IGNORED

Martinez Eyes James For Latics

Dan Of The Dolman

If Henderson signs, I'd be more than happy to see him him go. Save ourselves quite a few ££££'s and long-term it would be a far better investment.

Nothing against James, he's been a good keeper and a good pro, but it's time to stop the extravagent spending on short-term measures and rebuild with an eye to the future.

If Henderson signs, I'd be more than happy to see him him go. Save ourselves quite a few ££££'s and long-term it would be a far better investment.

Nothing against James, he's been a good keeper and a good pro, but it's time to stop the extravagent spending on short-term measures and rebuild with an eye to the future.

spot on chappers, henderson is our future!

Have to agree ,he does represent a short term luxury in terms of playing however if DJ wants to get into management his input and experience should be welcomed and fully utilized. As a result we both mutually benefit.

After his display against Forest if it is purely for a year as a big name keeper I would be having second thoughts as the money can be better utilized.

I still find it amazing that everybody seems to have an insight into the clubs finances.... as far as players wages are concerned.... when as I see it, nothing specific has ever been published?:dunno:

From where I'm sitting, having DJ on board is a blessing and great vfm, great for the marketing of the club and will likely be a plus when it comes to signing defenders who may be wavering towards a 'bigger'/more glamorous club than the mighty reds. What more would a young player like Spence prefer than the experience of James behind him, I'm sure DJ has also been a big plus for Caulker!

I can't see Hendo coming back from Yo-yo very soon... if ever, unfortunately.

Sorry to be a total spoilsport but if Martinez wants him I will gladly drive him to Wigan!!!

In my opinion certainly NO better than Gherken OR Henderson and "allegedly" costing a lot more in wages???

And before anybody wants to take a pop let me tell you just ONE fact:-

Last season in 46 games we conceded a total of 65 goals and may I remind you that at this stage last season most contributors on this forum and at the ground agreed on one thing that Gherks was not the answer and we needed a new keeper.

So in at "alleged" higher overall cost we bring in Calamity and yet with two games still to play (which with our current run of form I just cannot believe we wont concede any more goals this season) we have quite coincidentally already conceded 65 goals?

On that I rest my case and if Wigan it is then as "Bumble" famously says "Start the car!!!!!"

Sorry to be a total spoilsport but if Martinez wants him I will gladly drive him to Wigan!!!

In my opinion certainly NO better than Gherken OR Henderson and "allegedly" costing a lot more in wages???

And before anybody wants to take a pop let me tell you just ONE fact:-

Last season in 46 games we conceded a total of 65 goals and may I remind you that at this stage last season most contributors on this forum and at the ground agreed on one thing that Gherks was not the answer and we needed a new keeper.

So in at "alleged" higher overall cost we bring in Calamity and yet with two games still to play (which with our current run of form I just cannot believe we wont concede any more goals this season) we have quite coincidentally already conceded 65 goals?

On that I rest my case and if Wigan it is then as "Bumble" famously says "Start the car!!!!!"

You rest your case on the fact that we have may/probably will concede more goals this season than last? Have you considered that defenders (in fact all outfield players) have a bearing on the amount of goals that we concede? Surely, it is better looking at shots saved to goal ratio, which as someone pointed out earlier in the season, is a much better indicator of goalkeeping competence and one which James would win hands down.

Agree that the stats prove little, especially as we have had injuries and Hunt. Ho idea on players wages, but if rumours are true, DJ earns a lot more that Hendo or Gerken, money that would be better spent on parts of the team that need strengthening. It is this obsession with the short-term, and trying to pretend that we are somehow a big Championship club that keeps holding us back. Henderson looks to be the future, and if we lose him now for a pittance, it will just sum up the appalling wat that this Club is run. Next we'll pick a half fit 35 year old rather than try a former U21 International in a game with little at stake for City... Hang on......

What absolute garbage!

Might we consider the collection of numpties the poor sods had in front of him this season,probably the worst back four he's ever had the misfortune to work with.

You only have to watch him to see the frustration when he tries to take a quick throw but no ones in position, so a 'whoosh' up field is his only option. Don't forget, it takes more than one to make or break a team.

I'm sure James was expecting to be playing Premier League football next season, albeit with us. Perhaps if Wigan stay up it may be enough to lure James and his family away for a final swansong.

Not the end of the world if he goes anyway, in my opinion.

I also got the impression that DJ thought there was a good chance of us going up. And that's why he came here. Along with being close to his family. With DJ and SC on board, there was a real buzz about the Club and the bookies and press had us as dark horses to go up.

The buzz and momentum all disappeared when KM was appointed. And the money seemed to dry up as well. There was no talk of tightening the purse strings at the beginning of pre season, yet as soon as KM was on board, it started being talked about...Am I wrong? :dunno:

I also got the impression that DJ thought there was a good chance of us going up. And that's why he came here. Along with being close to his family. With DJ and SC on board, there was a real buzz about the Club and the bookies and press had us as dark horses to go up.

The buzz and momentum all disappeared when KM was appointed. And the money seemed to dry up as well. There was no talk of tightening the purse strings at the beginning of pre season, yet as soon as KM was on board, it started being talked about...Am I wrong? :dunno:

You regularly are.

We bought Pitman for £800k after Millen was appointed manager and also shelled out half a million plus on Stead and Woolford, too

The spending didn't stop when Millen was appointed, SL just said it wouldn't go on indefinitely (and quite right, too).

What absolute garbage!

Might we consider the collection of numpties the poor sods had in front of him this season,probably the worst back four he's ever had the misfortune to work with.

You only have to watch him to see the frustration when he tries to take a quick throw but no ones in position, so a 'whoosh' up field is his only option. Don't forget, it takes more than one to make or break a team.

One of the problems he's faced is that he's not had a settled back four in front of him. Only three defenders have started in more than half of league games played and one of those is a loanee. McAllister has started in 32/44, Fontaine 31/44, Caulker 29/44. These have been supplemented by a rag-bag of odds and ends, seemingly anyone that happens to be fit on match-day. I think that serious consideration needs to be given to moving Skuse in to fill the RB slot and then to purchasing a couple of quality defenders to improve what we have at CB and LB. A settled defence is the priority for next season.

Henderson is our further? HAHAHAHAHA!!!! based on what? Come on, based on what?

No one has seen him perform at top level regularly, but he's the future? Maybe he is, but no one knows. We currently have a great keeper between the sticks. I thought halfterm was over?

I still find it amazing that everybody seems to have an insight into the clubs finances.... as far as players wages are concerned.... when as I see it, nothing specific has ever been published?:dunno:

From where I'm sitting, having DJ on board is a blessing and great vfm, great for the marketing of the club and will likely be a plus when it comes to signing defenders who may be wavering towards a 'bigger'/more glamorous club than the mighty reds. What more would a young player like Spence prefer than the experience of James behind him, I'm sure DJ has also been a big plus for Caulker!

I can't see Hendo coming back from Yo-yo very soon... if ever, unfortunately.

He didn't look great VFM when he reacted too slowly to stop the hopeful 30 yard punt from the Ipswich youngster or when he spilled the Forest free kick.

Most over-rated player at the club IMHO.

He wont be going anywhere - alas.

You regularly are.

We bought Pitman for £800k after Millen was appointed manager and also shelled out half a million plus on Stead and Woolford, too

The spending didn't stop when Millen was appointed, SL just said it wouldn't go on indefinitely (and quite right, too).

Ahhh...yes...last of the big spenders. C'mon be realistic. SL has admitted he's ballsed up when it came to allowing certain players be signed under GJ and Loan players brought in on extravegant wages ie Stern John. So now because of those mistakes and the debt we have incurred through it, the Club decides our future lies in young Loan players like Caulker and Spence and bringing on Acadamy players.

Stead and Pitman are Steady average Championship players.

The Ambition of this Club, so we are told, is to be a Premier League side in a new Stadium. Do you honestly believe we have a cat in hells chance of achieving that goal, without spending big?

The direction the Club are taking on the field doesn't fit in with their Ambitions. We are becoming a 'typical' Championship side, that one season could be fighting relegation and another pushing for a play off place. We could spend millions over the years going round in circles hoping one day we sneak up through the play offs.

Clubs like QPR, Norwich, Swansea have all made radical changes. That's why they are pushing for promotion and we're not.

Unfortunately, because of the mistakes made in spending, the Club are now, it seems, going to try and succeed in this Division by being very frugile. Personally I think it will backfire long term.

Just my opinion, and i'm sure many will disagree. The year of 82 still haunts us, and i fear it will never go away.

Some good points Spudski, although I do think that we can get promoted without spending big, it just means being patient and spending wisely. The big problem under Johnson was that we bought very ordinary players, and took few gambles, and we ended up with a huge and expensive squad, but hardly any saleable assets. If we get a sensible balance between youth and experience, and target our spending on players who will improve the team, we can be competitive. Accept that we will have to sell our better players occasionally to fund further signings, and we can even keep the finances in reasonable order at the same time.

You suggest that being frugal will backfire - Try this little experiment. each Month, spend all of your pay plus another £300. You will have a good lifestyle for a short period, but it will not last indefinitely, and when the over-spending catches up with you, it will be pretty painful. We can't carry on losing £10 million + per year, and '82 should not 'haunt us', it should act as a serious warning of what can happen if you seriously over-commit the club financially.

Some good points Spudski, although I do think that we can get promoted without spending big, it just means being patient and spending wisely. The big problem under Johnson was that we bought very ordinary players, and took few gambles, and we ended up with a huge and expensive squad, but hardly any saleable assets. If we get a sensible balance between youth and experience, and target our spending on players who will improve the team, we can be competitive. Accept that we will have to sell our better players occasionally to fund further signings, and we can even keep the finances in reasonable order at the same time.

You suggest that being frugal will backfire - Try this little experiment. each Month, spend all of your pay plus another £300. You will have a good lifestyle for a short period, but it will not last indefinitely, and when the over-spending catches up with you, it will be pretty painful. We can't carry on losing £10 million + per year, and '82 should not 'haunt us', it should act as a serious warning of what can happen if you seriously over-commit the club financially.

I can completely understand your sentiments Chappers, and in all honesty I agree with them.

But as far as i'm aware, the Club seem desperate for Premier League football in the 'new Stadium'.

Imho, we will not achieve that unless we are brave financially, or even braver going down the route of say Swansea. There are at least 15 other Clubs in this Division all trying to do the same as us, on a tight budget. They are all looking for that magic manager and cheap player that comes good. I believe we found one in Albert, but they are few and far between.

We could quiet easily be spending millions each season, just to be an average team.

If the Club are happy to do this, then so be it. I'm quiet happy watching Championship football, as long as it Entertaining.

But, we could quiet easily be sat in a New 30,000 seat Stadium half full on a regular basis, after the initial furore has settled.

I look at teams like the two Sheffields, to see where we could quiet easily end up, if we aren't a little more astute.

On a personal note...I find the whole money thing in Football quiet vulger. I really don't like it at all. But SL has chosen his mandate, and i suppose we will have to live by it.

Henderson is our future ???? what !!!

Yeovil have only just escaped relegation from League One and he has been their keeper. He is a good lad to have on the books as back up, but he isn't fit to lace James' boots.

A lot of Yeovil fans i've spoke to said they would of been down if it wasn't for Hendo, they were bottom of the league in January.

I can completely understand your sentiments Chappers, and in all honesty I agree with them.

But as far as i'm aware, the Club seem desperate for Premier League football in the 'new Stadium'.

Imho, we will not achieve that unless we are brave financially, or even braver going down the route of say Swansea. There are at least 15 other Clubs in this Division all trying to do the same as us, on a tight budget. They are all looking for that magic manager and cheap player that comes good. I believe we found one in Albert, but they are few and far between.

We could quiet easily be spending millions each season, just to be an average team.

If the Club are happy to do this, then so be it. I'm quiet happy watching Championship football, as long as it Entertaining.

But, we could quiet easily be sat in a New 30,000 seat Stadium half full on a regular basis, after the initial furore has settled.

I look at teams like the two Sheffields, to see where we could quiet easily end up, if we aren't a little more astute.

On a personal note...I find the whole money thing in Football quiet vulger. I really don't like it at all. But SL has chosen his mandate, and i suppose we will have to live by it.

top post +1 :clapping:

Archived