IGNORED

Aussie Rules Afl.

Robbored

I recently spent 3 weeks in Western Australia and got invited to to see an Aussie Rules game between the Fremantle Dockers and Melbourne at the Paterson Stadium in Perth. Having seen some games on TV I had a simple understanding of the game, helped by some helpful Aussie fans sat near me during the game.

It was fast and furious with no lack of goal action and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 35000 crowd in a packed stadium.

Does anyone know where I get some coverage on UK TV?

I recently spent 3 weeks in Western Australia and got invited to to see an Aussie Rules game between the Fremantle Dockers and Melbourne at the Paterson Stadium in Perth. Having seen some games on TV I had a simple understanding of the game, helped by some helpful Aussie fans sat near me during the game.

It was fast and furious with no lack of goal action and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 35000 crowd in a packed stadium.

Does anyone know where I get some coverage on UK TV?

ESPN usually show a couple of games live over the course of a weekend, though the time difference means that the kick off time can range from anywhere between 5am and 10am UK time, depending on which Australian state the game is being played in (mostly Victoria)

I got into it after visiting relatives in Perth a few years ago. It's a cracking sport, as you say it's fast and furious, and there's always something happening.

We tried to get to a Freemantle game, but as they were going well and it was near the end of the season, the game was a total sellout. Instead we went to a local WAFL game, and had some Australians with us explaining the rules. At that game, there was a guy sat near us who kept getting people coming up to him asking him to sign stuff. We had no idea who he was, but it turned out he was the captain of West Coast Eagles. In football terms, it's the equivalent of Ryan Giggs being spotted at Stockport, or John Terry at Dagenham.

ESPN usually show a couple of games live over the course of a weekend, though the time difference means that the kick off time can range from anywhere between 5am and 10am UK time, depending on which Australian state the game is being played in (mostly Victoria)

I got into it after visiting relatives in Perth a few years ago. It's a cracking sport, as you say it's fast and furious, and there's always something happening.

We tried to get to a Freemantle game, but as they were going well and it was near the end of the season, the game was a total sellout. Instead we went to a local WAFL game, and had some Australians with us explaining the rules. At that game, there was a guy sat near us who kept getting people coming up to him asking him to sign stuff. We had no idea who he was, but it turned out he was the captain of West Coast Eagles. In football terms, it's the equivalent of Ryan Giggs being spotted at Stockport, or John Terry at Dagenham.

Thanks for the info. I've set ESPN to record tomorrows match starting at 10am.

Fremantle Dockers will have to be the team I'll follow and I'm in to it enough to have bought a polo shirt with their logo on it.

I was very impressed with the whole set up at Perth. All fans have free train and bus access to the stadium every game and also if there is a concert or some other big event on. Trains from Fremantle run every 10mins before and after the game. Fantastic set up.

Thanks for the info. I've set ESPN to record tomorrows match starting at 10am.

Fremantle Dockers will have to be the team I'll follow and I'm in to it enough to have bought a polo shirt with their logo on it.

I was very impressed with the whole set up at Perth. All fans have free train and bus access to the stadium every game and also if there is a concert or some other big event on. Trains from Fremantle run every 10mins before and after the game. Fantastic set up.

Fremantle Dockers ? You misguided fellow !

COLLINGWOOD is the team- even though they do resemble Newcastle United (for good historical reasons).

Fremantle Dockers ? You misguided fellow !

COLLINGWOOD is the team- even though they do resemble Newcastle United (for good historical reasons).

So I understand but following Collingwood would be like following Man Utd.

The Dockers were fourth in the league when I left and not doing to badly. Two very close wins always helps of course!

So I understand but following Collingwood would be like following Man Utd.

The Dockers were fourth in the league when I left and not doing to badly. Two very close wins always helps of course!

They are at the moment: -but this happy state of affairs has not always existed ,believe me.

If you are a newcomer to the country,your footy loyalty really depends on the aussi friends you make when you first arrive.

When I first came to this country (God- it was forty years ago!!!) I fell in with a bunch of fanatical Magpie supporters so I was "infected" by them, so to speak.

They are at the moment: -but this happy state of affairs has not always existed ,believe me.

If you are a newcomer to the country,your footy loyalty really depends on the aussi friends you make when you first arrive.

When I first came to this country (God- it was forty years ago!!!) I fell in with a bunch of fanatical Magpie supporters so I was "infected" by them, so to speak.

It'll likely to at least two maybe three years before I'll be able to return to Perth. Although we stayed with relatives it wasn't cheap especially with air fares at almost a grand each, car hire at 800 quid and the exchange rate being crap. It one pub it worked out at nearly 7 quid a pint! and take away pizza at 16 quid. At least fuel was cheaper, although at Coral Bay it was on par with the UK.

The tickets for the Dockers game were $58, about 42 quid so not too bad.

The reason I'll follow the Dockers is simply because they were the first team I saw play.

It'll likely to at least two maybe three years before I'll be able to return to Perth. Although we stayed with relatives it wasn't cheap especially with air fares at almost a grand each, car hire at 800 quid and the exchange rate being crap. It one pub it worked out at nearly 7 quid a pint! and take away pizza at 16 quid. At least fuel was cheaper, although at Coral Bay it was on par with the UK.

The tickets for the Dockers game were $58, about 42 quid so not too bad.

The reason I'll follow the Dockers is simply because they were the first team I saw play.

You could do worse, they have always played an attractive style of football.

The present exchange rate is excellent from an Australian point-of-view. When we last visited the U.K. we got just 34p for one AUD, today it's almost double that.

Archived