IGNORED

David James

Robin101

Now, i know there's plenty of david james on here, but is he a 15k a week keeper?

1 - For example, the first goal on monday was awful goalkeeping. It may have been hit hard and what not, but the mans played for england.

2 - Personally, i think he lacks commitment. Some of you won't think that and thats ok. But for forests third goal, he jogged to 'try' and get carey's headed backpass and then, despite the ball not being close to out, pulled up and ran back to the goal.

3 - There has been a lot of talk (abuse) about the lack of time on the pitch youth academy are getting, but no one has mentioned how henderson/gerken haven't been given one league game this season due to a 40 year old who, lets face it, is past his best.

4 - He may be a good goalkeeper, but he does not appear to be 15k a week good goalkeeper.

5 - Be honest, had it not been david james in goal this year, and this goalkeeper had made the mistakes james has this season - he'd be the new LJ. Or the new keith millen.

6 - There isn't a whole host of "Dean Gerken blunder" videos on you tube.

DEan Gerkin has not played at the highest level so less exposure. I suggest you look at the keeper who has saved most shots in the championship this season. That should tell you all you need to know about what sort of defence he has had in front of him.

Ridiculous post

This. I can't even be bothered to reply to each point in turn, as this sort of post crops up every couple of months. I would suggest that James has made very few mistakes all season (the couple at Ipswich spring to mind). He has saved us MANY MANY points. He is also raising the profile of the club and passing on his valuable experience to Gerks/Hendo and other players at the club. Unfortunately, we don't seem to appreciate what we have in DJ. :(

Now, i know there's plenty of david james on here, but is he a 15k a week keeper?

1 - For example, the first goal on monday was awful goalkeeping. It may have been hit hard and what not, but the mans played for england.

2 - Personally, i think he lacks commitment. Some of you won't think that and thats ok. But for forests third goal, he jogged to 'try' and get carey's headed backpass and then, despite the ball not being close to out, pulled up and ran back to the goal.

3 - There has been a lot of talk (abuse) about the lack of time on the pitch youth academy are getting, but no one has mentioned how henderson/gerken haven't been given one league game this season due to a 40 year old who, lets face it, is past his best.

4 - He may be a good goalkeeper, but he does not appear to be 15k a week good goalkeeper.

5 - Be honest, had it not been david james in goal this year, and this goalkeeper had made the mistakes james has this season - he'd be the new LJ. Or the new keith millen.

Heard a rumour on Monday that David James has it written into his contract that, if he is fit, he must play. While I find it hard to believe that any manager/chairman would take a player on under those conditions, remember that DJ was a remarkable coup at the the time, and also the fact that he hasn't been dropped once this season, despite shipping a hatful of goals in successive games mid way through the season. While I still think that we are lucky to have DJ playing for us, I must admit to being very disappointed with the mistakes he has made, the fact that he blames anybody but himself for the slightest error he makes, and also that he looks too bloody comfortable in the No.1 shirt.

David James is undoubtably a great GK. But he doesn't sit comfortably with me at our Club. He stands out like a sore thumb.

When he signed with SC in charge, there was talk of other players being attracted to this Club of his calibre, because both he and SC were here.

Then SC left and KM was put in charge and everything seemed to change.

Communication between him and his defense seems almost non existant. During warm up, everyone seems on egg shells around him. Maybe i'm reading it wrong, but for me he is a great Keeper, but comes across as individual amongst a Team.

As to whether we could use his wages to bring in some decent Midfielders, and use Gerkin or Henderson in his place, and do just as well...who knows!

I'm disappointed in him, too. He comes across as arrogant, spending too long posturing, often not releasing the ball quickly enough, and seeming to be "above" everyone else on the pitch.

Granted, he has made some great saves - but made some bad errors too: in short, a typical 'keeper: nothing special.

Henderson or Gerkin are good enough - and would save us much-needed funds.

Just to add, James came here under the impression we would be going for promotion. Time is running out for him and I think he looks fed-up at times. Not sure what to expect next season.

Whilst not many will agree with you questioning James' ability you have raised some good points. For what its worth here is what I make of your points but first of all how do you know James is on 15k a week?

1 - My initial reaction was he should've held it but then we should react quicker and clear the danger anyway.

2 - To still be in great shape at his age I believe he has commitment. Having said that he doesn't hold Bristol City to his heart as much as we do, but then no-one ever will.

3 - It saddens me to see that we have one of the finest young goalkeepers for a long time out on loan and unlikely to continue his career here. Has Henderson played for us since our first game in the championship? He should've been challenging the number 1 spot pre-season.

4 - He is a good keeper. He was a great keeper. Sadly, people seem to think we have the James of old in goal. His reputation should not go before him. He is a Bristol City player and I will judge him on his appearances for City. He has not proved value for money in my opinion.

5 - As above, many people are judging James' performances for Liverpool, Portsmouth and England etc. He should not be exempt from criticism, or indeed praise.

6 - Whilst Gerken is a decent keeper, I think if had the same exposure as James throughout his career he would have a 12 disc DVD blunder collection.

Overall, James has been a solid squad member this season, nothing more. Lets not forget its his job to make saves.

Some won't like discussion but they will probably want to get back to critcising McAllister, Woolford, Johnson, Clarkson, etc..

Heard a rumour on Monday that David James has it written into his contract that, if he is fit, he must play. While I find it hard to believe that any manager/chairman would take a player on under those conditions, remember that DJ was a remarkable coup at the the time, and also the fact that he hasn't been dropped once this season, despite shipping a hatful of goals in successive games mid way through the season. While I still think that we are lucky to have DJ playing for us, I must admit to being very disappointed with the mistakes he has made, the fact that he blames anybody but himself for the slightest error he makes, and also that he looks too bloody comfortable in the No.1 shirt.

Don't believe everything your mates tell you down the pub. I would seriously doubt this is the case. He didn't play in our 2nd game of the season against Southend in the cup. Also, why would he have asked for this in his contract. He was hardly signed as a squad player, was he? As for his mistakes, I can think of 3 or 4 all season, which is better than average for most keepers. Again, I suggest that the hatful of goals he conceded in those games you mentioned are as much down to our defence as anything else. I would go as far as saying that he has been one of our best players this season, just behind Caulks and Albert. He has saved as many points. I can't believe all the topics on here discussing whether he's been good or not. Is it 'hang the DJ Day' in honour of the Smith's Panic, or something today?

James reminds me of a player that has been there done it as has the t shirt.when he comes out on the pitch he seems to be above the rest of the players in his body language.watching him play he never blames himself for the poor saves,bad kicks etc.he clearly is the most expensive player in city's history,is he worth that title personally do not think so.I would prefer to see that money used in a quality midfield general,and defender.gerkin is more than adequate at this level.should we have a 40 year old ex england goalkeeper taking 15000 a week out of the kitty it could be spent a lot better in my opinion.

James is far and away the best goalkeeper that any of you have seen playing for Bristol City.

It beggars belief that someone has said he earns £15k a week. When did James publish this? Or did the club put it in a programme that I forgot to read?

It beggars belief that someone has said he made a mistake on Monday and didn't take the blame. Do you not watch the game?

It beggars belief that someone has said he doesn't release the ball quickly enough. Despite having a top class coach in Millen (exams he's got) our fullbacks NEVER made themselves available for a throw before James turned up. Now you can see the defence/midfield spreading out for a quick release. This is the one and only change that our "coaching" staff have made in the last five years to our players.

Is he worth £15k a week. No. Is he worth having at Bristol City. Hell, yes.

James is far and away the best goalkeeper that any of you have seen playing for Bristol City.

It beggars belief that someone has said he earns £15k a week. When did James publish this? Or did the club put it in a programme that I forgot to read?

It beggars belief that someone has said he made a mistake on Monday and didn't take the blame. Do you not watch the game?

It beggars belief that someone has said he doesn't release the ball quickly enough. Despite having a top class coach in Millen (exams he's got) our fullbacks NEVER made themselves available for a throw before James turned up. Now you can see the defence/midfield spreading out for a quick release. This is the one and only change that our "coaching" staff have made in the last five years to our players.

Absolutely spot on!

I always wonder where this alleged 15K figure comes from too.... I think you all may get a bit of a surprise if the truth came out..... (and NO I don't know the real figures)

Absolutely spot on!

I always wonder where this alleged 15K figure comes from too.... I think you all may get a bit of a surprise if the truth came out..... (and NO I don't know the real figures)

Correct me if i'm wrong...but is it true that SL is paying DJ's wages out of his own money?

Haven't a clue how much he earns, but i'm sure i've read that somewhere. :dunno:

He was on £50K a week this time last year. Why would anyone consider it unlikely that he's on £15K here?

I just find it amazing how many people appear to be blinded by the heights of his past career and unable to see a very expensive player who consistently fails to kick or throw to a red shirt and for every wonder save he's made for us, has committed a blunder.

If we had been desperate for a goalkeeper he would have been a great signing. If the plan had been to use James as a coach and role model to develop Henderson, it would have made a lot of sense. If we lose Henderson, as looks likely, I think it will have been a very costly error of judgement.

If we had been desperate for a goalkeeper he would have been a great signing. If the plan had been to use James as a coach and role model to develop Henderson, it would have made a lot of sense. If we lose Henderson, as looks likely, I think it will have been a very costly error of judgement.

I agree, if we lose Henderson, it will be a costly error.

We've had some good keepers recently. Basso and Weale and Henderson are three and obviously DJ.

Do you think DJ was brought in as a 'Golden Carrot' to attract other players of his Calibre to the Club. A statement of intent by SL after appointing SC as well? I know he said, one of the reasons he signed was because SC was manager.

In hindsight, his money would have been probably better spent on two decent defenders.

If he wishes to stay in Football, it would be great if he considered a coaching role at the Club. Henderson under him would be insightful.

He was on £50K a week this time last year. Why would anyone consider it unlikely that he's on £15K here?

I just find it amazing how many people appear to be blinded by the heights of his past career and unable to see a very expensive player who consistently fails to kick or throw to a red shirt and for every wonder save he's made for us, has committed a blunder.

He has made a couple of bad errors lately, and his distribution every time I've seen him has been terrible. I agree to an extent about the name, the past etc too.

Christ Less than 12 months ago he was playing for England at the world cup!!!!!!

We are lucky to have him. Still a top keeper and has kept us in games this season, really hope he is here next year aswell. And if Lansdown wants to pay his wages thats up to him!

Quality keeper but what happens if a managerial vacancy pops up around the west country area in the near future, surely he's going to apply for it, by that time Henderson's probally gone to Yeovil permanantly and knowing our luck Gerken will be injured. :tumbleweed: will be in shit again like the Basso/Weale scenario

Christ Less than 12 months ago he was playing for England at the world cup!!!!!!

We are lucky to have him. Still a top keeper and has kept us in games this season, really hope he is here next year aswell. And if Lansdown wants to pay his wages thats up to him!

How big a marker is it in world terms though? Let's be honest we were shown up badly in that tournament, especially v Germany and the Algeria game was just as painful for different reasons. He's made errors in the last 2 home games, he is a fine keeper but he is not infallible. Neuer vs Man United the other night- now there is a top keeper!

Totally agree. People criticising James' distribution I really do find amazing.

Correct me if i'm wrong...but is it true that SL is paying DJ's wages out of his own money?

Haven't a clue how much he earns, but i'm sure i've read that somewhere. :dunno:

SL isn't paying James' wages out of his own money any more than he is any other player's.

Totally agree. People criticising James' distribution I really do find amazing.

Yep, One aspect of his game you simply cannot question is his distribution. Especially considering the last few keepers we've had. James adds another dimension to out attacking play with his quickness in getting the ball to the wingers. I don't think I saw Adriano Basso do that ONCE in his entire City career.

He isn't perfect, but is easily the best keeper I have had the privelidge of seeing at AG.

It would be interesting to see the commercial value he has brought to the club and other intangible positive of his signing that never seem to be considered.

Archived