IGNORED

Martinez Eyes James For Latics

Dan Of The Dolman

Sorry to be a total spoilsport but if Martinez wants him I will gladly drive him to Wigan!!!

In my opinion certainly NO better than Gherken OR Henderson and "allegedly" costing a lot more in wages???

And before anybody wants to take a pop let me tell you just ONE fact:-

Last season in 46 games we conceded a total of 65 goals and may I remind you that at this stage last season most contributors on this forum and at the ground agreed on one thing that Gherks was not the answer and we needed a new keeper.

So in at "alleged" higher overall cost we bring in Calamity and yet with two games still to play (which with our current run of form I just cannot believe we wont concede any more goals this season) we have quite coincidentally already conceded 65 goals?

On that I rest my case and if Wigan it is then as "Bumble" famously says "Start the car!!!!!"

Not included in stats; goals for, points accrued, manager upheaval, number of goals due to keeper error, weak links in defence, average goals scored in championship compared with last season, income from presence of DJ at AG - this includes gate receipts, promotional goods sales and sponsorship. The list is endless so lets not quote weak inappropriate stats which can be interpreted in a number of ways!

Ahhh...yes...last of the big spenders. C'mon be realistic. SL has admitted he's ballsed up when it came to allowing certain players be signed under GJ and Loan players brought in on extravegant wages ie Stern John. So now because of those mistakes and the debt we have incurred through it, the Club decides our future lies in young Loan players like Caulker and Spence and bringing on Acadamy players.

Stead and Pitman are Steady average Championship players.

The Ambition of this Club, so we are told, is to be a Premier League side in a new Stadium. Do you honestly believe we have a cat in hells chance of achieving that goal, without spending big?

The direction the Club are taking on the field doesn't fit in with their Ambitions. We are becoming a 'typical' Championship side, that one season could be fighting relegation and another pushing for a play off place. We could spend millions over the years going round in circles hoping one day we sneak up through the play offs.

Clubs like QPR, Norwich, Swansea have all made radical changes. That's why they are pushing for promotion and we're not.

Unfortunately, because of the mistakes made in spending, the Club are now, it seems, going to try and succeed in this Division by being very frugile. Personally I think it will backfire long term.

Just my opinion, and i'm sure many will disagree. The year of 82 still haunts us, and i fear it will never go away.

Well, to answer those questions.

No I don't believe we have a chance of becoming a Premier League side any time soon and when our gates are near the bottom six in the division I have no idea why we should.

We are a typical championship side and our support and history doesn't indicate anything more. The next bit doesn't make sense, we have just said that we won't be spending millions in future, so I don't get your point.

What "radical changes" have Norwich made then? They have largely the team that got them out of League One. What they have as we did in our first season up, is momentum.

Likewise QPR, their expenditure under Warnock has been surprisingly small, Taarabt for instance, only cost them what Lee Trundle cost us.....

I think the club is now aware that poor choices and unsustainable expenditure only leads one way, 1998 is a better lesson than 1982 and I for one fully applaud a plan that involves making use of Wigley's excellent contacts and not wasting large sums as we have in the past few years.

Not included in stats; goals for, points accrued, manager upheaval, number of goals due to keeper error, weak links in defence, average goals scored in championship compared with last season, income from presence of DJ at AG - this includes gate receipts, promotional goods sales and sponsorship. The list is endless so lets not quote weak inappropriate stats which can be interpreted in a number of ways!

Yes, the income from David James being at City must have raised at least £50. A huge contribution towards paying his trifling £15k per week wages. And before I get the usual response that I don't know what he's earning, this is the source of the reported £15K per week wage.

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2010/08/01/david-james-snubbed-massive-wages-at-celtic-to-join-bristol-city-102039-22455044/

Put it this way, we will not progress anywhere with Gherken as our number one.

Having the former England keeper as our number one isn't enough for some, why don't we make a bid for Valdez or Buffon!

Face facts we are an average championship club, that in all honesty is going NOWHERE quickly, having James here this season has at least awoken the media to our presence, I am sure the impending move of Nicky will further do so, with the new stadium seemingly still on hold and our financial future without the stadium and promotion (!!!!) looking less than bright, there is an argument that he is a luxury.

I am pretty certain that with Gherken still between the sticks that this season might have been far from over!

Archived