IGNORED

The Young Gun's On Saturday

numbeast

Now the dust has settled on an exciting and some may say emotional game on Saturday, what are the thoughts on the three youngsters we had out there? Do you think any could make a first team spot their own?

James Wilson for me looked well composed and along side Lewin Nyatanga seemed comfortable both in challenging in the air and on the ground and seemed happy to play football when he was in possession. In fact I'd be quite happy to see young James really pushing for a regular spot next season. Joe Edwards also had a good game albeit a little nervous to start with. I must admit he reminded me of a young Andy Llewellyn, tenacious and up for getting stuck in the only question I have about him is why didn't we play him earlier in the season when we needed a right back. Bobby Ried looked a good prospect but I'm not sure if he is really ready yet still next year and a little older and wiser maybe a regular on the bench. All in all I think 2 out of the three could become 1st teamers with young Bobby looking to get there soon after.

What are your thoughts?

Now the dust has settled on an exciting and some may say emotional game on Saturday, what are the thoughts on the three youngsters we had out there? Do you think any could make a first team spot their own?

Far too early to say. We haven't seen anything like enough of them to make a proper judgement.

I was surprised to see just how tiny Bobby Reid was. He looked like an Under 12. I reckon he'll have to beef up before he can make a real impact. He had the luxury of playing in a meaningless end of season game and Hull weren't that interested. If he plays another Championship game next season he'll find it a lot tougher against defenders who'll have ' Welcome to the Championship' written on the bottom of their boots.

I think Saturdays game was useful for KM in that it should have tempered peoples judgment slightly. Those who have been asking for him to chuck the youngsters have now seen what he sess each day. Wilson ( see my other thread) is ready and I think would have played more but for his injury, Edwards, was OK, got caught of position several times in the 1st half but made some good recovery challenges to make up for it. Bobby Reid passed the ball well but is physically well short and looked even younger than he is. It's not important that he is short (Messi is 5-7?) but I am sure they will start to build him up though to give him the strength to play the more central role he has in the academy. If his level of developpment is matched by the rest of the academy then the "futures squad" will be the best way forward for them.

Wilson yea he could

Edwards I'm 50/50 on

Reid no (needs to bulk up a little bit first as he will be knocked off the ball alot)

Wilson can do us a good job.

Edwards too. His positioning wasn't the best, a bit nervous to begin with but got better with every touch on the ball. When out of position he recovered very well and is a good ball winner. Seems quite similar to Ribeiro. If it come down to it, I wouldn't mind seeing more of Edwards at RB and (if fit), put ribs in midfield.

The thing is now they have tasted first team action they're going to want more, so are they good enough for the Championship if say we are hit by injuries. If we are offered Caulker on a season long loan then that's a no brainer but if we're not do we look to bring in cover on the same terms or do we go with these 2 lads. As Robbo has said it is a bit early to decide whether or not they are going to be the Louis Carey/Andy Llewellyn of today. But choices have to be made now regarding next season. By using these lads as cover it will free up space and more importantly wages to strengthen other area such as left back and midfield.

Based on the Derby and Hull games Wilson looks a decent centre-half and so he should considering he'd the same age as Nyatanga! Edwards had a solid game for me and I thought young Bobby Reid had an excellent passing range when he came on. Yes he's small and will possibly need to bulk up a bit but size isn't everything. The very fact we've kept faith in him even though he's so small suggests his technical ability is good. I mean he was only on for half an hour but he seemed to have a much wider passing range than Lee Johnson, who is also small and weak.

Wilson and Edwards should have been in the team 6 weeks ago after we were safe. The main thing with kids is consistancy and how can they show that in 1 or 2 games? Bobby Reid looked like he could do with buffing up a bit, but had some nice touches.

Serious question how is 22, young in football terms re Wilson?

17-20 then yes, but 22 is positively ancient.

Is this just a BCFC thing that we consider older players to be younger, when clearly they arent

Cheers

It's different with defenders, they generally don't hit their peak until late-20s-30s, so James Wilson is relatively young.

It's different with defenders, they generally don't hit their peak until late-20s-30s, so James Wilson is relatively young.

And his development has been hampered by injuries, which might actually work in his favour in later life, less chance of burn out. I guess it's a matter of perception but it's not that long ago that junior championships were U23's not U21's and players do develop at different rates just like children :)

I think Wilson is more than capable of playing in the first team if he puts in performances like Saturday. His build and the way he played actually reminding me of when Caulker was in the team, granted there was no pressure on the game compaired to the games Caulker played in but think he is a resonable placement for Caulker for next season. Heres hoping ey

Archived