IGNORED

Wolves Looking At Marv

ben91tucker

nothing on wolves forum and nothing in local media as of yet.

to be fair, they have been after him for so long now, i think they may as well not say anything.

if it was £2 million, i would take it. Elliot is quality but that's a lot of money for him.

Id keep him, if he had better players around him im sure you would see a better player, hopefully with a lot more consistency.

IF true that another club would be prepared to pay 2 mill for him, then surely they may see something else in him that we dont !

Get rid and we would probably get another Donkey.

Would we get all the fee to buy a player to improve the team? NO CHANCE

It depends on the game we are going to play next season and whether we play to Marv's strengths. He is all action, he can tackle, good in the air around both boxes and can run well with with the ball. We all know what he can't do, PASS. Compared to Cisse and even Skuse it's an obvious deficiency in a midfield player, so if we are to play a more passing game next season he would be a serious weak link.

Im undecided on this one, 2 million is a lot for marv, but his work ethic is amazing and hes scored 8 goals this season - Maybe worth keeping as back up to Cisse?

Also is Lee johnson out of contract at the end of season?

It depends on the game we are going to play next season and whether we play to Marv's strengths. He is all action, he can tackle, good in the air around both boxes and can run well with with the ball. We all know what he can't do, PASS. Compared to Cisse and even Skuse it's an obvious deficiency in a midfield player, so if we are to play a more passing game next season he would be a serious weak link.

Marvin, Cisse and Skuse are 3 very similar types of player, although Marvin has the better engine and get's forward more and actually scores well for a midfielder, something a) the other 2 don't and b)we would certainly miss, I mean it's not as if we are a 'free scoring team' is it?.

As for passing do you really believe Cisse and Skuse are better passers of the ball?, it's a tough call on balance but for me i'd keep Marvin every day of the week and get rid of one of the others.

Marv's been generally great for us the last few years, but for £2 million i'd drive down from manchester, pick him up and drop him off myself. Use the money to fund wages and try and entice danns, gunnarsson on a free with a decent say check

Marvin, Cisse and Skuse are 3 very similar types of player, although Marvin has the better engine and get's forward more and actually scores well for a midfielder, something a) the other 2 don't and b)we would certainly miss, I mean it's not as if we are a 'free scoring team' is it?.

As for passing do you really believe Cisse and Skuse are better passers of the ball?, it's a tough call on balance but for me i'd keep Marvin every day of the week and get rid of one of the others.

I think that Skuse and Cisse are different types of player, in the right set up they wouldn't be asked to go forward much, if we were (for example) to adopt the currently "Prem" trendy 4-2-3-1, they would make the perfect "2". Marvin would be an option in the middle of the 3 but I would prefer to see a passer or attacking runner in there. I would say I have seen Skuse make some excellent defence splitting passes, but more to the point both of them keep it fairly simple and give the ball away far less. How many times have you seen Marv, break up a move only to pass it straight back to the opposition? I am not one for stats but my impression is that it happens more often than it should for a player at this level. He is more like the Marv we had in his 1st 2 seasons here, this season, but if he goes off the boil like he did last season there would be many wishing we took the money, if it is indeed offered.

I think that Skuse and Cisse are different types of player, in the right set up they wouldn't be asked to go forward much, if we were (for example) to adopt the currently "Prem" trendy 4-2-3-1, they would make the perfect "2". Marvin would be an option in the middle of the 3 but I would prefer to see a passer or attacking runner in there. I would say I have seen Skuse make some excellent defence splitting passes, but more to the point both of them keep it fairly simple and give the ball away far less. How many times have you seen Marv, break up a move only to pass it straight back to the opposition? I am not one for stats but my impression is that it happens more often than it should for a player at this level. He is more like the Marv we had in his 1st 2 seasons here, this season, but if he goes off the boil like he did last season there would be many wishing we took the money, if it is indeed offered.

Unless we can find this mystical creative midfielder can we afford to lose his 8 goals from midfield?. Skuse, Cisse and Woolford are unlikely to score that amount between them.

My big hope for this forthcoming transfer window is to get in a midfielder that can get forward and score as well as link play and play in people in and around the box, while Cisse sits in. ( David Norris would be my ideal signing for this)

With that in mind I would relutantly take the (supposed) £2m offer for Marv as he wouldn't be used regularly enough.

Unless we can find this mystical creative midfielder can we afford to lose his 8 goals from midfield?. Skuse, Cisse and Woolford are unlikely to score that amount between them.

Woolford hasn't settled yet but had scored 8 goals in all competitions already this season, before he signed for us. I wouldn't write him off just yet. Like I said it would depend on our style of play, don't get me wrong I like Marv, he has some great attributes, but a good fee would be hard to turn down if we can find someone to fill the hole.

disagree with you on that - cisse is a holding midfielder with a limited range, protecting the defence and playing simple passes. elliott is a box to box midfielder who is a ballwinner, while skuse plays with more technical ability, better touch, and looks to pass more, without getting around the pitch as much as elliott. you would be hard pushed to find midfielders who are less similar, in my opinion.

Daniel Defoe?

Yeah, and Mickey Rooney. Depends on the role: I'd pick Rooney over Defoe in a light-hearted, old-fashioned Hollywood comedy any day of the week. But if it's a serious modern drama, then Defoe's yer man...

Id take 2m for marv, use that money on a creative midfielder and put Cisse in as marvs replacement! I rate Cisse higher anyway... good bit of business if true!

Agree with that, though finding a "creative midfielder may prove difficult. The money can certainly be used to strengthen other areas if we scoure the lower leagues ala Albert and Brett.

disagree with you on that - cisse is a holding midfielder with a limited range, protecting the defence and playing simple passes. elliott is a box to box midfielder who is a ballwinner, while skuse plays with more technical ability, better touch, and looks to pass more, without getting around the pitch as much as elliott. you would be hard pushed to find midfielders who are less similar, in my opinion.

I'm really glad that I'm not the only one who thinks that way!

Completely agree, Cisse and Elliott are a similar height and the same skin colour, otherwise I can't see too many other similarities.

I actually think Marvin has had his second best season since joining us (I doubt that he'll ever top his first, when he was simply awesome) and for a midfielder who doesn't take set pieces or penalties to have 8 league goals with another game to go is some achievement.

Our midfield conundrum is finding a way of accommodating his effort, goals and strength alongside the more cerebral and defensive Cisse whilst still adding more creativity to the mix.

Archived