IGNORED

Brooker Released.

GrahamC

No real surprise seeing as he started just one game for them in two and a half years, but Steve Brooker has been let go by Doncaster today.

Not sure where he goes from here, sad, but we probably had the best of him.

No real surprise seeing as he started just one game for them in two and a half years, but Steve Brooker has been let go by Doncaster today.

Not sure where he goes from here, sad, but we probably had the best of him.

I heard he was going to Cheltenham on a pay as you play deal

Feel very, very sorry for the poor bugger. At his best and fully fit an absolutely cracking centre forward, as good as any I can remember at AG in a good many years, but appalling luck with injuries. Wish him well.

It seems some talented players just have bodies that cannot cope with the demands of modern professional football. I fear young Ribeiro may prove to be another, though I sincerely hope I'm wrong. Could be make or break for him next season: hope he doesn't end up going the same way as Brooker.

Feel very, very sorry for the poor bugger. At his best and fully fit an absolutely cracking centre forward, as good as any I can remember at AG in a good many years, but appalling luck with injuries. Wish him well.

It seems some talented players just have bodies that cannot cope with the demands of modern professional football. I fear young Ribeiro may prove to be another, though I sincerely hope I'm wrong. Could be make or break for him next season: hope he doesn't end up going the same way as Brooker.

Ditto, Cliff.

Lee Mathews was another who fits your description in the second paragraph. When he was fit he was a cracking player but sadly, like Brooker was rarely fit enough to play.

Ditto, Cliff.

Lee Mathews was another who fits your description in the second paragraph. When he was fit he was a cracking player but sadly, like Brooker was rarely fit enough to play.

I don't think Matthews was ever likely to be as good as Brooker. If he'd remained fit, I'm convinced Brooker would have played in the Premier League.

Ditto, Cliff.

Yep, quite agree Robbo. The paradox is that both were strong, powerful men who could out-muscle defenders and strike the fear of God into them when fit. How ironic that neither turned out to possess a body that could stand up to the battering.

Quite an odd time to release him though, given he's just got back from all of his injuries. Obviously it's only a matter of time, as you say, that he'll break down again.

Pay as you play? Poor blokes gonna be skint...

Nah he'll get a massive pay out from us as it was us who screwed his career up in the first place,

I think I read somwhere that he was sueing the club and that we don't have a leg to stand on,

Nah he'll get a massive pay out from us as it was us who screwed his career up in the first place,

I think I read somwhere that he was sueing the club and that we don't have a leg to stand on,

I'd do exactly the same in his position. It was a former employee of the club who messed up his treatment. I'm not sure who is responsible, the club or the individual practitioner. Both maybe.

I'd do exactly the same in his position. It was a former employee of the club who messed up his treatment. I'm not sure who is responsible, the club or the individual practitioner. Both maybe.

I think I read somthing last year in the post that it was our former physio or member of medical staff I'll see if i can dig out a link

Is probably one of my favourite City players in recent memory, at least in terms of talent. As someone has already mentioned the winner against Norwich in the last minute when he came back from injury was a special moment for all in the ground that day. It really is sad that Brooks never "made it" to a higher level, or even a consistant Championship performer because of injuries. Having met Steve at a few events etc he is a perfect gentleman and given better luck could have been a bit of a modern day legend at the Gate.

When fit he was excellent- imagine, a fully fit Maynard and Brooker leading the line in that season after the playoff final- would have been a handful for any defence at this level I think. Shame he was so blighted by injuries, just seems to affect some players particularly badly though.Key memory of his time here for me, his goal v Norwich in 2008.

Definitely one of my favourite players in the last 10 years.

Always gave 100% and in his case he really did!

Give him the ball on the edge of the box and he was usually unplayable. Nice close control, little shimmy and huge upperbody strength to give him a couple of inches then BAMM! Unstoppable shot unleashed to the top corner.

Take a bow son, take a bloody long bow.

Archived