IGNORED

Maynard Contract.

screech

Well I know this wont be popular but I couldn't care less really.

About time Nicky Maynard decided what he wants to do for next season, he's certainly had long enough now to decide, a month of no playing distractions so he can't have that old chestnut of "concentrating on my football" argument.

Albert decided within a week of the club announcing a new contract would be offered to him, understandably Maynard would take a little longer but a month? Personally I would give him another week to decide or the club need to decide for him, the longer he holds out on an answer the less we will get for him.

For example if he was to announce now he would like to pursue other avenues, you say fair enough and wait for the phone to ring, this would give interested clubs a chance to bid and gives us a better chance of a bidding war to bump the price up, Millen said he wants to be quick in the market this close season, I'm guessing if Maynard decided he would like to leave Millen gets to benefit from some money he never banked on getting, extra funds he may need to get all his targets early.

Only concern is that if we force the issue and he decides he wants to leave, an unhappy player is worth less i.e. the club have to cash in quickly.

Ideally get him to sign a new contract then if he wants to leave we can hold out for the best price, similar to the Dave Cotterill situation.

apologies if i have missed something here, but there is a point which strikes me as being important, especially in the light of the whole "does nicky owe the club anything" argument:

how, exactly, did he get injured?

scenario a - it was in training, or while playing football in some context approved by bcfc. it happens. there is insurance for injuries, and in this case fair enough if he wants to leave.

scenario b - if you believe some rumours, and it really did happen in a non-football context, doing something i am fairly sure the club would discourage, then we have to see it in a different light. then, you have a player who inflicted an injury on himself and still picked up what won't have been a small salary for playing, what, less than 15 games this year? guessing on the numbers, but from leeds away to his red card can't have been much more. take his salary for the year and divide it by that number of games, considering that the injruy (if true) was his own fault (again, only if true) and that is a LOT of money from SL and bcfc per game - and now he wants his wages doubled or tripled...?

we've seen with albert how quickly contracts can be sorted out. when it drags on, they either want huge money, want out, or want an extra year on top of whats being offered (probably carey in this category). i think he will be off, and suspect he has been "turned" by an agent. but i doubt i would do different in his shoes...money talks...

scenario b - if you believe some rumours, and it really did happen in a non-football context, doing something i am fairly sure the club would discourage, then we have to see it in a different light. then, you have a player who inflicted an injury on himself and still picked up what won't have been a small salary for playing, what, less than 15 games this year? guessing on the numbers, but from leeds away to his red card can't have been much more. take his salary for the year and divide it by that number of games, considering that the injruy (if true) was his own fault (again, only if true) and that is a LOT of money from SL and bcfc per game - and now he wants his wages doubled or tripled...?

That's more of a conspiracy theory than a rumour!

Such things definitely happen, there was an incident at wolves many years back which I'm reliably informed about

Anyway, out of interest what is the official story, when did he pick up the injury?

poorly phrased - all i was getting at, is if the injury happened somewhere doing somehting bcfc would have discouraged (ie, dry slope skiing etc) then its different than getting injured in training

Millen said recently that City , despite various press rumours, have had no contact from any other clubs regarding any of our first team players - including Maynard. Obviously announcing that publically is not simply co-incidence. Maynards agent is in negotiations with City.

The fact that QPR have made a £2.5m bid for Danny Graham is good news in that it suggests they would be reluctant to pay the sort of fee we can demand for Nicky. I suspect they will up their bid for Graham to say £3m and get their man.:fingerscrossed:

Id have no problem with him going,his best season was 21 goals which you would expect from any good front man,its not like we won anything,

How many players score 20 goals plus in an average Championship season I wonder? Sadly they don't grow on trees. For years we craved such a player; we now potentially have two in Maynard and Pitman. Why would we be relaxed about losing one of them? We may not have "won anything" when Nicky scored those goals (which was hardly his fault) but the probability of doing so will certainly be reduced if you take 20 goals out of the season. If we had scored another 15 goals this year we would have matched Reading so if Keith sorts out the defence and we keep Nicky next year looks potentially a whole lot better.

Yeah but hes not scoring 20 on average is he,say he didnt get those goals in his best season, im sure another striker would have chalked up at least 12,to keep us safe and still not win anything like we did............

if he'd have started every game this season he would have hit 20, yes.

Millen said recently that City , despite various press rumours, have had no contact from any other clubs regarding any of our first team players - including Maynard. Obviously announcing that publically is not simply co-incidence. Maynards agent is in negotiations with City.

Hope that it is so and we can sign NM.

Id have no problem with him going,his best season was 21 goals which you would expect from any good front man,its not like we won anything,

You best tell that to the 99% of front men in this division who don't score 21 goals in a season.

Ridiculous.

You best tell that to the 99% of front men in this division who don't score 21 goals in a season.

Ridiculous.

21 goals at any level in pro football is a big well done, if you do it in a side that is not in the promotion shake up even better, chances per game per ratio Andy Cole great at Man U, by god he got a few chances to score to get this ratio. Agree stupid comment.

21 goals at any level in pro football is a big well done, if you do it in a side that is not in the promotion shake up even better, chances per game per ratio Andy Cole great at Man U, by god he got a few chances to score to get this ratio. Agree stupid comment.

retard

Archived