IGNORED

Forum Related

howey_ducky

I suppose some people would rather not get into an argument with someone calling you a ****. I think they'd rather have intelligent posters on the forum, ones who can structure an argument without resorting to name calling from behind a screen.

there might also be incidents of particularly of colour remarks that might not get picked up by a moderator if a report was not sent. this is after all a family forum viewed by many children. If calling people a **** is what you want from a forum then there is a great little forum run by the admin on this very thread.

it's not being a grass, but getting rid of the tossers who ruin it for everyone. Mods frequently ask for help in this regard and on a couple of instances I've felt it necessary to report.

You just contridicted yourself Jordan (you **** **** *********) :nono::wub:

I suppose some people would rather not get into an argument with someone calling you a ****. I think they'd rather have intelligent posters on the forum, ones who can structure an argument without resorting to name calling from behind a screen.

there might also be incidents of particularly of colour remarks that might not get picked up by a moderator if a report was not sent. this is after all a family forum viewed by many children. If calling people a **** is what you want from a forum then there is a great little forum run by the admin on this very thread.

it's not being a grass, but getting rid of the tossers who ruin it for everyone. Mods frequently ask for help in this regard and on a couple of instances I've felt it necessary to report.

There is all that I suppose, all fair points which I agree with to some extent. The job of the mods isn't the easiest, and can be a thankless one.

Just seems to me though, to be a slightly dare I say it dishonourable way of going about things. In the past, surprisngly enough under provocation I have reacted to said provocation and fought fire with fire.

Now, unlike me the person on the end of my response (or seemingly a third party) would press complain hence me being pulled up all too often by mods/admin over my response. I don't react so often now but still seldom report- the calling someone a **** thing would only come about after provocation in my experience. Ironically though, the provocateur does not tend to get reported or pulled up, whereas they who react invariably do.

so YOU are the one always reporting me? ha! :pacifier:

so YOU are the one always reporting me? ha! :pacifier:

Nope!

I don't use it a ridiculous amount, But if there is an argument on here that descends into petty name calling because the other person isn't smart enough to argue back with a valid point, why should I be called a **** or whatever?

Nope!

I don't use it a ridiculous amount, But if there is an argument on here that descends into petty name calling because the other person isn't smart enough to argue back with a valid point, why should I be called a **** or whatever?

I would answer that, but you would report me! :winner_third_h4h:

Thing about slanging matches on fora in general really- let's be honest it's not life and death. So you have a bit of a spat, stuff happens- it's seldom particularly serious in any case. I'm not advocating it as clearly mods have a hard job but yeah two people having a bit of a go as standard- it's really not that much.

At the end of the day, people come on the forum yes to discuss things but also as a way of chilling out I guess- it's hardly an integral part of ones life, not like most users on fora know each other in real life in any case- so yeah we should all lighten up a bit and if a few harsh words in the heat of argument are spoken, then so be it- like I say, shit happens!

Boy, am I surprised that shit got through the swear filter! :icecream:

Thing about slanging matches on fora in general really- let's be honest it's not life and death. So you have a bit of a spat, stuff happens- it's seldom particularly serious in any case. I'm not advocating it as clearly mods have a hard job but yeah two people having a bit of a go as standard- it's really not that much.

At the end of the day, people come on the forum yes to discuss things but also as a way of chilling out I guess- it's hardly an integral part of ones life, not like most users on fora know each other in real life in any case- so yeah we should all lighten up a bit and if a few harsh words in the heat of argument are spoken, then so be it- like I say, shit happens!

Boy, am I surprised that shit got through the swear filter! :icecream:

I suppose it's different when you've been threatened, He's not around any more though so we're all lucky we don't have to listen to his ridiculous bile. And it's also my fault for not hiding behind an alias that threats get given one would suspect.

I think overall the mods do a very good job and should be praised.

There are a few too many threads descending into personal insults - the usual suspects trolling or having a go at the troll, I'd like to see those posters dealt with a bit more harshly because it clutters up the forum with drivel.

On the modding side I don't think we need as many locks as we have at the moment, perhaps give a thread a chance by posting a reminder of the rules on it and editing an offending post - don't lock a thread unless it's got multiple posts breaking the rules.

If someone breaks the rules, warn them. If they get too many warns, ban them. Do it all publicly so nobody can whinge about unfairness.

In general though posters need to take a bit of responsibility themselves, don't make ridiculous posts or if you do, at least don't get all upset when someone takes that post apart. Think about it first. Make it interesting to read. Don't attack the poster. It's not much to ask.

Report button- personally speaking I don't believe I've ever used a report button on any forum I post on. If a poster has a dig I will go in with a response of my own, rightly or wrongly. I tend to settle things like that on fora if the need arises with responses in the open as opposed to- well without wishing to offend, grassing in most instances I have a real issue with. It's almost like going to tell the teacher really.

Not many would argue that I'm the poster who takes the most abuse on here and tbh 95% of it is like water of a ducks back. I tend to think that those who resort to jibes and personal comments simply aren't able to debate in an adult fashion. Its all a tad immature.

But.....every so often I find that some posts step over the line and I have used the report button on a number of occaisions. That said I'm not sure it always works as I can remember one offensive thread that I reported and is still there for all to see - if you want to trawl back several months.

Its not a critism of the mods but I wonder just how effective the report button is.

Not many would argue that I'm the poster who takes the most abuse on here and tbh 95% of it is like water of a ducks back. I tend to think that those who resort to jibes and personal comments simply aren't able to debate in an adult fashion. Its all a tad immature.

But.....every so often I find that some posts step over the line and I have used the report button on a number of occaisions. That said I'm not sure it always works as I can remember one offensive thread that I reported and is still there for all to see - if you want to trawl back several months.

Its not a critism of the mods but I wonder just how effective the report button is.

not very, i believe, judging by the fact that 2 of the posters on this thread alone didn't even know it existed. not sure it's even needed.

I suppose it's different when you've been threatened, He's not around any more though so we're all lucky we don't have to listen to his ridiculous bile. And it's also my fault for not hiding behind an alias that threats get given one would suspect.

Threats are totally different, I'll grant you. Clearly that sort of thing needs to be reported, that or very serious to gravely offensive personal insults. I'd classify both of those as exceptional circumstances though.

You do take some fearsome stick at times no doubt about it, and I'd say you handle it well. Like I said, really serious stuff report or whatever but my way of dealing with it is to either ignore it or have a go back.

Archived