Fletcher and he hasn't come off. I doubt they would spend big if relegated. Nicky would do himself a disservice if he went to a Championship club imo, or indeed just any Prem club. I think he is capable of playing in a team that is not fighting relegation (like an Everton or Newcastle). Of course what he should really do is sign a 5 year contract with us.:innocent06:

My reasoning is that they would be looking for a proven Championship striker to take them straight back up, I think that much will depend on how many offers we get, and whether we decide to sell, and use some of the money to strengthen other areas of the team. There is also the question of how much it would cost to keep him, if a sizeable chunk of our wages budget is going on him and David James, add on players still under contract, and it does not allow much flexibility to bring in new players. If we weren't committed on James, we could have Henderson as our #1, and use the money saved to offer better terms to Maynard.

The other worries for this summer-

We get offers for Albert, he has impressed with both his skill and brilliant attitude, and I'm sure he has been spotted by various scouts.

Henderson moves on for a low fee. I think he is going to be a very good keeper, and really can't understand why we risk losing him due to short-termism. If we are serious about going up, you have to develop your better youngsters, and spend the money on the other parts of the team that need strengthening.

Caulker - Looking a lost cause for next season.

Spence - Looking horribly good, so if West Ham come down they will probably keep him, and if not, we might face serious competition for his signature. (QPR?)

Ribiero - If he stays at City, he will either be a sicknote or just a fringe player. I really think he has talent and if we get a cheeky bid (Smaller Championship or a League One club), we might just sell to free up a spot on the wage bill. He would probably benefit from a change of club.

My reasoning is that they would be looking for a proven Championship striker to take them straight back up, I think that much will depend on how many offers we get, and whether we decide to sell, and use some of the money to strengthen other areas of the team. There is also the question of how much it would cost to keep him, if a sizeable chunk of our wages budget is going on him and David James, add on players still under contract, and it does not allow much flexibility to bring in new players. If we weren't committed on James, we could have Henderson as our #1, and use the money saved to offer better terms to Maynard.

The other worries for this summer-

We get offers for Albert, he has impressed with both his skill and brilliant attitude, and I'm sure he has been spotted by various scouts.

Henderson moves on for a low fee. I think he is going to be a very good keeper, and really can't understand why we risk losing him due to short-termism. If we are serious about going up, you have to develop your better youngsters, and spend the money on the other parts of the team that need strengthening.

Caulker - Looking a lost cause for next season.

Spence - Looking horribly good, so if West Ham come down they will probably keep him, and if not, we might face serious competition for his signature. (QPR?)

Ribiero - If he stays at City, he will either be a sicknote or just a fringe player. I really think he has talent and if we get a cheeky bid (Smaller Championship or a League One club), we might just sell to free up a spot on the wage bill. He would probably benefit from a change of club.

Undoubtably, but we only paid a small fee for his sevices. Even now, he got to be worth at least 3 million so big profits if we ever did have to sell. Dont want to mind you, i still dont think we have seen the best of him and he could tear the championship apart next season.

Back to Maynard. Anything over 5 million and City will sell.

Back to Maynard. Anything over 5 million and City will sell.

Maynard's will dictates everything.

For me, £5 million plus a sell on around 15% if he makes clear he fancies elsewhere, £7 million with similar sell on if he signs extension, which I tend to think he will.

Either way I think he'll be gone in summer, which is why im hopeful he signs extension as everyone wins. £5 million is an absolute steal for an English striker with his best years ahead of him, I have no doubt, if he stays injury free, he will go on to become a consistent Premier League striker at least.

This may sound dramatic but if we lose Nicky then I think next season will be a relegation battle. He's our only prolific scorer and we lack creativity.

I think we'll go back to League one before we get into the Premier League... in fact the Premier League seems an impossible dream these days.

Can't do much more than hope Millen is replaced (I don't think he's right for this job) and that we come in the top half regularly.

This may sound dramatic but if we lose Nicky then I think next season will be a relegation battle. He's our only prolific scorer and we lack creativity.

I think we'll go back to League one before we get into the Premier League... in fact the Premier League seems an impossible dream these days.

Can't do much more than hope Millen is replaced (I don't think he's right for this job) and that we come in the top half regularly.

Don't want to lose Nicky but for me Pitman has 20 goal a season potential too. His record this season is similar to Nicky's first season for instance.:fingerscrossed:

While I have reservations about Keith, which I have expressed in other threads, Pitman shows he is a good judge of a player and I see no grounds for replacing him now. He should be judged on next season imo.

Archived